HAL 2022 Alaska + Yukon cruise/tour seeking info/suggestions

shuyak

This is a repeated posting from TripAdvisor seeking info/suggestions.  Thanks.

We both retired in 2020, are value oriented travelers generally on lower end budget, and have always hoped to visit Alaska. We are not thrill seekers, nor fit for hiking beyond ~2 hours.

We booked 2022 Mid-June HAL cruise/tour [3 night NB cruise (Inside) + 9 night land + 7 night SB cruise (Aft balcony)] - the Cruise/tour package included Itinerary is listed below.

Day

Itinerary

Arrival

Departure

Day 1

Sail from Vancouver, B.C., CA

4:30pm

Day 2

Scenic Cruising The Inside Passage

Day 3

Tracy Arm Inlet

09:00am

09:30am

Juneau, Alaska, US

01:00pm

10:00pm

Day 4

Debark Ship Skagway, Alaska, US

07:00am

Am Skagway City Tour

09:00am

10:30am

Westmark Inn Skagway 1D

Day 5

Transfer: Hotel/Rail Depot

Wpyr: Skagway/Fraser (Am)

08:40am

09:40am

Fraser/Whitehorse Coach

11:00am

01:30pm

Whitehorse Area Hotel 1D

Day 6

Whitehorse/Dawson Coach 

07:30am

05:30pm

Lunch: Minto/Klondike Hwy

Westmark Inn Dawson 2D

Day 7

Dawson Day At Leisure

Klondike Spirit

Day 8

Transfer Hotel/Yda Airport

Air: Dawson/Fairbanks

Transfer Fai Airport/Hotel

Westmark Fairbanks Hotel 1D

Day 9

Transfer Hotel/Gold Dredge (Am)

09:45am

Am Gold Dredge 8

12:30pm

Fairbanks/Denali Coach

02:30pm

06:00pm

Denali Area Hotel 2D

Day 10

Am Tundra Wilderness Tour 

06:00am

03:00pm

Denali Afternoon At Leisure

Day 11

Transfer Hotel/Rail Depot

Mckinley Explorer: Denali/Talkeetna

09:15am

02:00pm

Mckinley Explorer: Talkeetna/Anchorage

02:15pm

05:15pm

Transfer Rail Depot/Hotel

Anchorage Area Hotel 1D

Day 12

Transfer Hotel/Cruisetrain

Cruisetrain: Anchorage/Whittier

01:00pm

03:45pm

Sail from Whittier, Alaska, US

10:00pm

Day 13

Hubbard Glacier

03:00pm

Day 14

Glacier Bay

08:30am

06:30pm

Day 15

Skagway, Alaska, US

09:00pm

Day 16

Juneau, Alaska, US

08:00am

Day 17

Ketchikan, Alaska, US

11:00am

07:00pm

Day 18

Scenic Cruising The Inside Passage

Day 19

Debark Ship Vancouver, B.C., CA

Due to timetable for the land portion is not as specific, we can not pre-book own tours if unsure. Since there are only 2 meals included in the land portion, we are also checking out the options close to each lodging.

Our plan so far and blanks to be filled:

Day 3 Juneau: Glacier/Whale/King Crab (private)

Day 4 Skagway: PM Visitor center w/ walking tour if available (own)

Day 5 Whitehorse: PM TBD (suggestions?)

Day 7 Dawson: TBD, also depends on Klondike Spirit schedule (suggestion?)

Day 8 Fairbank: TBD (suggestion?)

Day 10 Delani: Flight w/glacier Landing (6:15 PM) (private)

Day 12 Anchorage: TBD

Day 15 Skagway: Activity including dryland dog sledding (private)

(considering below 3 but wonder if the latter two overlaps Day 5 Skagway train/bus to Whitehorse route/experience?

https://www.alaskaexcursions.com/sled-dog-adventure/

https://www.skagway-tours.com/book-a-tour/details/217458/yukon-tour-and-summer-dog-sled/

https://alaskashoretours.com/excursions/skagway/yukon-discovery-sled-dog/)   

Day 16 Juneau: TBD upon arrival based on price/activity offered? (private)

Day 17 Ketchikan: Snorkel Alaska (through HAL - due to better tide schedule). Remaining time walkabout town?

Not sure should we try the touristy "salmon bake" - aware the AYCE in Juneau and Skagway. Suggestions?

