Art Auction dilema!!

arlanamay

The reason I haven't taken it to be appraised is I don't want to pay for it to be appraised and then it is taken from me, simple as that. I can't help but respond to the person who thought I made up the whole thing. I can't think of a more complete waste of time. Also I don't have that great of an imagination, honestly.
\

Than I'm still missing the point about the painting being appraised.

It can't just be taken away, they would have to take you to court.

You paid for it (and feel that the painting now belongs to u, as do I)and if PW does take legal action shouldn t you know what the paintings worth is. I'd want to know what I'm dealing with.

I never said I thought you made the story up, I said MAYBE the story is not true, because right now I'm not so sure. I am at 50-50.

I just now found this thread and had lots of reading to do! :)

Arlanamay, I see your location is Scott AFB. I'm over in STL. If it comes down to it, you may want to contact channel 2, 4, or 5. Also two galleries I know of around town are Wentworth Gallery in Westfield West County at 270 and Manchester, and Kodner Gallery on Clayton Road, near 270 and 40. You might be able to call them and ask some questions. According to Kodner's website, "Verbal appraisals of fine oil/watercolor paintings, drawings and sculpture are always complimentary".

Good Luck! I'm also behind you 100%.

Christine

I actually live in Texas now. I should change my profile. I will try and add this to my favorite so I can check it more often. I will be in leaving for Vegas on Wed so I will try and check in while I'm there. Take care everyone and I promise I will post if I hear something.

LOL

Can you imagine the scenario of taking the picture into Wentworth and them being owned by PW (if that is the case)

I can understand you not wanting to pay money to get the painting appraised. What if it turns out to be worth less - your hubby wouldn't be too pleased. Maybe some time you're in town you could enquire at Galleries what they charge etc (but checking if they are affiliated to PW first ;))

Have a great trip in Vegas. Hope you win.

I love it when the 'little guy' gets one up on the 'big fish' :)

I bet the OP has been counseled not to post any more!!

Actually, she mentioned that she was heading to Las Vegas but would post if there were any developments. I imagine that PW realized that she wasn't going to rollover and dropped the whole matter - or at least I hope that is what happens :)

Actually, she mentioned that she was heading to Las Vegas but would post if there were any developments. I imagine that PW realized that she wasn't going to rollover and dropped the whole matter - or at least I hope that is what happens :)

I hope you're right, that the OP is away, because we all want to hear the latest update!!

I bet the OP has been counseled not to post any more!!

Not necessarily. In addition to going to Las Vegas, she also said she saw no point in posting if nothing new had happened. I would assume no news is good news. They may well have decided to drop it once they saw she wasn't going to give in easily.

Your right about looking at the painting. I did ask to see it when I went to pay for it and they said that it was in cargo being wrapped so I sould take it off the ship. I think they made a mistake in the begining. I don't think they meant to start bid on an original work of art for $150. I'm not sure of that and I'm only speculating as to what might have happened. The painting I have is the one I bid on. It is framed and the frame has some chips in it because it's been around awhile. I think they want it back because it might be worth a whole lot more than $150. I believe that even if they accidentally sold an original Picasso the person who bought it is the legal owner. Just like if I bid on this painting and it's only worth $1 well I'm still legally bound to pay the $150 I bid at. I guess I'm getting worked up that they might try and intimidate me into giving the painting back.

It's yours now, if it is an original you got a good deal.

I think I will get an appraisal on it. The artist isn't well known but as I was researching background on him and the painting I noticed that his seriolithographs run $400+. The painting I won I'm sure is an original. It even has pencil marks at the corners so the artist could use as reference. I don't even think there are any seriolithograph copies of it. It might even be a one of a kind. Imagine that for $150. I don't have that kind of luck so I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop so to speak. I will keep you all posted as to what happens.

Who is the artist? I belong to artprice.com and can do some research for you.

Let me explain something that may help clear up your situation.

Firstly, there really isn't any such thing as a seriolithograph.

It is a made up catch all phrase that encompasses a reproduction.

There are basically two kinds of reproductions; lithographs and seriographs.

Lithographs are: posters. Nothing more and nothing less. They may or may not be numbered. May or may not be signed by the artist.

Seriographs are different in that they are silk screen reproductions of an artists orgininal and almost always done on a limited basis. What happens is that each color is pulled through a screen onto the paper creating a layered effect. It isn't uncommon for a seriograph to have 20-30 pulls and they are worth a lot more money. Usually signed by the artist.

If an artist is in big enough demand that a seriograph is made of the artists painting, chances are the real painting is worth a lot of money.

I honestly think it is highly unlikely that Park South would screw up that badly and send you an original painting. It could happen but for insurance reasons I doubt this. I doubt they have the original.

If on the off chance they did, and the painting is worth a lot of money, don't count on keeping the painting. The insurance company would be who you would be fighting in court and they have the time, money, and resources to bankrupt you while trying to keep the painting.

Also, a judge would not look to highly on you trying to keep something that was given to you by mistake.

In all honesty, it sounds to me like you have a seriograph.

Wrong about Lithographs, there is a big difference between a poster and a lithograph.

