Olympian Outfits

Jane110

Hi all,

I don't know if you're as excited about watching the Olympics and I am, but even though I'm not a sports fan, I do love watching our Olympian athletes compete in the winter sports.

I loved the opening ceremonies and enjoyed watching all the country's march in. But something really bothered me. The American's walked in with their outfits by ROOTS. To the best of my knowledge, that's a Canadian clothing company. Very generous of Roots. What happened to American companies like Nike, Adidas, Reebok or even Tommy Hilfiger, Sean Jean, Liz Claiborne, etc? Why didn't they step up to the plate and support our athletes?

Of course, I'm in the fashion industry and probably know more people within the industry than anyone here so if I get an opportunity to ask someone, I will. But I feel it's embarrasing that no American company gave our athletes uniforms for the opening ceremonies.

I was just wondering if any of you noticed this too? Or perhaps there's something to this that I'm just not aware of?

Stepping off my soapbox now.....

Jane

I don't know anything about Roots so it didn't pop up any red flags for me. But using a Canadian company doesn't really seem like a national pride type of thing to me, although I guess it does tie in with international cooperation.

I've been watching them a lot actually...I'm pretty addicted as are two of my roommates. The other doesn't really care and is kind of annoyed at all of us watching them on at least 2 of our three tvs at any given time. But we just keep watching...

yes Roots is a Canadian company. They have outfitted the Canadian team for years and I believe they have also done the American team in the past. This year the Canadian went with HBC(Hudson Bay Company) the oldest Canadian company(just sold its shares of country). The items in the stores are not the quality that Roots has done in the past. some of the styles are cute but my kids did not want them. Roots hockey items have been hot in the past as with their hats. Roots fleece lasts forever IMHO.

yes Roots is a Canadian company. They have outfitted the Canadian team for years and I believe they have also done the American team in the past. This year the Canadian went with HBC(Hudson Bay Company) the oldest Canadian company(just sold its shares of country). The items in the stores are not the quality that Roots has done in the past. some of the styles are cute but my kids did not want them. Roots hockey items have been hot in the past as with their hats. Roots fleece lasts forever IMHO.

I watch very little of the Olympics these days. I honestly am fed up with all the scandel and the use of steroids. Used to be you could not be pro in order to compete in the Olympics and now you can so I feel the whole thing is not like it used to be. I watch only if I have no choice because we are in one room and hubby has the tv on for it so I didnt even have a clue as to who wore what other than DH telling me the story about The Bay doing this year for the Canadian team.

Bobbys Girl is right, Roots is canadian but they have a lot of stores in the USA. I think there products are great.

But that said, you are right, and I too am now curious as to the whys

I LOVE the Olympics and the winter games have always been my favorites!! I thought you were going to talk about the styling of the uniforms--because I have to say, I haven't been bowled over by anyone's outfit yet!The only thing I liked was the one female pair skater who wore pants-- I think she and her partner matched nicely and I liked the variety.

I know ROOTS did the US uniforms for the 2002 games in Salt Lake--remember reading an article about it at the time, but of course, don't recall what it said 4 years later:rolleyes: Sorry! I heard Armani & Dolce & Gabbana did some/most? of the outfits for the opening ceremony--I admit I fell asleep not too long after the athlete's marched into the stadium so I can't comment on how they all looked (did see some of the aerial acrobats but it was hard to tell what they were wearing....)

I know that Armani and Dolce & Gabbana did many of the outfits for the opening ceremonies. It's an international competition and they're top designers so I think that's great.

It just seems to me that watching the American team march in with a the logo of a Canadian company plastered all over their clothes instead of from an American company puts American sportswear companies to shame. That Roots is high quality stuff really has nothing to do with anything.

I TiVo'd the opening ceremonies, so the 4 hours became 2 without commericals and some of the longer and more boring parts. <g> I TiVo the nightly competitions too so I can zip through the sections that don't interest me.

I know that Armani and Dolce & Gabbana did many of the outfits for the opening ceremonies. It's an international competition and they're top designers so I think that's great.

It just seems to me that watching the American team march in with a the logo of a Canadian company plastered all over their clothes instead of from an American company puts American sportswear companies to shame. That Roots is high quality stuff really has nothing to do with anything.

I TiVo'd the opening ceremonies, so the 4 hours became 2 without commericals and some of the longer and more boring parts. <g> I TiVo the nightly competitions too so I can zip through the sections that don't interest me.

I didnt even realize that Armani and D&G did some of the stuff. I heard a comment go buy on a morning show that she expected more cashmere and leather because its Italy.

You are right Jane, it being a US team, I too am surprised that no athletic company would not want their name on the US team. I dont get it. From what I am reading here its not the first time either so I really wonder what is going on with that.