Alaska sausage and seafood in Anchorage receives very good reviews, but we are not sure if we can bring sausage and/or smoke salmon via cruise ship then flight from Vancouver to US. Any insight?

Seeking info/suggestions from local/experts. Thanks in advance.

You will probably get into Whitehorse late and I’m not sure which hotel HAL will use but in the past it has been the Westmark (recently changed hands) and across the street is Klondike Rib and Salmon which is excellent.  You can enjoy a walk along the nearby Yukon River, there is a museum and a high end collective featuring local artists.  The shop may be closed if you arrive late.  

Dawson City has some wonderful Parks Canada programs, so head to the visitor’s center for a schedule.  Trip advisor is a good reference of places to eat.  Dawson City is very walkable with lots of history.  You can get some wonderful pictures if you take a Midnight Dome excursion.  There is a nice museum if the weather is really bad.   Most people love Dawson City. 

Mornings can be rushed so plan for time to eat a quick breakfast before you get on the road.  The buffets at the hotel are geared to get you in and out with a hearty breakfast.  

You’ll have a “journey host” to offer suggestions and provide suggestions along the way.  This is a wonderful itinerary.

@oaktreerb:

Thank you for the Whitehorse and Dwason City suggestions that we will keep in mind! Clearly we only ironed out the major excursions but are lagging behind Yukon and many other readings. 

We understand that we won't know those 3 missing Area Hotel's and the specific land portion timetable until Day 4 when we meet the "journey host".  Until then, we can only generate a "may be" list with map/open/closing time for each location.

@Crew News:

Thank you for the link (great photos and well organized)!  This trip will be our first HAL + first Alaska experience, we actually checked out some of your photos before firming up a few of our choices (such as HAL ship, Fly Delani with Landing, etc.)!

Now that seeing your Carcross photos - some commented the tour being rush (sledding, petting puppy, eat lunch, browsing trading posts, etc.).  Wonder if you took the tour, and if so, do you feel enough time to do everything offered there?  Thanks.

We certainly will explore other info you provided, both Alaska and beyond.

1 hour ago, shuyak said:

Now that seeing your Carcross photos - some commented the tour being rush (sledding, petting puppy, eat lunch, browsing trading posts, etc.).  Wonder if you took the tour, and if so, do you feel enough time to do everything offered there?  Thanks.

We certainly will explore other info you provided, both Alaska and beyond.

I have taken that excursion twice and did not feel rushed unless you want to linger over lunch.  The sledding did not appeal to me as the dogs did two laps while pulling what looked like a VW chassis.  The museum is amazing and the chance to look up at the huge brown bear was scary.  After watching the grizzly bears on the Brooks Falls bear cam, I gained a greater appreciation for how intimidating the bears are.

If you take the bus ride up and train back, here are a few more tips for you. The scenery on the way up will be on the right side of the bus but those on the left may see some mountain goats.  On the train ride back, sit on the right side or you will be staring at a rock wall.  For photographs, go out on the platform between the cars as shooting through the windows will cause funny colors on your photos.

Unlike your fellow passengers who must fight for space at the railings in Glacier Bay, you can see everything from your balcony which includes, a few steps from your private bathroom, no worry about weather if on Deck 5, your minibar just steps away, and nobody blocking your photos.  I prefer a quick trip to the Taco Bar by the Deck 9 indoor pool where you can make a huge plate of nachos while you are in Glacier Bay (OK, nachos every day of the cruise)

I will be on the first 7-day Alaska cruise in April, 2022 and will be copying all of the menus.  Since all 7-day cruises are the same for Alaska, I will have your dinner menus as well as Specialty Restaurants and bars, posted before you depart.  In addition, it is my goal to have a live thread on the HAL Forum where I will be answering questions each day.

Your Neptune suite comes with free appetizers each day.  It was my custom to request chicken wings everyday in spite of being told they were not available.  They were delivered  every day.  DW loved the shrimp skewers.  Eat some of them and save a few for a late snack.  Bring Ziploc bags to store them in your minibar.

When going to Alaska as well as your first HAL cruise, you don't know what you don't know.  Hope I have helped a little.  Feel free to ask lots of questions to help in your planning.

15 hours ago, Crew News said:

The sledding did not appeal to me as the dogs did two laps while pulling what looked like a VW chassis. 

This will make us think twice.

Unlike your fellow passengers who must fight for space at the railings in Glacier Bay, you can see everything from your balcony

Forgot to mention that your previous post/shared pictures contributed to our selection of Aft Balcony.

