Carnival Cruising with a toddler - Port day

We have an 8 day cruise set for the beginning of 2022. 

My question is, we are pondering on one of the ports to have our toddler in camp ocean so we can snorkel. What’s everyone’s thoughts on having a child left on the ship during port? The other ports we definitely plan on beach days etc for our little one to enjoy as well. 

24 minutes ago, MrKellerCrusin said:

We have an 8 day cruise set for the beginning of 2022. 

My question is, we are pondering on one of the ports to have our toddler in camp ocean so we can snorkel. What’s everyone’s thoughts on having a child left on the ship during port? The other ports we definitely plan on beach days etc for our little one to enjoy as well. 

You will need to find out if Camp Ocean is open during port days. They used to close the children's programs at one time.

You're going to get a lot of... strenuous... feedback, but as long as your munchkin is reasonably cheerful and independent (no separation anxiety), and the excursion is relatively close /low risk of missing the ship, I think it's fine to leave her in camp. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, indygirl76 said:

You're going to get a lot of... strenuous... feedback, but as long as your munchkin is reasonably cheerful and independent (no separation anxiety), and the excursion is relatively close /low risk of missing the ship, I think it's fine to leave her in camp. 

We might just bring her with us and trade off on snorkeling. 

We have done this since our now almost 11yo was barely 2. I only booked ship excursions as that met my comfort level with the ship saying they wouldn’t leave port if their own excursion was running late.

If this is your first cruise with little one, I would wait to book an excursion until after they have tried camp to make sure they are good with it. My daughter has *loved* it beyond anything I could imagine. She prefers to stay in camp and not get off the ship with us. 

This will depend on them operating camp as normal since it is currently cut due to covid. 

Edited by Doctorsbaby

I’m also a mom of toddlers. It’s such a hard choice. So many thoughts come to mind.

What if they try to call you because your child fell and is bleeding? Just happened to me at the gym last week. 
Even if your child goes to daycare, will they be comfortable in a new setting with all new people with you leaving?

If you’re going to do it, make sure it’s booked through Carnival only that way the ship hopefully wouldn’t leave without you. 
Maybe I’m too nervous of a parent but I think I’d be worried constantly and wouldn’t enjoy myself fully. 

Suggest reading the FAQ's on Carnivals website around Children's programs.  Not sure what age your "toddler" is but here are a few excerpts. Things you may want to read about are meal times while you are off ship.  For example as stated below for under 2 you would need to return to ship and feed your child as they do not do that.  This may inhibit the kind of excursion you want to go on and the length.

CAMP OCEAN (2-5 YEARS) PENGUINS: THINGS TO KNOW

Potty-Trained
Children do not have to be potty-trained in order to take part in Camp Ocean® or take part of the Night Owls services. Parents must provide the Youth Staff with diapers and toiletries to be used for their child. However, children over the age of 5 or over 50 pounds will not be changed by the Youth Staff. Parent/guardian will be provided with a phone and must sign the child out of activities and change them. The child may then return to activities.

Hours (time/activity may vary based on cruise itinerary)

Sea Days

Scheduled complimentary programming activities run from 10:00am-5:00pm and 7:00pm-10:00pm, followed by Night Owls.

Port Days

Supervised complimentary programming Kids' Choice begins from port arrival until 12:00pm; at 12:00pm, Kids' Only Lunch is offered. Scheduled activities resume at 1:00pm until 10:00pm, followed by Night Owls. There may be family programming offered in between 4:00pm-6:00pm (time/activity may vary).

Evenings

Night Owls is offered each evening from 10:00pm-1:00am in Camp Ocean for a fee ($6.75 USD per hour plus an 18% gratuity, per child)

Offerings include: movies, games, toys and snacks

Owls Jams - on select evenings of the cruise, we have additional parties ($15.00 USD per party plus an 18% gratuity, per child)

CAMP OCEAN INFANTS UNDER-2: THINGS TO KNOW

Sea Days

There are limited times throughout the cruise for ‘Under 2' time. During these times, parents/guardians have the option of leaving their child in the care of the Youth Staff (fees apply: $6.75 USD per hour plus an 18% gratuity, per child) – or - they can stay and use the camp facility at no charge. This time is designated for the use of 'Under 2’s' and parents/guardians only. Check on board for specific times offered. Hours may vary due to cruise itineraries.

Port Days

While in port, parents/guardians have the option of leaving their child in the care of the Youth Staff (fees apply: $6.75 USD per hour plus an 18% gratuity, per child), however, we do not provide care during meal times for children 'Under 2'; parents/guardians must return from port at this time.

Evenings

Night Owls (babysitting fees apply: $6.75 USD per hour plus an 18% gratuity, per child).

From 10:00pm-1:00am each evening in the Camp Ocean facility, a ‘slumber party’ type atmosphere, including movie time, toys and room service snacks. During this time, there will be children from other age groups (ages 2-11) participating in Night Owls. Cribs are available if needed.