Medallion App Instructions For Android Devices

Daniel A

On 8/5/2021 at 7:40 PM, dreaminofcruisin said:

hm....

So, I decided to go look at the version number that actually got loaded. It turned out to be an old version! Huh? How in the heck did that happen? So, once again, I uninstalled and re-installed. I am truly amazed, but it appears to now work on the Samsung Galaxy Tab!

I don't sail until February, but just mostly wanted to be sure that my Dining Reservations that I had managed to load a while ago (before the app broke on my phone) were still there, since we are a group of 7 with 2 little ones and wanted to be sure we have early dining. The reservations are still there, so that was most important!

Maybe tomorrow I will get brave and uninstall and reinstall on my phone.... 

🤷‍♀️

On the current "live from" (I think that's where I saw it), someone posted that they're ignoring reservations. It's apparently ATD for everyone, unless you talk to the MD or HW to select a table & time.

• 2 weeks later...

And the Americans have it easy 😉 You get your medallions posted to you in advance. We Brits have to wait in line and get them at the port. So check in is no better than queueing for a cruise card.

My last cruise in Dec'19 on Sky Princess was a great holiday but a disaster for the App. We managed to order 1 drink in two weeks. I spent hours trying to make it work but it just wouldn't. Not even the 'helpers' could help. And to think they've had 18 months of development time to get this sorted and it's new version is no better.

Princess is a great cruise line, but Carnival have used them as a guinea pig and will pay the price.

I will forgive a lot on my UK Seacation in September, just because I'll be glad to get back on the ship, but in future the app will be a serious reason not to travel with them again.

• 2 months later...

We bought a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite 3 weeks ago because our old tablet wouldn't take the App. The app is downloaded, but certain things don't work. Scanning the passport didn't work but when I entered all the data manually it puts a red line under the expiration date and states "expiration date must be after the end of the cruise" and the "save" button is not dark so it doesn't save the info. The exp. date is 18 months after our cruise ends!! We have tried this 4 times with the same result. Is there an email address for Med help? 

3 minutes ago, cruzmore99 said:

We bought a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite 3 weeks ago because our old tablet wouldn't take the App. The app is downloaded, but certain things don't work. Scanning the passport didn't work but when I entered all the data manually it puts a red line under the expiration date and states "expiration date must be after the end of the cruise" and the "save" button is not dark so it doesn't save the info. The exp. date is 18 months after our cruise ends!! We have tried this 4 times with the same result. Is there an email address for Med help? 

I know this may be a dumb question, but did you enter the date format correctly?

18 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I know this may be a dumb question, but did you enter the date format correctly?

We worked on it together so everything that was entered was checked twice (actually checked 4 times after the first attempt didn't work).  Dealing with the app has been an extremely frustrating experience so we are trying to enter as much info now so we can look forward to the 20 days of cruising in January.  Thanks for all the info you are giving out to many cruisers. I believe you let us know we didn't need a PCR test to fly into the States and get on the cruise (and I thanked you previously for that info).

1 hour ago, cruzmore99 said:

I bought the same tablet a month ago because of the cruise we just booked.  We have never even had a smartphone so it took a lot of help from a friend I met here on CC and a LOT of YouTube videos to get me going.  When I went to scan our passports I had all kinds of issues because I didn't know how the scanner worked in the Medallion App - along with an abundance of user error.  But once I watched a video and it told me that I didn't have to push a "scan" button (because I couldn't find one) all I had to do is adjust the picture until the green bar showed and it scanned automatically - got it done.  The last task was taking our pictures.  Getting mine was fine - basically a selfie.  But when I went to take my wife's picture I couldn't figure out how to turn the camera so that it took a picture going the other way - so we played twister and I got her picture taken in selfie mode 🙂  I still don't know how to turn the camera in the Medallion App - it's easy in the normal Samsung camera mode - there is a button.  Don't think I'll use the Medallion App to take any more pictures so no big deal.  But the technology dinosaur just got the Green Lane 🙂  I know this isn't helping you - just wanted you to know you weren't suffering alone 🙂  Good luck!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruzmore99 said:

We worked on it together so everything that was entered was checked twice (actually checked 4 times after the first attempt didn't work).  Dealing with the app has been an extremely frustrating experience so we are trying to enter as much info now so we can look forward to the 20 days of cruising in January.  Thanks for all the info you are giving out to many cruisers. I believe you let us know we didn't need a PCR test to fly into the States and get on the cruise (and I thanked you previously for that info).