Excellent point and question.

Doing more research on this:

http://www.brandchannel.com/features_profile.asp?pr_id=194

Seems the founders of Roots are 2 American guys:) They have the rights to clothe the US olympic team until 2008. Apparently in Athens, adidas also provided some of the uniforms (can't find much on 2006, if other companies are providing items). Actually, I know Burton does the snowboarding outfits, and of course, lots of companies provide equipment. Nike apparently is a sponsor now and in 2008 (missed the boat or didn't care in 2002 and 2004?)

Does anyone know who did Italy's silver parkas? I thought they were phenomenal!

ME TOO! I LOVED them! I was wondering the same thing. Though they were the chic-est of all the athletes. I THINK they were designed by Armani.

Those italians always have such style!

Jane

Doing more research on this:

http://www.brandchannel.com/features_profile.asp?pr_id=194

Seems the founders of Roots are 2 American guys:) They have the rights to clothe the US olympic team until 2008. Apparently in Athens, adidas also provided some of the uniforms (can't find much on 2006, if other companies are providing items). Actually, I know Burton does the snowboarding outfits, and of course, lots of companies provide equipment. Nike apparently is a sponsor now and in 2008 (missed the boat or didn't care in 2002 and 2004?)

Hoyaheel,

BIG THANKS for the info! I'm glad I asked the question. Certainly makes alot of sense now.

Jane

I actually didn't like the one woman wearing pants. It was so different from the norm that I just kept focusing on what she was wearing instead of how they were skating. I guess I'm just a figure skating traditionalist!

It seems that it's easier for the men to stay in sync when the women is not in a skirt. It's easier visual cues for them.

In the 90's the International Skating Union changed a rule regarding womens skating outfits. That is why she is allowed to wear the one piece outfit. As for which one is easier. It really doesn't matter. Pairs teams can be dressed in anything and still be in sync. It is the time together as a team that creates the timing and closeness. In practice most women switch between shorts, pants or dresses so it really doesn't matter. The music and mood of the program is what decides the costumes.

My husband and I have been finding ourselves frustrated and sometimes bored by the competitions this year.

We miss the days when they used to take a little time to try and educate you about the sport you were watching. They would show what elements to watch for and why they were sometimes judged they way they were instead of doing so many personal profiles of the athletes.

And the more they tell us what Bode thinks on different subjects, the less we care.

I too would like a little more info about the sports, and would like to see MORE of the competitors in some sports besides just the medal winners. I'm so over Bode Miller, too..........his mouth has written checks that his body can't cash!

Just so you know, some of the U.S. athletes' competition gear was from other designers. Tommy Hilfiger (spelling?) did the men's mogul outfits, for example. I didn't watch most of the opening ceremony, so I don't know about that.

Honestly, I'm a little glad NBC went the other way and did more athlete profile instead of telling you the rules of the game, etc. over and over. I love that we get to see a little bit of the people and their personalities. Most of the events I've seen, they still do include a short intro with explination - especially curling. I think part of why they did away with so much explination is that they most of the commentators/analysts are former competitors and what they say during the competiton generally explains how the event is scored, what the athlete is trying to do or not do, etc.

Of course this all comes from someone who frequently watches sports of all varieties, so perhaps others would disagree.

BTW, I agree all the hockey is great! Too bad about the US women today.

Just so you know, some of the U.S. athletes' competition gear was from other designers. Tommy Hilfiger (spelling?) did the men's mogul outfits, for example.

Didn't know that. Thanks. (Tommy Hilfiger is indeed the correct spelling)

Honestly, I'm a little glad NBC went the other way and did more athlete profile instead of telling you the rules of the game, etc. over and over. I love that we get to see a little bit of the people and their personalities. Most of the events I've seen, they still do include a short intro with explination - especially curling. I think part of why they did away with so much explination is that they most of the commentators/analysts are former competitors and what they say during the competiton generally explains how the event is scored, what the athlete is trying to do or not do, etc.

I agree with you. The new ice skating rules were nicely reported. The new rules in pairs skating, sadly, leave out alot of the creative skating done on the past. Unfortunately though, it led to subjective scores, which was a mess in the last winter olympics, so they had to be changed.

I like seeing some personal background on some of the olympians - american and foreign.

I also enjoyed the bit on curling.

Of course this all comes from someone who frequently watches sports of all varieties, so perhaps others would disagree.

Nope I hate all sports other than olympics! HATE to watch team sports, yet totally agree with you about the olympics.

Jane

My husband and I have been finding ourselves frustrated and sometimes bored by the competitions this year.

We miss the days when they used to take a little time to try and educate you about the sport you were watching. They would show what elements to watch for and why they were sometimes judged they way they were instead of doing so many personal profiles of the athletes.

