Obstructed view cabin Rotterdam

celly

Hi everyone,

We are planning to book a category HH(fully obstructed) or DD (partially obstructed) on the Rotterdam.

Can anyone please tell me how obstructed is the HH cabin and also the DD?

Is the window(or prthole) completely covered by the life boat?

Thanks very much

Celly

It's not a lifeboat---it's the bulkhead. The lifeboats are up above you

I was in a fully-obstructed on the Rotterdam once; they were sold as insides then and I was upgraded to it.

There was a full bulkhead if I looked straight out or to my left, but if I looked to the right I could easily see the sea. Even without that there was the advantage of getting daylight, getting to/from lifeboat drill quickly and easily, being able to get outside to "my" veranda with ease.

It was a full window.

These cabins are good value as long as you don't get the ones at the very front of the ship. You can't see straight out but can see to the left and right.

All I need to know is day/night, wet/dry, port or at sea.

We have had them three times and been quite happy.

Bodger

I was in 3315---which is quite far forward---in 45' seas. The seas were that rough for 38 consecutive hours.

Not a picnic, to be sure, but it wasn't that bad, either.

Don't worry about where they put you. You'll do fine.

If I can get off from my work to go on the cruise, we will probably go ahead and book the fully obstructed cabin. Hope we do not get the ones at the front.

Are you booking a guarantee? Otherwise just select a cabin that isn't 3300/3301 and you should be ok. We have stayed in the 3312-3315 location on the Statendam and Ryndam and were happy.

Bodger

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bodger and Ruth for your input!

We decided to go ahead and book the HH guarentee. The agent offered cabin 3424 but we declined and decided on a guarentee. It is for the transatlantic april 5 Rio to Lisbon.. We were on the Rotterdam in december from Valparaiso to Rio and loved the ship very much. We are just getting on where we got off....., hotel and air being arranged by the cruise line. Just a very good deal!

• 4 weeks later...

Celly-

My partner and I are looking at the April 5th TA as well (Dakar and Casablanca are selling points for me - def off the beaten path). We sailed on the Z'dam last June and enjoyed HAL. We were wondering though - how formal do you think this crossing will be? Getting the other half in a suit is like dressing a 12 year old that will not stop fidgeting with his tie!

Also, you mentioned that HAl is doing the air. Are they doing a decent air/sea add-on? We are also considering the Insignia March 25th Rio-Lisbon. Great fares and free air for that sailing. Just curious as to how they will stack up.

• 2 years later...
Hi Ruth ...could you provide me your overall impression of cabin 3315 on the Rotterdam ...does it have a tub/shower...and what type view did you have?

It's just like every other outside cabin, in terms of layout. Yes, there's a tub---one with very high sides. This was a connecting cabin, but the door-in-the-wall was not a problem in any fashion.

When I looked out the window to the right I had a perfect view of the sea and sky; to the left, and straight ahead, was the bulkhead.

Remember, this thread is three years old, and I was in the cabin almost 6 years ago. I'm sure the only thing that's changed is my ability to remember, but I don't remember anything out of the ordinary.

Archived