Sorry... I know the App has a lot of issues.  @bjkTX has good tip above.  Just bring id and proof of vaccine and test and you should be okay.

Edited by Steelers36

46 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

I bought the same tablet a month ago because of the cruise we just booked.  We have never even had a smartphone so it took a lot of help from a friend I met here on CC and a LOT of YouTube videos to get me going.  When I went to scan our passports I had all kinds of issues because I didn't know how the scanner worked in the Medallion App - along with an abundance of user error.  But once I watched a video and it told me that I didn't have to push a "scan" button (because I couldn't find one) all I had to do is adjust the picture until the green bar showed and it scanned automatically - got it done.  The last task was taking our pictures.  Getting mine was fine - basically a selfie.  But when I went to take my wife's picture I couldn't figure out how to turn the camera so that it took a picture going the other way - so we played twister and I got her picture taken in selfie mode 🙂  I still don't know how to turn the camera in the Medallion App - it's easy in the normal Samsung camera mode - there is a button.  Don't think I'll use the Medallion App to take any more pictures so no big deal.  But the technology dinosaur just got the Green Lane 🙂  I know this isn't helping you - just wanted you to know you weren't suffering alone 🙂  Good luck!!!

We don't have a smart phone either (although our kids and grandkids think we should have one by now). Maybe I'll look at a few more videos about scanning the passport; I was feeling good when I discovered a way to enter the info manually, but then it didn't accept it. We haven't tried to put in a photo yet. The online Samsung user guide is ONLY 99 pages (not good for bedtime reading).  I was hoping to get the Green Lane, but we may just wait for several things to get done at the terminal, but we will have all the paperwork, proof of vaccines and negative test, etc. We have to pick up the medallion there because they don't ship to Canada.  Thanks for the info; take care

1 minute ago, cruzmore99 said:

We don't have a smart phone either (although our kids and grandkids think we should have one by now). Maybe I'll look at a few more videos about scanning the passport; I was feeling good when I discovered a way to enter the info manually, but then it didn't accept it. We haven't tried to put in a photo yet. The online Samsung user guide is ONLY 99 pages (not good for bedtime reading).  I was hoping to get the Green Lane, but we may just wait for several things to get done at the terminal, but we will have all the paperwork, proof of vaccines and negative test, etc. We have to pick up the medallion there because they don't ship to Canada.  Thanks for the info; take care

I haven't had much luck trying to use the manual - it was written assuming you already knew the basics (from having a smart phone I guess).  But I have had good luck just asking the question in Google and watching videos.  There are a couple of good videos with tips for this tablet if you haven't seen it yet - like  how to keep the screen from going dark every 30 seconds 🙂

53 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Sorry... I know the App has a lot of issues.  @bjkTX has good tip above.  Just bring id and proof of vaccine and test and you should be okay.

We will have all the paperwork, passports, proof of vaccines and test results for sure. It's been somewhat reassuring that other people are having similar problems and are trying different things. We just want to get away from some of the winter weather in 2022 after staying home in 2021.

6 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

I haven't had much luck trying to use the manual - it was written assuming you already knew the basics (from having a smart phone I guess).  But I have had good luck just asking the question in Google and watching videos.  There are a couple of good videos with tips for this tablet if you haven't seen it yet - like  how to keep the screen from going dark every 30 seconds 🙂

I didn't find the manual very user friendly either and the quick start guide was useless. I found a place somewhere in Settings so I changed the screen timeout from 10 seconds to 5 minutes. Learning some new things is good for this 72 year old brain and Google has been really helpful. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cruzmore99 said:

We will have all the paperwork, passports, proof of vaccines and test results for sure. It's been somewhat reassuring that other people are having similar problems and are trying different things. We just want to get away from some of the winter weather in 2022 after staying home in 2021.

Glad you are venturing out.  We spent two months in FL last Winter.  NP at all - except it was a bit of a pain to do the 14-day quarantine.  This Winter three months and no quarantine at the end - and maybe no PCR either (we shall see).