P2 Balcony

SamanthasDad

This will be our first cruise on the QM2. We will be travelling with our 18 Month old.

Cunard have now told us that they do not supply netting for the balcony.

Having only cruised with P&O previously, I thought that this was standard.

Does anyone have details/pictures of these balconies?

Do they contain holes big enough for a toddler to climb through?

This could possibly be a show stopper as to whether we go or not.

This will be our first cruise on the QM2. We will be travelling with our 18 Month old.

Cunard have now told us that they do not supply netting for the balcony.

Having only cruised with P&O previously, I thought that this was standard.

Does anyone have details/pictures of these balconies?

Do they contain holes big enough for a toddler to climb through?

This could possibly be a show stopper as to whether we go or not.

we traveled in p-1 and p-2 most recently cabin #10025 rails are high and the see thru panels tightly fitted to the rails and framing. i'm confident no toddler or small child would be at risk while playing on the balcony. p cat balconies are larger than most balconies and have room for two full size teak deck chairs and room for your toddler to play as well. go enjoy dont worry. bonvoyage

She will be supervised at all times on the cruise.

But we still want to be 100% sure that she is not able to squeeze underneath the balcony. You would be amazed at the spaces that a toddler can get into, and how fast she is able to do it.

I have emailed Cunard and TA, hopefully one of them will be able to clarify the exact dimensions.

I have found a few photos on the web, and it looks as if there is a gap. http://*****.com/nmjyv

I completely understand your concern, which might be bordering on paranoia, but when you're dealing with a toddler, it's not a logical thought process, and the one-in-a-zillion chances are the ones that keep you awake at night. A couple of suggestions to consider: (1) I found balcony netting at a baby-supply store intended for apartment balconies, but I don't see why taking some wouldn't work in the P2 cabin; (2) another way to feel more secure: book connecting in-hull cabins instead of the junior suite - you'll still have plenty of room, and no gaps on the balcony (although my toddler paranoia would worry she would climb up on the balcony chairs and still manage to tip over the side ...); (3) keep your nice cabin, and bring along a portable playpen for the balcony, and only allow her out on the balcony in the playpen.

By the way, I survived toddler parenthood (our daughter's six now), but very well recall the nearly endless worry - it does ease off, eventually (but never goes away!)

I've had a reply from Cunard. They say that the gap is 10cm.

That seems to be small enough to stop her crawling through.

I will test her by creating an equivalent gap and putting some toys on the other side.

I might be paranoid but I would rather find out that she can squeeze through a gap that size in the comfort of our living room, rather than in the middle of the Mediterranean.

Hello Sam's Dad,

I fully appreciate your concern, worry, fear. I took my 2 year old child for the first curise some years ago and still remember the panic eveytime he ran lose on the promenade deck. As I can record, there's a gap at the bottom of the railings that's big enough for myself to squeesze through. Well, I surived that. As your concern of the gap with the balcony rail, I would suggest to find the latest safty measure/s of crib/baby cot, you may find the acceptable size of gaps that's safe for toddlers. Hope all will work out for you and your family, how nice to be able to take your young family for a trip!

Bluefish

Though I am not a believe in those harness leash things for kids, this might be a case where it makes sense. You see them in places like Disney World and think it looks like they are walking a dog, but in reality, it gives them some freedom they might not otherwise have by being strapped into a stroller all day long.

We have just purchased a harness for her. Same as you I wasn't a big fan of them.

The one that we purchased is actually a small backpack which a leash attaches to. the pack also has a handle which means that you are able let her walk but if she falls or changes direction quickly, you can pick her up off her feet and set her back upright in the right direction. When on deck we will probably have her in this, her stroller or a front/back pack that I wear.

Archived