What happened to whale excursions in Caribbean

Years back,  RCi offered whale watching tours off the coast of the Dominican Republic during the last part of January through March.  I believe that year was the only time the excursions were offered  as there were too many complaints and demands for money back due to seeing nothing or becoming so seasick passengers could not stand up.

That aside, the humpbacks give birth there and raise their calves until they are ready to travel to colder waters. It is wonderful to watch.

I know that one main issue that contributed to an end to RCI offering that excursion was the type of boats used; they were not your conventional whale watching boat that most people come to expect.- essentially they used one-level tenders that had a partial Bimini hard top. Most people boarded the tender on the ship expecting to go to land and get on a bigger boat- much to the shock of most of the passengers, especially the seniors, it didn't happen. 

There was, obviously, no guarantee of seeing the humpbacks, but we were fortunate.   There were several other boats checking out the area and communicating via radio. We raced from spot to spot to catch them. Several mothers and their calves gave us a show. Unfortunately, at about 8 miles off the coast, even in 5-8 seas, most of the passengers on the tender became very seasick to the point that the mates were using mops to wipe the vomit off them and the deck. There were  some decent swells and many passengers were screaming when they weren't vomiting. I had a great time, took some great pictures and helped the mates hand out bags. I did not mop.

When we returned, about half the passengers went to medical and many others went to Guest Services to complain.

I believe the following year, that particular excursion was not offered.

Edited by MaritimeR&R