OBC for Bahamas Health Visa

My family of 5 is sailing on AOS out of Nassau on 7/17.  When we booked the cruise on 5/13, we were told we would get OBC for the amount that we spend obtaining the necessary Bahamas Health Visa.  Royal is now telling me this is not and never has been their policy, which is of course not true.  Does anyone happen to have a screen shot of the  RCL website FAQ section that stated this OBC credit was to be given?  Or anything in writing from RCL regarding this?  It amounts to $200 for our family which is not a big deal but the principle of them changing the policy on this without letting us know makes me livid.  I just spent about an hour on the phone with an agent and a supervisor only to be told that I have no proof and that it is not their policy. I was also told that the reservation agent would have made a note in my file if they promised this to me -- I invite them to go back and listen to the call when I booked the cruise as it was made very clear to me, but I have no control over what was noted in my file...   I am supposed to be getting a call back from a manager in the  next 48 hours and would love to be able to show them a screen shot or other type of proof that this was indeed their policy when we booked our cruise.  Thanks for any help anyone can give! 

I remember reading this as well. Not long ago someone posted on CC asking about it and posted a shot from something stating that it would be reimbursed as OBC. I don't know if it was from RCCL site or not. Here is what I found on RCCL blog  .Bahamas Health Visa Info - Royal Caribbean Discussion - Royal Caribbean Blog

• Like 1

We booked ours on March 25 and I could have sworn I saw this as well! Pretty crappy of RC to all of a sudden act like they never said it when they know that they did. And their IT could tell them exactly what days it was on the site so they would be able to tell if someone really booked under those terms. 

27 minutes ago, Midwestgal said:

Well this will be interesting to see if they honor it, can’t see how they couldn’t….please keep us posted !

The fine print at the bottom says the policies are subject change without notice. 

• Haha 1

I don't think telling people you will reimburse them for costs is the kind of thing that is covered by the fine print though. It's not a change to the protocols, rules, or restrictions. Those are all definitely changing by the week and that should be expected. But getting someone to buy something by telling them you will refund them for something and then saying after they have made the purchase that you will no longer honor the refund is a breach of contract on RCs part. Here's the fine print:

"Health and safety protocols, guest conduct rules, as well as regional travel restrictions and clearance to visit ports of call, are subject to change without notice based on ongoing evaluation, public health standards, and government requirements. Onboard and destination experiences, features, itineraries and guest conduct rules vary by ship and destination and are subject to change without notice."

I don't think they would have to honor it for everyone, but I think they should have to honor it for the people that bought the cruises on the dates that this was on their site and part of the official FAQ. Even if they have something buried in their purchase agreement that says you can't rely on anything on their website, it would probably not stick. I'm guessing RC figures no one will really push that hard over this amount of money.

(I'm a lawyer but this is not meant to be any type of legal guidance!) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, sunshinetricia said:

I don't think telling people you will reimburse them for costs is the kind of thing that is covered by the fine print though. It's not a change to the protocols, rules, or restrictions. Those are all definitely changing by the week and that should be expected. But getting someone to buy something by telling them you will refund them for something and then saying after they have made the purchase that you will no longer honor the refund is a breach of contract on RCs part. Here's the fine print:

"Health and safety protocols, guest conduct rules, as well as regional travel restrictions and clearance to visit ports of call, are subject to change without notice based on ongoing evaluation, public health standards, and government requirements. Onboard and destination experiences, features, itineraries and guest conduct rules vary by ship and destination and are subject to change without notice."

I don't think they would have to honor it for everyone, but I think they should have to honor it for the people that bought the cruises on the dates that this was on their site and part of the official FAQ. Even if they have something buried in their purchase agreement that says you can't rely on anything on their website, it would probably not stick. I'm guessing RC figures no one will really push that hard over this amount of money.

(I'm a lawyer but this is not meant to be any type of legal guidance!) 

Thanks for the clarification on that! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sunshinetricia said:

I don't think they would have to honor it for everyone, but I think they should have to honor it for the people that bought the cruises on the dates that this was on their site and part of the official FAQ.

And the people at Guest Services are going to have no clue what FAQs were effective when, and I doubt any way to find out.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for reassuring me that Imm it crazy! And thanks to @smokeybanditfor posting the full FAQ that included the language about the OBC. Still waiting for a callback,  but I’m at least armed now with a little more info. I will post again with an update hopefully soon! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3