Is it true that they do not wash the bedspreads after each occupant?

I would have to confirm this.

However, they are very accommodating if you request a cleaning. It means you will be without the spread for a day or two of your trip though.

On a recent voyage there was a rather gross stain on the bedspread in our room and I requested a cleaning and this is what happened in our case.

I have also had to lay towel over the couch due to staining and they have brought in the upholstery cleaning team to try to correct the situation.

They are very accommodating.:)

As someone who thought I had encountered a case of bedbugs recently on a ship (turned out not to be, but had me scared), I would never use any bedspread anywhere. Take it off, and throw it into a corner of your closet, or have it removed from your room!!! Ask for additional blankets instead.

As someone who thought I had encountered a case of bedbugs recently on a ship (turned out not to be, but had me scared), I would never use any bedspread anywhere. Take it off, and throw it into a corner of your closet, or have it removed from your room!!! Ask for additional blankets instead.

Do you really think that they clean the blankets after each use?

We've talked about this one before, and as I said I see them strip the linens once people vacate their cabins, but bedspreads are left in the cabins.

We NEVER use them anywhere. We fold them up and put in a closet. And yes, we do pack a lightweight blanket to throw over us since we do not use bedspread.

There doesn't seem to be any kind of outbreak of skin diseases or other illnesses linked to dirty bedspreads though..... think about how many people cruise every year and no word on any problems. Even the "bedbugs" scare was linked to an excursion and not the linens. So I don't think its as scary as it sounds.....but maybe I'm in denial?

One of the "news" magazines on TV did a story about this almost a year ago (when the 'sick ship' scare was going on). They used their U.V. lights, and high tech stuff, and found some things I'd rather not know about. With all the hype they had promoting the show, I thought they were going to find TERRIBLE things. IMHO it came down to this.

1. U.V. found disgusting things on linens, chairs even TV's

2. The did NOT find bacteria or other things that might make you sick.

3. The stuff they found was similar to a 'study' they did on land based hotel rooms.

So what I'm saying is: at least in this case, what you don't know won't hurt you.

There doesn't seem to be any kind of outbreak of skin diseases or other illnesses linked to dirty bedspreads though..... think about how many people cruise every year and no word on any problems. Even the "bedbugs" scare was linked to an excursion and not the linens. So I don't think its as scary as it sounds.....but maybe I'm in denial?

No, I don't think you're in denial.:) When was the last time someone got sick from bedding?:D

Umm I just read a study that showed the ice in Fast Food places has more bacteria in it than the toilets in the same places. If we were easy to kill we would all be dead by now. If you are worried your steward will wash your bedspread (my sister in law spilled some pop on hers. It was washed without comment) but for the most part someone in the room before you probably sat nekkid in a chair you are parking yourself in. Know what I mean?

So what I'm saying is: at least in this case, what you don't know won't hurt you.

This is so true.... reminds me of a test the Mythbuster guys did about toothbrushes and ...erm.... bathroom residue. What they found was that even the hermetically sealed toothbrush had a miniscule trace of doody on it! Conclusion: its everywhere :eek:

Ignorance is bliss....

I have a guest room in my house, and when someone sleeps in there, I wash and change the sheets, not the bedspread. Think of the logistics of cleaning 2500 bedspreads every week. Those bed covers are quite heavy.

I just fold the clean sheet over the bedspread where my body would come in contact with it. No big deal really.

There are way more important things to worry about IMO, like what to wear to dinner. LOL

Tracy

Umm I just read a study that showed the ice in Fast Food places has more bacteria in it than the toilets in the same places. If we were easy to kill we would all be dead by now. If you are worried your steward will wash your bedspread (my sister in law spilled some pop on hers. It was washed without comment) but for the most part someone in the room before you probably sat nekkid in a chair you are parking yourself in. Know what I mean?
As they say... that which does not kill us, makes us stronger. I think it is particularly true with germs.

BTW... were you saying if you want your bedspread washed... pour, ..er I mean 'spill' a coke on it:rolleyes:

This is so gross.

People dont just "make whoopie" under the sheets ya know.

Now, I keep thinking of all the naps I took on top of the bedspread and ICK!!!!

I will be putting my bedspread nicely in closet of stateroom this time around, and letting my attendant know not to put it back on bed.

What about the person that sat nekkid in the chair before you got there? Were they worried about germs on their hiney? Apparently not.

What about the couple "doing it" on the bedspread? Were they worried about germs on the bedspread? Apparently not.

Point: Someone got the bedspread/chair funky and they didn't care who'd been there before! Wonder if they now have the cooties because they did that?:rolleyes:

My guess: Absolutely not.

I always wear sweat pants and a sweatshirt to bed at a hotel or anyother place. this way i dont have to touch the sheets as much as possible(my husband loves the coverup) on the other thread about what to do if you share a room with your kids they talked about doing on the bathroom countertop in the hotel. So it is everywhere.....................

I never liked the idea of using hotel bedspreads, either. My husband always sprawls on top of the bed and watches TV, but I always prefer to take down the bedspread first.

I also wonder about all the "nice things" in the carpeting. I always bring slippers with me when I travel. I cannot bear the thought of walking barefoot on carpeting that 1000 other people have walked on with bare feet. I'm not really worried about the germs, it's more of a gross factor for me.

EWWWWWW! :eek: I gross out easily, and after I saw that 'story' on the 'news program' I started carring lysol when I travel. I yank the bedspread off like its toxic waste as soon as I get into the room...My sweetie just laughs at me.:o

Never thought of the coke trick...hummm, I like that.:cool:

EWWWWWW! :eek: I gross out easily, and after I saw that 'story' on the 'news program' I started carring lysol when I travel. I yank the bedspread off like its toxic waste as soon as I get into the room...My sweetie just laughs at me.:o

Never thought of the coke trick...hummm, I like that.:cool:

What was the coke trick. I guess I missed that one. I also scream at my kids and my husband to get off the bedspread and I pull it down. They now remember after years of screaming. I like your toxic waste line.

Just off the Sapphire Princess last Saturday. Had a balcony cabin. There was a single top sheet with a lightweight blanket. The bed spread was folded at the bottom of the bed. On our Island Princess cruise..........in a mini-suite................there was a fresh, clean duvet cover on the comforter and the bedspread was removed each night. Loved the duvet. Wish all cabin categories had that option.

Archived