Maps - buy here or at port?

Hi,
We're planning to do some sightseeing on our own in Venice, Athens, Kudasi/Ephesus, Citavecchia/Rome, Naples/Capri and Monte Carlo.
Any advice on whether we should purchase maps beforehand (if so, from where?), or once we get to port? or are there free yet usable ones available from the tourist info centres at the ports?
Thank you!

FYI... just in case you are a member of AAA, they can send mail you maps for free.

[url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=1683059817&m=567105281&r=567105281#567105281"]Roll Call on Brilliance of the Seas 06/17/05[/url]

Enchantment of the Seas, RCCL, 11/01 - Eastern Caribbean
Tropicale, Carnival 08/99 - Western Caribbean

I would get them at the tourist office in the ports/cities when you dock as they usually have really good ones as well as walking tour maps for those on their own,and other assorted info. We have always done that and never had a problem.If you are going to be in a city for any lenght of time a laminated map is a good way to go and most travel stores sell them or Magellan's has them as well on their web site.

Karen
Ü

Thank you everyone for the pointers.
Unfortunately, our AAA membership just expired! :P
Will probably look at tourist offices then [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

For me, trip planning is half the fun, so I like to have maps ahead of time. I love to get the lay of the land, and mark where the things I want to see are located. Many large book stores have maps, and they are available on the net as well.

I think you are okay to pick up the maps locally, unless perhaps you are going to be renting a car and driving. You can't always count on a rental agency to supply you with decent maps, and sometimes you might not be able to dig them up easily.

A good site for road maps is, [url="http://www.longitudebooks.com"]www.logitudebooks.com[/url]. They specialize in travel books generally, and stock lots of good road maps.

Wendy
PG May, 2000
PG April, 2003
Diamond, 14/06/04

On the AAA question - they do have a limited amount of European books/maps that come free w/ your membership. They have a fre Europe tourbook that begins to whet your appetite, not too in depth for any country.
Country wide road maps are also available free, i.e. Portugal/Spain, France, etc. They show main routes, drive times between major cities, etc. Those have inset maps of major cities, but the inset maps aren't in great detail.
You can go to AAA.com and enter your membership number and order these if your office doesn't carry them.
More detailed maps/tour books are available from AAA, but they do charge for them. Member costs are less than what you would pay at a bookstore, newstand, etc. Just make sure that what you are getting is the current year document.
The AAA spiral guides are very good, but they aren't free. Best price is at AAA office, but can also order at barnes noble bn.com/aaa; if order more than $25, shipping is free. About same cost as AAA office, but saves you a trip.

94 Fantasy - Bahamas
95 Fantasy - Bahamas
02 Inspiration - West Carrib
03 Sensation - Exotic West Carrib
04 Royal Princess - European Explorer

Archived