What currency will we need?

linkerbink

My sister and I will be cruising the Danube next year, stopping in Romania, Hungary, Serbia, Croatia, and Bulgaria. We plan to use our credit cards for most purchases, but will still need cash for guides’ tips, etc. I know each of those countries has its own currency, but is there one currency that will be accepted by all of them, such as the Euro? Or do they take/prefer dollars? I know we can get currency at ATMs but most of them dispense larger notes. We will be spending 4 nights pre-cruise in Romania so we are planning to get some Romanian leu ahead of time, but don’t know what to do about the other countries. Thanks in advance! 

Yes, use your CC for most things but when cash is needed:

Euros will be happily accepted by your guides in all the countries you listed. In fact, souvenir shops in most of these countries also list their prices in euros as well as their national currency. The euro is preferred to the USD.

Edited by dogs4fun

Thanks for your quick response! We still have a few small denomination Euro bills and coins left from a prior trip, so I guess we will just skip getting the leu and stick to Euros. I appreciate your help.We really didn’t want to have to fuss with different currencies. I really would have been surprised if they preferred dollars, although some countries do because of a favorable exchange rate.