MSC requiring insurance for Americans cruising the Mediterranean.

Raymanator

17 minutes ago, KeepSailing said:

I had booked in early July and made final payment in mid-July for Transatlantic trip leaving Genoa on 10/31.  At time I did not have the Covid insurance as final payment was prior to the change in MSC requirements.  I was also able to do web check in with all passenger info and upload the security photos before having any insurance.

I subsequently learned of the new mandate to have Covid cover or will be denied boarding, so was able to obtain the "last minute" coverage thru MSC even though after final payment and had previously declined it.

As I understand it, the remaining documents (health questionnaire and proof of vax) are provided later after boarding documents are received.

regards,

On web check-in were you able to continue past the page "Select A Passenger To Check-In"?  This is the page with passenger(s) data and security photo and I can't continue beyond this point even though I have entered all the data and photos.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bratts2go said:

were you able to continue past the page "Select A Passenger To Check-In"?

On that page, it shows on the right side a "Your Progress" area and I have two green check marks next to passenger data and photo.  (sounds like you also have the two green check marks - if not, then the "edit info" button allows entry of missing data).

There is no way to proceed further at this point - that is fully "checked in" - at least as far as I understand.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KeepSailing said:

On that page, it shows on the right side a "Your Progress" area and I have two green check marks next to passenger data and photo.  (sounds like you also have the two green check marks - if not, then the "edit info" button allows entry of missing data).

There is no way to proceed further at this point - that is fully "checked in" - at least as far as I understand.

Thanks for your replies.  I do have the green check marks and am not able to access the Health Questionnaire at this point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bratts2go said:

Thanks for your replies.  I do have the green check marks and am not able to access the Health Questionnaire at this point.

I had the same question and apparently the health questionnaire can’t be filled out until very close to embarkation. My ticket from MSC just says it has to be done within 6 hours prior. 

On 8/11/2021 at 8:44 PM, bratts2go said:

The Heath Questionnaire is included with your e-ticket and is to be completed during the boarding process.  Although the green check marks indicated I had successfully completed the check in process, I couldn't access my tickets so I called MSC.  The rep indicated she would email my tickets and, within an hour, the tickets arrived in my email.  In over 60 cruises, I have never experienced the confusion over check-in process, insurance and other issues that I'm encountering with my September MSC cruise out of Barcelona. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-to-reimpose-entry-ban-on-travellers-from-us-5-other-third-countries-on-monday-sources-say/

According to Reuters, the decision on reimposing the *entry ban on US travellers* has been taken on Friday, August 27, but it will be officially announced only on Monday, August 30. The complete list of the countries affected goes as follows:

• Israel
  • Kosovo
  • Lebanon
  • Montenegro
  • North Macedonia
  • United States

All six have recently reported an increasing number of Coronavirus cases detected within their territory.

In the US, which is home to 328.2 million residents, a total of 38,158,495 cases have been detected since the beginning of the pandemic, 169,512 of which within the last 24 hours, data by the World Health Organization reveals.

On 8/12/2021 at 6:20 AM, DCGuy64 said:

I had the same question and apparently the health questionnaire can’t be filled out until very close to embarkation. My ticket from MSC just says it has to be done within 6 hours prior. 

Hi DC, how was your cruise experience?

15 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

So far, so good. We are in Italy on our way to Croatia now and no indication we can’t get off the ship tomorrow. 

Are you required to take MSC excursions or can you debark independently in Italian ports?

4 hours ago, sidari said:

I am just concerned that Americans who booked cruises in September onwards may not be allowed to board, in which case they will have to reschedule their fully paid Cruises and the MSc travel protection plan may be wasted.

Can the MSc travel protection plan payment also be carried forward ,?

45 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

So far, so good. We are in Italy on our way to Croatia now and no indication we can’t get off the ship tomorrow. 

Excellent ! let's hope that you will be able to go ashore and do your own private excursions

Edited by drsel

3 minutes ago, drsel said:

I am just concerned that Americans who booked cruises in September onwards may not be allowed to board, in which case they will have to reschedule their fully paid Cruises and the MSc travel protection plan may be wasted.

Can the MSc travel protection plan payment also be carried forward ,?

Good question.  This is the reason I'm waiting until I'm within a week of my Sep 18th cruise before purchasing MSC insurance.  By the way, they are quoting me $426 for my 7 day cruise in YC.

20 minutes ago, doublebzz said:

Good question.  This is the reason I'm waiting until I'm within a week of my Sep 18th cruise before purchasing MSC insurance.  By the way, they are quoting me $426 for my 7 day cruise in YC.

Yes, they are charging much more for the most expensive cabins. It's just like wealth tax!

