Just returned Dawn 2/2-2/12

stellasue

The ship is beautiful and very well maintained. Embarkation was a relatively efficient and orderly. Our room steward and his assistant were lovely, friendly and did a teriffic job. We returned to New York several hours later than anticipated due to a heavy storm in the northeast. It created a sticky situation at the pier due to the convergence of those arriving for the next cruise and all of us who were diembarking. I must say that NCL handled the entire situation well. The captain kept us informed starting on Saturday night and during the delay on Sunday morning. The Garden Cafe was open during the delay and the Venetian dining room was also opened for those who wanted a "sit-down" lunch. Having said all of this, I must say that the food on the ship, in all venues, reeks of pennypinching, probably from the very top - Asian owned Star Lines. We ate at all of the restaurants except Cagney's as we prefer PRIME, AGED BEEF rather than "Black Angus Beef" which. on the ship is neither prime, nor aged (but they will not tell you unless you ask). I respect people's differences in taste and opinions - these are simply MY observations.

The ship is beautiful and very well maintained. Embarkation was a relatively efficient and orderly. Our room steward and his assistant were lovely, friendly and did a teriffic job. We returned to New York several hours later than anticipated due to a heavy storm in the northeast. It created a sticky situation at the pier due to the convergence of those arriving for the next cruise and all of us who were diembarking. I must say that NCL handled the entire situation well. The captain kept us informed starting on Saturday night and during the delay on Sunday morning. The Garden Cafe was open during the delay and the Venetian dining room was also opened for those who wanted a "sit-down" lunch. Having said all of this, I must say that the food on the ship, in all venues, reeks of pennypinching, probably from the very top - Asian owned Star Lines. We ate at all of the restaurants except Cagney's as we prefer PRIME, AGED BEEF rather than "Black Angus Beef" which. on the ship is neither prime, nor aged (but they will not tell you unless you ask). I respect people's differences in taste and opinions - these are simply MY observations.
sorry the food was not up to expectation: this seems to be a complaint of many, not only on NCL ships, but all mass marketed lines. Have you priced cruising now compared to 10 or 20 years ago and have you priced the cost of fuel and meat now compared to 10 years ago? Yes, the quality has gone down, but the prices have stayed rather stable; the lines have to cut back somewhere. I am surprised to hear you were not satisfied with the specialty restaurants. That is very unsual. You do have a right to your opinion, food is very subjective. I would like to ask what the line being owned by an Asian company has to do with anything? NMnita

We also came back yesterday from the Dawn and only ate in the speciality restaurants. Cagneys was very good while the others were fine.

Looking at the menus at the regular dining rooms left a lot to be desired.

Why should we be happy that the price of cruises has not gone up as much as fuel. Charge what it takes to keep cruising at the standards that use to exist. Now it's steam table food using the cheapest products possible.

Why raise the prices accordingly? Becasue, the more the price the fewer number of people could afford such a wonderful vacation experience. By keeping the price down more families and people of average means can enjoy what only was affordable by the upper middle class for years. There are 10 times more ships in the water today and the business has become very competitive. Cruiselines, like other forms of vacationing now offer a product with less frills at a lower price. For those who want to go more upscale they can opt for the extras like specialty dining or they can cruise on the luxury lines. The lowering of standards cross over into other fazes of travel. First class air used to offer top notch food, the 747s had cheese and crackers plus other appitizers available on large tables throughout the entire flight. Regular class served meals, now none of this pertains. Most mid range and higher range hotels used to offer turn down service with the higher priced rooms. The turn down service came complete with chocolates and sometimes a liquoir on the pillows: most have discontinued the service. Travel is very different today than 10 or 20 years ago and I for one think, for the most part it is better. NMnita

Why raise the prices accordingly? Becasue, the more the price the fewer number of people could afford such a wonderful vacation experienceooms. Travel is very different today than 10 or 20 years ago and I for one think, for the most part it is better. NMnita

I certainly understand the economics of such a statement, but it does not seem that we need to accept less in order to cruise, or any other type of vacation for that matter.

Food, dining, and the simple pleasure of sharing a meal with friends is one of the big draws for many who select a certain cruise, vacation, or travel of any kind.

Everything else in our lives has escalated in price. Why we would not expect to also be paying a little more for each individual ticket on a cruise is not understandable. We certainly pay much more for our land vacations than we did ten or twenty years ago.

Personally, I would rather pay more, and be able to read many, many more happy reviews rather than the complaints which we are seeing all across these boards within the past few months.

This just is not good business, and ultimately, it will cause some, if not many, to opt for other types of vacations, where they do have a choice of fine food, as opposed to mediocre.

I don't believe that any one needs to feel that this is the way of things, and we just have to accept it.

There surely are other places that the cruise lines can cut corners, rather in the very heart of the experience for many.