And the more they tell us what Bode thinks on different subjects, the less we care.

I basically have no use for the Olympics these days. Hubby has on some of it and I hate it but I hear it and I hear that Switzerland has canadian hockey players. This to me seems just wrong. Used to be you had to be an amateur and you actually were a citizen of the country you compete for and no drugs.

Now I hear the skiiers have pain meds injected into them to ski, the drug scandels, the whole think, just plain dont care as to who wins what.

I agree also a little less background would be nice. It's no longer purely about the sport and about endorcements. Nancy Kerrigan when she got the silver, the whole thing was about how much less money she will now make because she lost the gold I heard this on the news shows not from actually watching the Olympics.

I said to DH, if the Swiss team has canadian players, you might as well route for Switzerland because Canada probably has the russians. In pro sports I dont care, I think its fine, but this is where the athelets supposedly represent their country and you have pros mixed with amateurs, just a mess in my opinion and it just seems that so much of the original of what the Olympics stood for is just not there anymore that I cant stand it.

I wish the whole thing were over and we could have our regular programs back. If I were in my home, I would not watch it at all as in the past Ive watched none of it but being in a hotel with one room I have no choice if DH puts it on for a few min but thats about all I can stand at a time.

I am also against any kind of govt sponsorship, private funding yes no problems, govt no, as there are so many other more important things that the money could go for than for sports. Basically I really just dont care about who wins a gold bronze or silver and dont think its right that govts support this when there are old people starving to buy drugs or homeless or anything that is more important than any sport which is not a basic necessity of life. When I worked in the US I hated that any part of my tax dollars went to the Olympics, just never liked it and that I didnt even have a say in it.

Sorry folks just my opinion.

You're entitled to your opinion and I definately don't disagree with all of it. I also don't understand what constitutes citizenship enough for an athlete to compete for this country or that. For instance, the U.S. has an ice dancing couple that is allowed to compete because the U.S. rushed some new law through that allowed the female (Tanith something) to get citizenship quickly. Whether or not that's fair, I don't know. I don't know enough about citizenship requirements.

IMHO, it's fine to let pro athletes play. The Olympics wouldn't offer the best competition in the world if the pros weren't allowed to play. Pro snowboarders and pro skiers get to compete, why not pro hockey players? Even figure skaters have an acutal competition season every year. And all those "amateur' hockey players generally play pro in Europe, etc., even if they aren't in the NHL.

As for drug scandals, etc., it is unfortunate that we have to hear anything about drug scandals, but the fact is still that the vast majority of athletes are playing by the rules (at least they aren't taking anything that can be tested for). Maybe I'm naive, but I do believe this, even in baseball. Everyone was worried because Italy has such strict doping laws and there were going to be raids, etc. Well, during the Olympics, there's been hundreds of impromptu drug tests and only one athlete - a biathlete - has tested positive. And she tested positive for a stimulant, not steroids. A lot of the "drug scandals" are because the person took cough syrup that they shouldn't have or hair restoration drugs.

I'm not a sports fan, in general, but for some reason I really get into the Olympics. I like watching some of the more esoteric sports that I only see every 4 years, when I watch the olympics:rolleyes: I think you hear more about scandals than you used to--not that it happens more or less--that's just a media thing. And of course, if we didn't hear about it, there'd be moaning that they were trying to "keep things hushed up" so we don't really win either way. As for drugs--for some reason it doesn't bug me. I like that all medal winners are tested immediately and I think that most people are honest and don't use performance enhancing drugs, but--well, if the goal is to maintain an "even" playing field for all athletes, that's never going to be possible when you consider the training facilities some teams/countries have and the funding (private & govt) that many teams get vs. other countries. There's no such thing as a truly even playing field....But I still LOVE the Olympics:D

Maybe I am just jaded, but years ago, you had to be an amateur to compete. The Russians started it and hence the pros. I think it takes away from the original spirit of the game so for me it is not about which event, I think none of them should be able to be pro. Endorcements from private companies are fine, but not being a pro at it, but that is just me. Then it should just be a sports competition and not the Olympics anymore.

The whole Olympic thing with the scandals from how a city gets chosen to all of the rest of it, and basically if the US rushed through the citizenship so someone could compete for them, not fair, what about all the other people who have to wait for their citizenship the normal way, it is not fair to them.

The drugs, I dont believe the guy took the hair drug just for his hair, just my opinion as that drug is supposed to mask the other performance enhancing drugs, but then again it is just me and I admit to being very jaded. But then again if they allow them to ski with pain meds injected why not the performance enhancing drugs and let everyone take what they want wouldnt make a bit of difference to me.

I know I am very jaded and my opinion is probably not very popular and I hope I didnt offend anyone, just how I feel about it.

Archived