50 minutes ago, doublebzz said:

This is the reason I'm waiting until I'm within a week of my Sep 18th cruise before purchasing MSC insurance

I know that normally the purchase of insurance has to be prior to making final payment, but since MSC changed the rules after some had already made final payment, seems they were somewhat flexible as of late and allowed purchasing the insurance late.

Any thoughts from anyone when MSC may stop allowing this late purchase flexibility?

In the insurance industry such early purchase requirement is usually to prevent so-called "moral risk", i.e., only those that are likely to suffer the event that pays off buy the coverage when they know they are at increased risk or already have suffered the triggering event.  Wonder if that is ever going to kick-in on this issue ...

I am trying to keep up with the insurance requirements for a September Med cruise.  Previously the MSC web site indicated you were required to purchase Covid insurance from MSC.  This morning the web site says:   "TRAVEL INSURANCE REQUIRED: All bookings are required to purchase a Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19.  If purchased from MSC Cruises, this must be purchased prior to making final payment on your booking. You must either purchase insurance through MSC Cruises or present at the pier documentation of sufficient coverage purchased from another provider, or you will be denied boarding."  

Is this a change or am I missing something?

14 minutes ago, doublebzz said:

Is this a change or am I missing something?

Yes, the language changed slightly over time, but the purchase of some type of travel insurance with Covid protection remains.  If you purchase from any insurance company other than the MSC then you need to prove adequacy of the coverage, if you purchase from MSC they already know it is adequate so you only need to show you bought it.

If you buy from someone other than MSC, it is somewhat unclear how detailed their review of other insurance company documents will be.  I assume they will want to check to be sure the passengers names are listed on the policy, that the limits of liability and types of coverage are adequate, and that the policy does not contain any form of exclusions that might be triggered by Covid (or anything related).  Probably requires more than just a policy "Declarations" page or Certificate - probably needs a description of the terms and conditions showing any limitations or exclusions.  But, I am guessing as I purchased from MSC to avoid the hassles of the documentation.

6 minutes ago, KeepSailing said:

But, I am guessing as I purchased from MSC to avoid the hassles of the documentation.

I am being quoted $426 from MSC for a 7 day cruise.  I can purchase 3rd party insurance for $141 so I think I can accept some degree of hassle.

• Like 1

I think that some of the wording changes dealt with what MSC now calls "Covid Services".  At one time, I think even those that purchased travel from other insurance companies were required to purchase MSC's Covid Services (due to costs of testing, etc.). 

Since they have pushed some of that off onto the psgs to get tested before arriving at pier, I think they now only require the unvaxed to buy those Services due to anticipated higher level of mid-cruise testing for them.

However, given the increased testing requirements being imposed in EU by various POCs even on the vaxed as a result of the decision to limit US tourists, I would not be surprised to see some changes in MSC's policies on "Covid Services" again ...

I spoke with an MSC agent this morning and she confirmed 3rd party Covid insurance is acceptable as long as it meets their minimums.  I purchased 3rd party insurance at 1/4 the cost MSC was quoting even though my military retirement medical benefit would completely cover any illness incurred.  But, avoiding the hassles as you put it.

2 hours ago, doublebzz said:

I spoke with an MSC agent this morning and she confirmed 3rd party Covid insurance is acceptable as long as it meets their minimums.  I purchased 3rd party insurance at 1/4 the cost MSC was quoting even though my military retirement medical benefit would completely cover any illness incurred.  But, avoiding the hassles as you put it.

Can you please share which insurance did you purchase.

I cruise on the 6th from Miami and I didn't get any insurance.

When I booked yesterday it clearly said that it was only mandatory for vaxxed people.

Not sure if I need it.

27 minutes ago, MiamiHeater said:

I cruise on the 6th from Miami and I didn't get any insurance.

The travel insurance is not mandatory for fully vaxed leaving US port for Caribbean at the moment.  But also, they are in the departure window that only allows fully vaxed adults (12 or older) to board.  If there is a child 2-11 they do not appear to require Covid insurance if traveling with adult who is fully vaxed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MiamiHeater said:

Can you please share which insurance did you purchase.

Cruise Critic rules do not permit naming specific companies; however, if you google "covid travel insurance", I'm sure you will find many options.  I am on a European cruise so insurance is mandatory even for vaxed persons - don't believe that is the case for the Caribbean.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

This thread seems to have veered off topic. This is for Mediterranean cruises.

You are correct but it doesn't hurt to get as much information as you can given MSC's frequent policy changes.  In the course of the last few weeks, with regard to Europe cruises, MSC exempted vaxers from the insurance requirement, then required purchasing insurance only through MSC and, within the last couple of days, now permits 3rd party insurance purchases.