I certainly understand the economics of such a statement, but it does not seem that we need to accept less in order to cruise, or any other type of vacation for that matter.

Food, dining, and the simple pleasure of sharing a meal with friends is one of the big draws for many who select a certain cruise, vacation, or travel of any kind.

Everything else in our lives has escalated in price. Why we would not expect to also be paying a little more for each individual ticket on a cruise is not understandable. We certainly pay much more for our land vacations than we did ten or twenty years ago.

Personally, I would rather pay more, and be able to read many, many more happy reviews rather than the complaints which we are seeing all across these boards within the past few months.

This just is not good business, and ultimately, it will cause some, if not many, to opt for other types of vacations, where they do have a choice of fine food, as opposed to mediocre.

I don't believe that any one needs to feel that this is the way of things, and we just have to accept it.

There surely are other places that the cruise lines can cut corners, rather in the very heart of the experience for many.

Try Seabourne.

Cheers,

Norman

Try Seabourne.

Cheers,

Norman

No way! I have stated over and over on these boards (should have included it again, I guess), that NCL suits us just fine.

I should have known this would be taken the wrong way. The statements are intended as more of a concern than a criticism. I need to learn how to get the voice inflection into these posts!!

Thanks, but no thanks for the suggestion Norman, I will stay right here with the rest of the loyalists!

No way! I have stated over and over on these boards (should have included it again, I guess), that NCL suits us just fine.

I should have known this would be taken the wrong way. The statements are intended as more of a concern than a criticism. I need to learn how to get the voice inflection into these posts!!

Thanks, but no thanks for the suggestion Norman, I will stay right here with the rest of the loyalists!

Good point! Many critical posts are meant to reinforce what we tell the cruise line on our comment cards. I

Good point! Many critical posts are meant to reinforce what we tell the cruise line on our comment cards. I too think the food on NCL slipped and that it could be fixed for a modest cost.

22 Years ago a 7 day Carnival Cruise with porthole cost me 2,500 for cruise/with air from Boston to Miami. The difference that i have a lil problem with these days are the incidentals that you "have" to pay for.

A Cruise ship with 7-10 "speciality" restaurants are now collecting "new" revenues that dont have to be "shared" with the wholesalers be it a mom and pop travel agency or large outfit. In the past, other than booze, pretty much all was included in the price of the ship. I remember the soda machines and ice cream machines on deck. Ice tea was also available. and the "white glove" service you recieved in the main dining rooms are now mostly only in the pay as you go eating establishments aboard. I cant see putting a Starbucks/Seattle coffee stand onboard no more than a Johnny Rockets.... but i agree with most.. if i want to step back and re-live that era.. i'll dig deep down and book a Seaborn or Crystal. but in the meantime.. it still fascinates me that you can book in some cases, a 10-13 day repo cruise for under 1200 pp so i guess you can say i get "double" the cruise for the same money go figure? enjoyed reading all your comments

your pal

Why raise the prices accordingly? Becasue, the more the price the fewer number of people could afford such a wonderful vacation experience. By keeping the price down more families and people of average means can enjoy what only was affordable by the upper middle class for years. There are 10 times more ships in the water today and the business has become very competitive. Cruiselines, like other forms of vacationing now offer a product with less frills at a lower price. For those who want to go more upscale they can opt for the extras like specialty dining or they can cruise on the luxury lines. The lowering of standards cross over into other fazes of travel. First class air used to offer top notch food, the 747s had cheese and crackers plus other appitizers available on large tables throughout the entire flight. Regular class served meals, now none of this pertains. Most mid range and higher range hotels used to offer turn down service with the higher priced rooms. The turn down service came complete with chocolates and sometimes a liquoir on the pillows: most have discontinued the service. Travel is very different today than 10 or 20 years ago and I for one think, for the most part it is better. NMnita

I agree Nina. I believe the main line cruise lines have done a remarkable job of holding the cost down while keeping food and service to the level it has now. I also believe most people would be shocked at how much the fares would have to raise to meet the standards they are asking for. A few bucks wouldn't do it. A 15-20 % increase might get a better grade of meat but that wouldn't improve preperation on the ships today with so many people to feed with the galley space they have. To improve that would mean more galley space and many more chefs. Big bucks.

I never worry too much about what others say about food anyway. Taste is so subjective not to mention medicine and even the mineral levels in your body can affect taste. I went six months where the smell of bread and eggs would cause me to gag. Very little tasted right. I was using a quack for a doctor who couldn't figure it out. I finally researched on my own and found my level of zinc was low. Started taking a suppliment and with in a few days, my taste started coming back to normal.

As others has said, there are luxury lines out there for those that want that. I'd hate to see all the lines raise fares enough to become luxury lines and see so many people left out of cruising.

Archived