Barry from Boston

Cholly

He was on the Jewel in September as another poster had stated. Went to his Elton John tribute, stayed less than 60 seconds. Either my ears are not functioning properly or we all just have extremely different tastes in music :p. Hope you are able to hunt him down.......

He used to drown out conversations in Portofino's with the doors closed aboard the Jewel in October 04... and he wasnt aboard this last repo in 2005. But I have to admit he was really into it and put his heart and soul into his act... just not my cup of tea trying to talk over him and his playing.

your pal

He used to drown out conversations in Portofino's with the doors closed aboard the Jewel in October 04... and he wasnt aboard this last repo in 2005. But I have to admit he was really into it and put his heart and soul into his act... just not my cup of tea trying to talk over him and his playing.

your pal

Barry from Boston (Barry Rocklin)performed on the Jewel repositioning cruise in 2004 and also on some of the Jewel's cruises out of Boston last fall including the last roundtrip cruise before last year's repositioning. He also performs on Boston's South Shore, such as Isaac's in Plymouth. He has a very loyal following and fills the Schooner Bar every night. However, there are those who do not especially care for him. As you can see from the posts on this thread, the reviews are mixed. If he performs on your cruise, go and listen and decide for yourself. In the end, all that really matters is whether or not you enjoy his performance.:)

We sailed on the Voyager to Bermuda in 05, Barry is the best entertainer in the Schonner bar we have seen. When he plays, it's standing room only, next time you are aboard RCCL ask a bartender if they like Barry from Boston! I hope he's on our next cruise!:rolleyes:

Barry is certainly a talent, but I can understand why some people may not like him. He claims (and shows) that he knows like 700+ songs by heart. I found him to be quite enjoyable and I know his tip jar was filled every night. Barry seems to keep his website (http://www.barryfromboston.com) up to date to reflect his current and upcoming gigs.

We sailed on the Voyager to Bermuda in 05, Barry is the best entertainer in the Schonner bar we have seen. When he plays, it's standing room only, next time you are aboard RCCL ask a bartender if they like Barry from Boston! I hope he's on our next cruise!:rolleyes:

I have never seen Barry but I did check out the video from the link I dropped in my last post. He seems very energenic. That could be good for some people & not for others.

Personally the best Schooner entertainer I've come across is Peter Ritz. He has a huge catalog of songs, plays not only piano but electric keyboards & harmonica along to backing tracks that he programs himself.

His vocals are much more full & soulful than what I hear from Barry's video.

You can hear some recordings I made of Peter Ritz on my website if you would like to listen to the, IMO, best Schooner Bar entertainer around

We had Barry on 2 cruises and both times the bar was empty. He plays pretty good but he was a jerk. He kept saying this is your cruise so ask for what you want to hear, but then proceded to tell more than one person that he already played that song earlier and only played a song once a night no matter what (that is a real jerk).So if you get there late you might not get to hear the song you want to hear because somebody requested it 3 hours ago. If you really want a good showman see if you can find Enselmo Boles if he is still with Rccl. He is not the best piano player but he is such a great entertainer that you never notice that he dosen't always know the tune. We had such good times with him even some of the other crew members made comments about the nights in the schonner bar. They were beyond standing room only, and he always played till way after he was suppose to quit.

Flips

• 11 months later...

Just Returned From The Voyager On January 20 And Barry From Boston Was Performing In The Schooner Bar. I Am Pretty Sure He Is There Until Sometime In Feb. Check Out His Web Site He Keeps It Up To Date. I Heard Barry The First Time About Four Years Ago On A Rccl Cruise. We Had Such A Great Time We Have Been Booking Our Cruises Around Him Since. Not Only Is He The Most Talented Piano Bar Player I Have Ever Seen He Is Also The Hardest Working. The Schooner Bar Is Packed Every Night. People Stay The Entire Night From Start To Finish. As For Him Being A Jerk Because He Doesn't Repeat Songs Is Just Ridiculous. For The People Who Are There Enjoying Him, We Do Not Want To Hear The Same Songs Over And Over. He Knows 700 Songs I Think You Can Find Another One That You Like If Your Song Was Played Already. For People Who Have Never Seen Him. Don't Miss Him. If They Had A Best Entertainer On Cruise Ship Award He Would Defintely Get My Vote.

Cruised the Western Carribean recently with a party of ten, ages 31 through 84! We all found a common place to have fun in the Schooner Bar with Barry from Boston. Thank God he doesn't play the same song more than once or I would have been forced to listen to "American Pie" (9 minutes long!) more than once a night. Many of us spent the whole night there and made new friends from around the country. On a cruise the most importnat thing to do is find out where you have a good time and go there! We along with a bar full or other people, found that to be with Barry. He gave us great insight into shore excursions and really cared about our good time. We will DEFINITELY cruise with him again, and I suggest you do as well.

Archived