I will be on the first 7-day Alaska cruise in April, 2022 and will be copying all of the menus. 

Thank you!

you don't know what you don't know

True to all situations - not just this cruise/trip.

Appreciate your contributions to us fellow cruisers!

16 minutes ago, shuyak said:

This will make us think twice.

Forgot to mention that your previous post/shared pictures contributed to our selection of Aft Balcony.

Thank you!

True to all situations - not just this cruise/trip.

Appreciate your contributions to us fellow cruisers!

The aft balcony community remains small as long as the rumor of less movement and seasickness midships continues.  A ship does not pivot in the middle but rather what goes up must go down.  Aft balconies means you don't have to get dressed and race to the side of the ship when somebody shouts, "Whales on port side."  Just put on your slippers and go out to your balcony because you can see both sides of the ship.

My favorite Skagway train experience was the one that goes to Lake Bennett  with the bus dropping you off to catch the train in Cairncross (small town).  This excursion has a private train car with maybe 20 folks, an amazing lunch, and lots of room on the train platforms between the cars to take photos.  The train stops for 45 minutes at Lake Bennett for photos/hike.  FWIW Lake Bennett is where all of the gold rushers had to construct their boats for the trip into the Yukon gold fields.  Here is a link to the Lake Bennett portion of the train ride back to Skagway:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/place/canada/yukon-territory/lake-bennett-yukon-territory/

A few more notes.  The king crab you find in Juneau will be frozen from the local Costco since King Crab season is only wintertime.  You can have the same King Crab at the ship's Pinnacle Grill for a lower price.  Dungeoness crab season starts June 15th and will be fresh.

Don't try to take photos through the McKinley train windows.  They are too thick and photos will have color lines through them.  Go out to the platform between cars.  Same for the Skagway train.  First come first serve for the platforms.  Food on the McKinley train is really good and not expensive. You just have to wait your turn, by seating row, to eat so have a few granola bars for snacks in case you are near the last to eat. 

Juneau dog sledding or glacier walk is short but amazing and leaves time for an evening whale watching tour.  I also liked the Taku flight/meal adventure to see the glaciers.  A trip to the top of Mt Roberts via cable car leaves near the pier for amazing views and a chance to see Lady Baltimore (rescued eagle) up close.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/eagles/juneau-2009-westerdam-alaska-001-2.jpg

I keep a little notebook in my pocket during every cruise and I write down the names of those to thank, what I learned, what I missed seeing, answers for CC questions, and what I want to do when I return.  Consider doing the same and share with CC.

I agree with Crew News recommendation of the Lake Bennett excursion of the White Pass and Yukon Railroad.  A few years ago HAL included Lake Bennett in some of the Yukon cruisetours and it is a historic as well as beautiful area not easily accessible.  As Crew News indicated it was the staging area for miners to build their boats and prepare to sail up the Yukon river to the gold fields.  The Chilkoot Trail begins in Dyea, near Skagway and you can take an excursion that hikes up the beginning of the Chilkoot Trail to a point along the river where you get into a raft with your group and raft back to Skagway.    The end of the Chilkoot Trail is days away at Lake Bennett.

You will learn a lot about the Gold Rush and it’s fun so be able to personally experience the actual locations.   With an overnight in Skagway you will have plenty of time to enjoy the area.  Pick up a hiking guide at the visitor’s center.  There are some great hikes rated by difficulty.  We enjoyed the easy Smuggler’s Cove/Yakutania Point hike.

The last time we were in Skagway we were able to go into Soapy Smith’s Saloon which is now part of the national park exhibits.    Skagway is one of our favorite ports.

On 7/12/2021 at 4:12 PM, Crew News said:

My favorite Skagway train experience was the one that goes to Lake Bennett  with the bus dropping you off to catch the train in Cairncross (small town).

Juneau dog sledding or glacier walk is short but amazing...

On 7/13/2021 at 12:34 PM, oaktreerb said:

I agree with Crew News recommendation of the Lake Bennett excursion of the White Pass and Yukon Railroad.

We hope to make an AK dog sledding tour in memory of our beloved syberian husky, named after the Shuyak Island, AK.  Are surprised to find most kennels do not have husky as the major (or even the minor) breed though.  We only budgeted for one flight excursion and have elected the fly delani. 

Will evaluate SB [Skagway Lake Bennet + Juneau dog sledding]. 

