Riverside Hotel

Jan_In_Maine

We have booked our pre-cruise hotel for Amerisuites (I know it might not be the best - but it is during the boat show in October and nothing else is available - I am glad that we took everyone's suggestions and booked a room last November)

We are staying down an extra day to enjoy the sun (hopefully) (11/5/06) before we fly back to cold November weather in Maine. I decided that I wanted something nice, something different, but not really expensive - and I came across the Riverside Hotel which seems to have received favorable reviews on this board. Would this be convenient if we have to use taxi's to get around? Approximately how much for taxi from the port to the hotel? and from the hotel to the airport? What is there to do in this area? (on foot/cab) how far to the beach? Any place nice for dinner that is not very expensive?

Any other ideas/advice/comments, etc. would be appreciated. I'm so looking forward to going and love all the ideas that I find on these boards. Thanks Jan

Jan, The Riverside is in a FANTASTIC location:D. I have not stayed

there but I have been inside the lobby.

It is located right in the middle of Las Olas Blvd.....with TONS

of restaurants and shops on both sides of the building!:)

You will not need a cab to walk the blvd. I am guessing it is about

10.00 - 15.00 cab ride (with tip) to the airport.

Enjoy yourselves~the choices of food on Las Olas is amazing!

From burgers to crepes to seafood to eclectic to.....you get

the idea;) and most of the restaurants have menus posted outside so

you can see the offerings and prices.

Oh, you will need a cab to the beach but it is not that far away!

Thanks for the information Lois - you haven't steared me wrong yet! - Perhaps one day we will end up meeting! I made reservations today for one of the tower rooms - I called them and the price was less than what they have listed on their web site. Thanks again. Jan

Jan,

Not that Lois's recommendations need affirmation, but just wanted to jump in with a thumbs-up for the Riverside. Like Lois, I've never sayed there (I stay w/ Mommy <g>), but we often go to the Riverside for lunch or dinner. It's beautiful hotel in a great location on La Olas. There are tons of restaurants, shops and bars on Las Olas so you could walk the blvd every night and have drinks, dinner and dessert in 3 different places ecah night and never hit the same spot.

We especially like the restaurant "Mark's Las Olas", but warn you that it's very noisy. So it might be a good choice for lunch or if you happen to eat dinner early. The food there is fantastic.

Have a great time.

Jane

Jan,

As everyone else has said you will not go wrong with the Riverside. Make sure you get a room in the newer section. They are much more comfortable. The older section is dated but still not bad.

mcboo:) :)

You made a great choice! We stayed at the Riverside in a new tower room in Dec. Like I said before in other posts, you will love it. It is convenient to everything like Lois said. We ate at Mangoes just down the street and really enjoyed it. Elizabet at the front desk is a real gem. She went out of her way for us.

Two thumbs up!:D

Thanks all - I've found that after a cruise is all over that there is always a total let down of stepping off the ship, rushing to the airport and heading home. I'm now really excited about having the extra day and finding a hotel that seems to be exactly what I was looking for. (but as Lois says "so many choices so little time") - every new town, every new street is the beginning of a new adventure

Jane - nothing wrong with dessert at 3 different places! I have made a note of "Marks" and will look for it - thanks for the ideas.

I'll make sure I look for Elizabet - thanks again all for the reassuance! Jan

Archived