Crown Princess to Hawaii - New to the Princess Line

mamajean1113

2 hours ago, skynight said:

Princess ships almost always dock at the San Pedro World Cruise Center which has two piers at right angles to each other. Think the numbers are pier 92 & 93. It is easy to spot your ship as you enter the drop off area. There is also an outer harbor pier by the Cabrillo Marina which is seldom used by Princess.

i think you misread my comment i wasn't asking for this info, i was referring to if you stay in long beach and not san pedro because there is also the long beach cruise terminal.

6 hours ago, vampiress said:

i know everyone tries to stay as close to the pier as possible, but i find san pedro too quiet.  i prefer to stay in long beach down town, the marriott or westin.  downtown long beach is walkable, has a free shuttle, some shopping, grocery and drug stores, aquarium, movie theater.  its just a bit of a nice relax and mosey area at the pike. and some things to see at the queen mary.  it's about a 20 minute lyft/uber the morning, little to no traffic. 

you do have to be very specific about which pier you are going to when booking your ride.

san pedro is a cute sleepy town that closes up quite early.  there are stores, but i found them more difficult to get to requiring a lyft/uber. 

i think people discount long beach, but i'd like to offer it as an alternative and it has a ton of food options for dinner.

No one discounts Long Beach, but it is inconvenient for San Pedro cruises and it isn't so exciting that it warrants the effort.

I'd rather be close to the terminal and Uber to Long Beach if I want "excitement" than be in Long Beach overnight and have to Uber to San Pedro. It is just another layer of complication.

9 hours ago, vampiress said:

i think you misread my comment i wasn't asking for this info, i was referring to if you stay in long beach and not san pedro because there is also the long beach cruise terminal.

Yes, of course. You have to mention to the driver that you want to go to the cruise ship pier in San Pedro. 

20 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

We are from Rye. We’re on NCL,  I think the Getaway or the Breakaway on February 27 to the Bahamas. Anything to get out of New York winter. Desperate not to have another winter trapped in the house. Driving to the pier takes about 40 minutes.

I have been on the Breakaway and it is a BIG ship.  Beautifully designed.  I am going on the Getaway in April.  It is the same class of ship.  Lots of people, I believe it holds 4200 passengers.  We love the Gem, smaller ship, we don't need all those bells and whistles that are on the bigger ships!  Going on her to the Caribbean Feb. 28, rebooked because the one in Feb 2021 was cancelled.  Fingers crossed we can sail out of NYC!  Enjoy you upcoming trip.  

20 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

OP: A great experience!! Be aware, if you plan on signing up for it, you'll need to plan ahead. No open toe shoes are allowed on the tour. The swag that you receive takes up space in your luggage. Don't unfold the robes!! They'll take more space if you open them & try to refold. The robes are quality stuff, they weigh 2# each (4 extra pounds in your luggage. I'm 5'4" and on me they're floor-length. 2 pockets & a sash tie. I replaced the tie with an extra long zipper to make sure it stays closed (much easier to use).

The tablets are 8.5" X 5.5" X 3/4". They'll last a long time. I still have mine from 5 years ago. 

We got a picture from the visit to the bridge (all the participants with the captain)...no apron. After the bridge visit they provide drinks and IIRC chocolate covered strawberries. YMMV on what's provided.

Run. Do not walk to Passenger Services as soon as you board the ship.

Wow sounds like it is worth the $150.  We did a ship tour once and found it most interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes.  I will let our party know about this and we will try to "run" to make a reservation upon embarkation.  Thank you!!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vampiress said:

i know everyone tries to stay as close to the pier as possible, but i find san pedro too quiet.  i prefer to stay in long beach down town, the marriott or westin.  downtown long beach is walkable, has a free shuttle, some shopping, grocery and drug stores, aquarium, movie theater.  its just a bit of a nice relax and mosey area at the pike. and some things to see at the queen mary.  it's about a 20 minute lyft/uber the morning, little to no traffic. 

you do have to be very specific about which pier you are going to when booking your ride.

san pedro is a cute sleepy town that closes up quite early.  there are stores, but i found them more difficult to get to requiring a lyft/uber. 

i think people discount long beach, but i'd like to offer it as an alternative and it has a ton of food options for dinner.

Thank you for your advice - we have a while before we can make airplane/hotel reservations.  I started a notebook and writing down all of the things we need to do and take into consideration.

53 minutes ago, mamajean1113 said:

Wow sounds like it is worth the $150.  We did a ship tour once and found it most interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes.  I will let our party know about this and we will try to "run" to make a reservation upon embarkation.  Thank you!!!!