Train seating/photo/meal tips are taken.✏️

With an overnight in Skagway you will have plenty of time to enjoy the area.  Pick up a hiking guide at the visitor’s center.  There are some great hikes rated by difficulty.  We enjoyed the easy Smuggler’s Cove/Yakutania Point hike.

Yes, this is the plan for NB Skagway ,✔️

you can take an excursion that hikes up the beginning of the Chilkoot Trail to a point along the river where you get into a raft with your group and raft back to Skagway.

and hike/tubing is the backup/supplement plan for SB Skagway. ✔️

The king crab you find in Juneau will be frozen from the local Costco since King Crab season is only wintertime.  You can have the same King Crab at the ship's Pinnacle Grill for a lower price. 

Unless one can find a super deal, and perhaps just for the environment. 🤔  Our Costco is @ $32.99/lb for size 4-7.  (Still remember those $16.99 days)

Dungeoness crab season starts June 15th and will be fresh.

Drawn by the "before" and "after" pictures from the other post, we did a test run with Costco dungeness  crab ($13.99/lb).  After one and half messy hours, it is evident that our skill won't be perfected in time for an AYCE crab feast.:classic_sad:   May try ala carte for the fresh taste especially the season is right.

Consider doing the same and share with CC.

Noted.

26 minutes ago, shuyak said:

Drawn by the "before" and "after" pictures from the other post, we did a test run with Costco dungeness  crab ($13.99/lb).  After one and half messy hours, it is evident that our skill won't be perfected in time for an AYCE crab feast.:classic_sad:   May try ala carte for the fresh taste especially the season is right.

Noted.

As a rookie crab cracker, the class given before we were served our first round of crab, made me an expert.  The location to crack, the way to insert the tine of a fork, and how to extract the meat left all of my shells clean.  It is finesse, not force that matters.  My fellow diners are now a threat to any AYCE crab buffet.

At Denali you will have an opportunity to see the working dogs of Denali at the kennels in the park.  Another experience that we enjoyed at Denali was the Jeff King’s Husky Homestead.  There you will cuddle puppies and learn about the dogs that run the Iditarod.  They pick you up at your hotel.  This is a great way to spend your first evening in the park.  Go to the Denali National Park website to learn about the dogs that live and work in the park year round.  Neither of these will give you a dog sled ride but both are authentic experiences.

1 hour ago, shuyak said:

We hope to make an AK dog sledding tour in memory of our beloved syberian husky, named after the Shuyak Island, AK.  Are surprised to find most kennels do not have husky as the major (or even the minor) breed though.  We only budgeted for one flight excursion and have elected the fly delani.

Not seeing a blue-eyed husky was a surprise to me on my dog sledding in Skagway.  The dogs are bred for different roles on the team.  A football analogy is good with the big dogs (linemen) in the back, runners in the middle of the team, and the lead dog (quarterback) responding to commands from the musher.

Each dog has a personality, a preferred scratching spot, and some do not like to be touched by strangers.  They all have one thing in common....they want to run.  If the musher does not drive a stake in the ground to anchor the sled, the dogs will run without him. 

@oaktreerb and @Crew News:

Yes, before our original posting, we checked dog kennel options along the land stops, including Fairbank, Denali [national park (DNP) and the Husky Homestead (HH)], and Anchorage.  Similar to other tour offerings in Alaska and Yukon for 2021, most were (1) closed - temporarily or permanently, (2) with reduced schedule and/or program (DNP and HH?), (3) not providing transportation (HH).   The availability for 2022 is yet to be seen.

The more we view the dryland sledding videos, the more we wonder if it is what we would appreciate.  Husky to us is a pet to be hugged, loved, and to "pull and walk" us.  Summer camps have their purpose and function, just we would worry the potential leg injury running on gravel. 

Will table this for now.  Who knows, we may make an Aurora/Dog Sledding trip somewhere in 2025 when the next time Northern lights peak. 😉

Since our only "will do" tours  are NB Juneau glacier/whale/king crab, Fly Delani, and SB Ketchikan snorkling (our only chance due to its age limit), we will continue researching and following the boards in both CruiseCritic and TripAdvisor.  Should we encounter specific questions later, will restart a new thread.

We are not looking for the "Best" Alaska trip - it really can't be concluded as such without parallel comparisons of the endless combinations.  This and every trip will be as good as we believe it is! :classic_smile:

Really appreciate all the feedback from both of you!  🙏

Cruise safely and happily!