Speaking of Chico's

BarbSW

Hi, I just bought their black traveler's long jersey skirt with a slit up to the

knee. Can anyone recommend the type of slip that should go under this?

Also, I bought the long skirt instead of the long full pants thinking I might

get more use out of it and it would stay in style longer. Any ideas pro or con?

My favorite store. We actually got an Outlet Chico's five minutes away a few months ago. I'm doomed! I just bought 4 Bliss T's for my cruise in 3 weeks!!!

The skirt will serve you for many occasions for years. I have a long black slip with a slit up past the knee ... works great. I think I got the slip at JC Penney many years ago. (I also have one in white) It's amazing how many times I wear them. (My mother would be so proud - she thought you ALWAYS needed to wear a slip - even with something lined.) I also have some "slip pants". Sounds strange - but they also work well. I got them many years ago at a specialty store ... back when wide leg pants were in style. They are calf length. If you can sew - both would be pretty easy to make. Just get a stretchy slip type fabric - elastic waist.

Good luck with your new addiction to Chico's. I'm working hard to "stay on my program". :D

Karen

Must be an age thing (I'm 32) but I'm curious why you need/want to wear a slip? I only wear a slip if the outfit is sheer/somewhat see-through (and, well, since I don't tend to wear clothing like that--functionally, I never wear slips) Or is it to prevent static cling?

I agree if you do require a slip, one with a slit would be your best bet--but I know I'd still be fighting all night, trying to make sure the slits were aligned:rolleyes:

Online, you can find foundation garments of ALL kinds--I really like some of the Spanxx brand underthings--they're like control top pantyhose without being pantyhose, basically....

Must be an age thing (I'm 32) but I'm curious why you need/want to wear a slip? I only wear a slip if the outfit is sheer/somewhat see-through (and, well, since I don't tend to wear clothing like that--functionally, I never wear slips) Or is it to prevent static cling?

The slip helps with clinging ... the Traveler's knits sometimes will cling to parts of your body that you'd rather not emphasize. The slip helps the knit drape better ... I'm sure I'm not explaining it very well ...

And if you get the right kind of slip ... the slit will be wide enough that it won't show but still allows the fabric to drape nicely.

Karen--as I understand what you're saying, you want the comfort and wrinkle-proof benefits of a knit without the clinginess, so you wear a slip (of a more sturdy fabric) to prevent that. Not exactly static cling, but a similar issue. I get it. Guess I wouldn't buy clothing that was clinging to me in a way that would necessitate wearing a slip. Or I'd ignore the clinging :-) I'm really anti-slips today, aren't I? Geez, I didn't know I felt this strongly:D

Should probably start a new thread, but I just got the new Newport News catalog and there's a line of multi-purpose knitwear under the name/license of Norma Kamali--similar I guess to some of the travel knits from other companies (like Chicos or TravelSmith or Lands End) but sexier, not so business-like--wondering if anyone has tried them yet??

Hi, I just bought their black traveler's long jersey skirt with a slit up to the

knee. Can anyone recommend the type of slip that should go under this?

Also, I bought the long skirt instead of the long full pants thinking I might

get more use out of it and it would stay in style longer. Any ideas pro or con?

I usually wear a 1/2 slip that stops before the slit in the skirt. Works great. If you stand in front of a light...you/others WILL see legs and other parts...even in a black skirt! That's why I wear one. I always travel with my nude and black 1/2 slips...just in case!!

Okay, the skirt looks really good without a slip, but I was concerned

that light might show through it? That would be the only reason to wear a slip.

Does anybody care any more about light showing through a skirt, especially a skirt with a side split that is worn to evening events? Maybe it is just my being "liberal", but even if someone does see through the skirt when you are in bright light, what will they see...only your legs.

Yeah, considering what's "mainstream" (or at least, more common than ever...) a little light showing through a skirt isn't going to brand me the slut of the ship, I don't think:p But I'd never bedgrudge someone who does feel they need to wear one....For me--one less thing to pack! Less layers to make me hot:D

Thank you for porting about newport news' knit clothing. I love the idea of travel-easy clothing but felt Chico's is too conservative for me yet. I'm in my mid-20s, so I was looking for something a bit fresher. I also have a great knit dress from victorias secret that I wear in the summer to the beach or pool as a cover up.

Well, the name Norma Kamali has always meant good knitwear, but I haven't seen/felt the Newport News version--very curious to see if they're decent quality. They aren't too expensive--I should check out the return policy and try a couple pieces (for me, a couple of the more conservative pieces;) Then I can wear them for work!)

Nliedel, I love your blog. What courage you have to go public! I'm a closet writer.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does pantyhose have to do with needing a slip with a long dress? I'm sitting here imagining my Chico's dress with and without pantyhose, without wins, and either way, I think I need a slip.

Cat's Slave.

1. Thank you.

2. GO PUBLIC! The best way to become a better writer is to write and let people read it. I try not to give too much info and enough to be interesting. I miss the mark a lot but it's a good exercise.

3. You did not ask about pantyhose but someone mentioned it.

and finally,

4. If you read my blog you know that a better name for me than Nancy would have been, Idigress. ;)

Okay, I'm going to risk showing my ignorance - what is a blog? Happy Sailing!

Not an ignorant question at all! Blog = weB LOG, it's sort of treny at the moment (although I have kept one in one form or another for years). Some people use them as diaries, some are writers and they are how they get the "Jone's out" (me) or some people write hte progress of trips, children, projects, dreams. It's a way to journal. They can be interesting, funny, boring, WAY too much information (one lady online keeps one on how she cheats on her husband. Nice) or anything else. Sometimes it's like looking into someone's windows or personal versions of "Desperate Housewive's" they are everywhere now.

Obviously I post the link to mine here but there are some interesting ones/links here:

BlogHop.com!

http://www.blogarama.com/

http://www.blogcatalog.com/

If you have an interest there is a blog out there with someone who's been there and done that or shares that interest and has some other ideas.

I think wearing a slip is partly a generational thing, partly personal preference. At 60, I grew up in an era where everyone always wore slips--and lots of other undergarments, at all times when wearing dresses or skirts. Gradually through the years I've worn less and less slips and now I haven't worn a slip for probably a couple of years, and won't unless absolutely necessary--like a very, very see-through skirt, (which I probably wouldn't buy in the first place) or a fabric that clings and sticks (ditto).

Bottom line, if you are more comfortable wearing a slip with your skirt, find one with a wide split so it doesn't show or wear the half-slip another poster mentioned. Just don't feel you have to wear a slip because of convention.

Thank you for porting about newport news' knit clothing. I love the idea of travel-easy clothing but felt Chico's is too conservative for me yet. I'm in my mid-20s, so I was looking for something a bit fresher. I also have a great knit dress from victorias secret that I wear in the summer to the beach or pool as a cover up.

The target group for Chico's is the 35 + crowd. Being in the 50+ club, myself, I find a lot of Chico's garments a little over the top for me. I love their jeans and some of the very simplest Travelers pieces. The beaded and embroidered tops are too crazy and flashy for me. A lot of their clothes stretch out after time, especially their t-shirts and silk sweaters. I have also found some quality issues in their clothing, but they are very good about returns and issuing store credits.

--Judy

Archived