49 minutes ago, mamajean1113 said:

Thank you for your advice - we have a while before we can make airplane/hotel reservations.  I started a notebook and writing down all of the things we need to do and take into consideration.

On the morning of the tour you report to a hallway near the bridge. You need to bring your passports. I guess to have access to non passenger areas. Also staying in Long Beach is easy and much nicer than San Pedro. You can go to the Aquarium too. Better places to eat . What difference doesn’t make if you are taking an Uber or taxi from LAX and then to the pier. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Don’t miss the nighttime game shows put on by the cruise staff: the Liar’s Club, Newlywed not so Newlywed game and if it’s Oscar time they do a fall down hysterical show on movies.

20 hours ago, Papa Yoda said:

I think we have 8 robes, or more, it's maybe our favorite "excursion".   Our other indulgence/"excursion" is Chef's Table - I hope they will still have it.

Seeing the sheet folding machine in operation is almost worth the whole deal...

20 hours ago, Papa Yoda said:

I think we have 8 robes, or more, it's maybe our favorite "excursion".   Our other indulgence/"excursion" is Chef's Table - I hope they will still have it.

Seeing the sheet folding machine in operation is almost worth the whole deal...

The sheet folding machines are amazing! And how about the size of the washer/dryers. Gives you a real appreciation for the complexities of running the ship.

• Like 1

I've sailed on both Norwegian and Princess quite a bit.   I absolutely hated the Bliss (too many people for my liking, and don't get me started on the elevator situation). I enjoyed the Norwegian Jewel.

Princess in my opinion is a step up from Norwegian.  Everything from, dining to service.  Just a little classier if I can find a word for it.  Not stuffy, and there is a good age variation unlike HAL which tends to cater to the older crowd (I'm older and I like HAL 😁).  I've currently got 3 Princess cruises booked.   

With all that being said, if I was given a chance to cruise on either cruise line I would jump on it.   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

I've sailed on both Norwegian and Princess quite a bit.   I absolutely hated the Bliss (too many people for my liking, and don't get me started on the elevator situation). I enjoyed the Norwegian Jewel.

Princess in my opinion is a step up from Norwegian.  Everything from, dining to service.  Just a little classier if I can find a word for it.  Not stuffy, and there is a good age variation unlike HAL which tends to cater to the older crowd (I'm older and I like HAL 😁).  I've currently got 3 Princess cruises booked.   

With all that being said, if I was given a chance to cruise on either cruise line I would jump on it.   

Thank you, we are so looking forward to a change and seeing what other lines are like.

On 6/5/2021 at 8:58 AM, Treasure Hunter said:

The sheet folding machines are amazing! And how about the size of the washer/dryers. Gives you a real appreciation for the complexities of running the ship.

Indeed!  3 massive drums in each washing machine, scalding hot water.  Good thing guest laundry isn't done in those giants - that's in a separate area called Valet laundry.

On 6/2/2021 at 2:44 PM, mamajean1113 said:

We just booked a 15 day cruise to Hawaii from L.A. in February of 2023!!  We have only sailed NCL - 4 in the past and 2 booked for 2022.  Anyone that has been on an NCL ship and a Princess ship what differences can we expect?  NCL has a casual atmosphere where you can dress up or not on certain nights, does the Crown Princess have a formal night?  Can you eat at any time or do you have to eat the same time each night?  Are there specialty restaurants where you have to pay extra?  We live on the east coast so we always drove to the pier in NYC.  This is the first time we will be flying to the ship.  Are there hotels convenient to the pier? Sorry for all the questions!  I have been viewing You Tube videos of the ship and it looks so lovely.  Going to Hawaii is a life long dream of mine.  Thank you in advance for any advice.

The Criwn does have formal night , slacks and sport jacket is fine or break out the Tux . They do have anytime dining or you can eat early or late with the same dinner mates. There are specialty restaurants, steak , Italian, Seafood . 
Cruising out of FFL  there are plenty of hotels close to the port . 
You'll love the Crown it’s a great ship 

18 hours ago, Cenotediver said:

The Criwn does have formal night , slacks and sport jacket is fine or break out the Tux . They do have anytime dining or you can eat early or late with the same dinner mates. There are specialty restaurants, steak , Italian, Seafood . 
Cruising out of FFL  there are plenty of hotels close to the port . 
You'll love the Crown it’s a great ship 

This probably should be changed to Princess may have anytime dining allowing some walk ups. Under the new Dine My Way the any time dining selection has been eliminated. You can only reserve dining times, and there is no table to share option. There is an option to link with others if you know their booking numbers. Dine My Way assigns a table size. Exception, Club Class Dining remains anytime.