Explorer may 2 2022

katykrol

I am considering this Barcelona to Istanbul  cruise next year. I really dislike flying, which has kept me from doing this type of cruise, as we typically leave out of Florida. However, an opportunity has presented itself so I’m considering for the first time. Business class air is included and I have read all about the air deviation from reading almost the entire deviation sticky note. I found some good day before hotels thank to the note as well. 

There are not any non stop flights from Houston to Barcelona. So my question is, most people are saying do not connect in the U.S. so question is why? I get that the domestic flight won’t be in business class, I can handle a 3 hour flight in economy. I will more than likely pay the deviation to get what I want (or attempt to). But, for me, it seems less confusing to fly to Houston to Newark, then just a 7 hr 45 min flight straight into Barcelona. Flying into Frankfurt (which I read is a bit of a nightmare) or London, I worry about missing the connection. 

also I know my TA is supposed to provide my requests to regent air, etc, but for me to look I know there were also discussions what carriers regent has contracts with and who doesn’t. If I call regent will they provide that info to me so I can decide if this is something I want to do? 

and oh… leaving out of Istanbul. There is one direct flight on Turkish air to Houston. Anyone flown that airline and does anyone know if they are on the approved list. 

and for the life of me I can’t figure out how to search this forum. It used to be so easy. 

thanks for any insight and help.

If your domestic connection flight is with the same carrier as the international segment, you will probably find that you will be booked 1st class. Same for the return domestic segment. No guarantee, but this is what i have seen personally on 5 Regent cruises.

I see United and delta but for some reason the delta flight is so much more expensive. There is a Lufthansa flight (that says operated by United) that is the same time as the United flight but like thousands of dollars more which I can’t figure out. 

Katy:

When flying to Europe I always try to find a direct flight from Atlanta.

I can’t fly international from my city.

I try to avoid changing planes in Europe.

There are many European cities that require a stop in Europe to get to.

For example: Copenhagen 

I would advise you to fly from Houston to Atlanta and then get on a direct flight to Barcelona.

Do you research regarding Istanbul back to the US. 

I have found changing planes in Amsterdam is the easiest. No terminal change… just a long walk to the new gate.

We try to avoid the Paris airport and 

Heathrow. 

We would much rather change planes in the US rather than Heathrow or Frankfurt or Paris.  Just make sure there is plenty of time between flights.  The only reason we would avoid a short flight to a major US hub would be if it were a regional jet (many times carry-ons need to be checked as you get on the plane)

I get an idea of what kind of flights and connections are available that I like and let my TA and Regent work out the actual flights, I always have a couple days to review and approve.  I don't see that there is a correlation between the prices we may see and what the Regent has for their contract, so I just look at the flights and connections.

Something tells me that flight will be constantly changing until things get back to normal.  I am in the time period where I can request a deviation and get our flights booked, but I am going to wait a couple of months.  It is just my gut feel, but the airlines probably don't have good data yet to predict what flights etc will be needed 6 or 7 months from now.

I want our air tickets to be made by our TA through Regent.  Then Regent will also work changes that may occur with embarkation ports etc.

• Like 1

I don't hate flying the way you do.  But I have mused about taking the Queen Mary 2 from New York to England as an alternative to flying.  Of course, this requires much more time than flying, 7 days versus a few hours, but being retired that is not an issue for me.  And cruising to take a cruise sounds sort of nice.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mrstanley said:

Katy:

When flying to Europe I always try to find a direct flight from Atlanta.

I can’t fly international from my city.

I try to avoid changing planes in Europe.

There are many European cities that require a stop in Europe to get to.

For example: Copenhagen 

I would advise you to fly from Houston to Atlanta and then get on a direct flight to Barcelona.

Do you research regarding Istanbul back to the US. 

I have found changing planes in Amsterdam is the easiest. No terminal change… just a long walk to the new gate.

We try to avoid the Paris airport and 

Heathrow. 

I saw a flight from Atlanta but the connection time was only 40 minutes which was way too short for my comfort zone. 

I did see a nonstop from Miami and Newark to Barcelona Been to the Miami airport countless times but never Newark.  Connection times vary between 1 hr 30 min to 3 hr 30 min. I am petrified to miss the connection. 

on the way home, Turkish air has a non stop, but not sure is regent contracts with them or not. Weirdly, on the itinerary we arrive in Istanbul at 1:00 pm on 5/13. And it shows departure on 5/15 at 12:00 am. I’m assuming they aren’t kicking us off the ship at midnight. All the other flights leave like at 6:30 am with connections in either London, Paris, Frankfurt or Amsterdam. Glad to know about Amsterdam,  that will be my 2nd choice.