Definitions & Descriptions

giclée
- (pronounced "zhee-clay"; French, meaning "a spraying of ink") prints have many advantages over both the offset lithograph and the seriograph. The color available for giclée processing is limited only by the color gamut of the inks themselves. Therefore, literally millions of colors are available and the limitation imposed by the screening process does not exist. The giclée process uses millions variable microscopic dots, which essentially produce a continuous tone print showing every color and tonal nuance. Unlike seriographs and lithographs giclées are printed on beautiful fine art watercolor papers and 100% cotton artists canvas which results is a print befitting the definition of fine art in every way.

lithograph
- a direct printing method where a drawing is made directly on thick limestone, or a zinc or paper plate with a greasy pencil, crayon or ink (tusche). When the drawing is completed, the stone is processed with gum arabic and acids, making the open areas hydrophilic (water loving) and the image more grease receptive and water repellent. Paper is placed on the stone or plate and covered with a smooth lubricated tympan. A scraper bar applies pressure of about 500 pounds per square inch as the plate is moved through the press, forcing ink into the fibers of the paper. As with all printmaking techniques, the image must be inked for each impression.

seriograph
- (or silk screen print) a printing method where a finely woven, sheer fabric is stretched over a frame to form a screen. Non-image areas are blocked out or clogged, and ink is forced through the open areas of the screen with a squeegee to the paper which is directly positioned beneath the open mesh of the screen. This basic process is varied by the artist depending on the effect the artist wants to achieve.

Our last trip I purchased two pieces of art and so far I have been very happy with what I bought. I would love to know more about the outcome of this situation! My opinion is the same as everyone's - they auctioned it and you bought it fair and square. You own it - they let you walk off the ship with it - it is yours. It would serve them right to loose this work of art. I have read a lot of negative stuff after I had purchased my two and I feel that I am lucky to have had a good experience. I have also had experience with Park West on land at a few auctions and they did not seem any different to me than on land - but I felt major pressure to get the appraisals and to buy an Agam I was in love with for $2K.

Bottom line - good for you - do not let them have that painting and please, please update us.

There appraisal is not worth the paper they print it on. They give very inflated appraisal price. The owner of the gallery, Albert Scaglione is not certified by any organization for appraisal.

There are pieces of this story that do not make sense. I have been buying art from Park West for years. When they put a piece of art up they know what they are selling as they bring the peice up on the computer based on the number you referenced in the back. An original piece of art is easily identifiable from a print and the auctioneer would quickly notice the difference. The also do a good job in describing the art and artist.

In you situation I doubt that is an original.

First most originals are not covered in glass for fear of offsetting the image onto the glass.

Second

The back of the picture would probably not be covered and would in fact be on stretched canvas instead of the paper you mentioned.

Third

To quickly get an end to this story have the piece authenticated by an art dealer.

Fourth

Most original paintings have the are signed in paint and not in pencil.

I agree with coolbolts, it look like a print to me.

Wrong about Lithographs, there is a big difference between a poster and a lithograph.

Definitions & Descriptions

giclée
- (pronounced "zhee-clay"; French, meaning "a spraying of ink") prints have many advantages over both the offset lithograph and the seriograph. The color available for giclée processing is limited only by the color gamut of the inks themselves. Therefore, literally millions of colors are available and the limitation imposed by the screening process does not exist. The giclée process uses millions variable microscopic dots, which essentially produce a continuous tone print showing every color and tonal nuance. Unlike seriographs and lithographs giclées are printed on beautiful fine art watercolor papers and 100% cotton artists canvas which results is a print befitting the definition of fine art in every way.

lithograph
- a direct printing method where a drawing is made directly on thick limestone, or a zinc or paper plate with a greasy pencil, crayon or ink (tusche). When the drawing is completed, the stone is processed with gum arabic and acids, making the open areas hydrophilic (water loving) and the image more grease receptive and water repellent. Paper is placed on the stone or plate and covered with a smooth lubricated tympan. A scraper bar applies pressure of about 500 pounds per square inch as the plate is moved through the press, forcing ink into the fibers of the paper. As with all printmaking techniques, the image must be inked for each impression.

seriograph
- (or silk screen print) a printing method where a finely woven, sheer fabric is stretched over a frame to form a screen. Non-image areas are blocked out or clogged, and ink is forced through the open areas of the screen with a squeegee to the paper which is directly positioned beneath the open mesh of the screen. This basic process is varied by the artist depending on the effect the artist wants to achieve.

If you would so kindly care to keep reading I said in a later post that I overgeneralized about lithographs and gave the exact definition of a lithograph. In a nutshell, by modern process, a lithograph nowadays is basically a poster.

If you would so kindly care to keep reading I said in a later post that I overgeneralized about lithographs and gave the exact definition of a lithograph. In a nutshell, by modern process, a lithograph nowadays is basically a poster.

Sorry, but did not read that till later.

However not all lithographs done today are posters. Posters are usually done on cheaper paper. I did post the exact definition above. There is a difference in the printing process used. Ink is forced into the paper it is not just on the surface of the paper.

I believe from looking at the picture she posted that what she has is a full bleed seriograph or giclée. Hard to tell for sure without seeing it up close.

Archived