Olden or Geiranger

Pag4

Hi fellow cruisers,

For all of you who have been to these ports, I would like to know which port between Olden and Geiranger will be better in terms of scenic views, waterfalls and rain factor. Not sure if June and July dates makes a difference on weather at all. We have 2 teens, active and will be able to hike. I have only googled info's but would like to hear from someone who's been there. 

Itinerary A: Reykjavik, Isafjordur, Akureyri, Alesund, OLDEN,  Bergen,  Amsterdam,  Brussels,  London (June 15 embarkation)

Itinerary B: Reykjavik, Isafjordur, Akureyri, Alesund, GERAINGER,  Bergen,  Amsterdam,  Brussels,  London (July 6 embarkation)

Thank you in advance for your input.

Maryann

Both Geiranger and Olden are good destinations albeit different attractions.  Both have beautiful viewpoints - Olden has Loen Skylift and Briksdal glaciers while Geiranger has ‘The Seven Sisters’ waterfalls and and several fine viewpoints.  
Both have a scenic cruising, so be prepared to be up very early in the morning to follow the sailing through the narrow fjords. 
Personally, I prefer June as there is still snow on the mountains and more sunny.  
It can be cold (40 to 60 F) and maybe rainy so remember some warmer clothes.

I love Geiranger, especially if you enjoy hiking. There are some great trails you can reach on foot from the cruise pier:

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/upload/pdf/TurKart.pdf

I’ve visited on two port calls, and both times it amazed me how as soon as we headed into the woods, we were able to leave thousands of other cruisers behind and feel like we had the place to ourselves. We did run into a cruise excursion on the hike to Storseterfoss, but I don’t recommend that hike anyway. Go for the fjord views (Vesteråsfjellet, Løsta, etc). Both times we started with the hike up to Vesterås farm, which starts just past the Hotel Union. Easy to find, and not far from the port (especially if you take the steps up to the church to avoid the switchbacks in the road).

In terms of timing, you won’t see a huge difference in climate or waterfall intensity between mid-June and early July. I do like June a bit better for travel in Norway, because July is summer holidays in Norway, and a lot of places lose their regular vibe because they empty of locals and leave only tourists.