Snorkeling post CABG surgery

lobsternight

I am looking for some feedback for myself as a post bypass and aorta rebuild (5 years ago) with regards to snorkeling.  It has always been my dream to try a discover scuba class, but apparently most information says that is a no go.  I see most excursions ask for a medical waiver and have the right to refuse.  I am not a strong swimmer, and would not go in with strong currents, generally I am super content  bobbing about in 4 to 10 feet of water, so even doing another one of those shallow sting ray adventures would be ideal.

I have spoken to my doctor about it, and she seems to think as long as I keep shallow and don't over exert myself it should be OK.  I had a second opinion but unfortunately that doctor (very foreign) had no idea what snorkeling was, and even after Googling the topic could not comprehend what it was all about, so no use there.

Just hoping for some feedback from those who have had similar medical issues, and what they have experienced.  I will go back for an exam prior to our next cruise and address it again to be on the safe side.  Its just that our next trip is the big one, taking the whole family, and plan water excursions at 7 ports.  Thanks in advance.

A prior CABG is not an absolute rule out for Snorkeling or Scuba.  You're clearly thinking properly, and not trying to "get around" anything.  The primary concern is does your cardiovascular condition allow you to tolerate not only the exercise of the activity as planned, but also for a reasonably foreseeable additional load brought on by a change in conditions.  Also factor in the requirements of getting to and from the site (entry and egress from boats, carrying equipment, etc).  While you're focused on snorkeling, I'll attached the medical evaluation for for scuba.  For scuba, including a Discover Scuba Course, the idea is that a "yes" answer on an item with an asterisk requires a review by a physician.  In the case you describe, I'd think your cardiologist would be the logical physician to consult, but if that's not working out for whatever reason, look for a hospital near you with a hyberbaric medicine department.  A physician there would almost certainly be able to review your case for fitness to snorkel or scuba. 

Also, once you have this form with a sign-off, you can have copies with you, and generally it will replace the medical questionaire the dive operator gets "on the spot" from others. 

Harris

Denver, Co

TR-MEDICAL-DIVER_English-Metric.pdf

Edited by omeinv
  • Like 1

Thank you omeinv, and what a great resource file you attached, almost feel like it should be a permanent item on this page.

Well i can see way too many yes boxes for me, there is no way I would get a doctor to sign off on it.  I guess my snorkeling days are done, but do have many happy memories.  Will send the wife and kids and stick to beach days for myself.  Two things would really suck, first is having another event, the second would be spoiling an excursion for everyone else while they drag my lieing butt back to shore. 

• 4 months later...

I see plenty of post-CABG patients who swim, I see no reason to cross snorkeling off the list.  If you can go in a pool, you can snorkel in calm waters.

Just the opinion of an RN who is also an avid snorkeler (and also not in ideal physical condition).

On 9/13/2021 at 6:01 PM, brillohead said:

I see plenty of post-CABG patients who swim, I see no reason to cross snorkeling off the list.  If you can go in a pool, you can snorkel in calm waters.

Just the opinion of an RN who is also an avid snorkeler (and also not in ideal physical condition).

Thank you for that, was sort of my opinion too.  I suppose I should get a doctors note anyway  I'm doing well and don't see an issue, but suppose it's a case of liability.  Either that or wear a turtleneck  as its hard to hide the scars once you are a member of the zipper club.  We recently canceled our souther caribbean but have booked hawaii and am considering south pacific, and damn I want to snorkel  

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

As a cardiac ultrasound professional, I see no reason why swimming and snorkeling would off the table for you.  Only the exertion moving in the water would be the concern.  Ask your cardiologist about doing water aerobics to build stamina.