2 whale watch tours too much?

Majesty Fan

Not in my opinion. Beauty is the main reason we love Alaska, but the wildlife, particularly whales, is another great reason. In 2001 we cruised on the Carnival Spirit and actually went on three excursions where we saw whales. The first was in Juneau, but not with Captain Larry. (We went back last summer and went with him.) We went on the Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest in Sitka, and even though the otters were probably the main attraction, we did see a few whales. Our last excursion was post-cruise in Seward. We did a several hour tour of Kenai Fjords and saw a few whales on that excursion as well. It's always exciting to see them and in Juneau and Sitka, we had enough time to explore the towns as well.

Hello, We are booked to go on the whale watching trip with Captain Larry. We were wondering if we should also go on the sea otter excursion in Sitka or if this would seem too much of the same...Since you've been on both, what do you think? Thank you.

We didn't go back to Sitka this past time, but if we had I would have wanted to do the same excursion again. To me, it is not too much of the same thing because the scenery is different and the otters are worth the trip themselves. We also saw a mother bear and her cub on the shore on the Sitka excursion. I know that is probably not the norm, but our guides said bears were seen often. As I said earlier, we also had enough time to see Sitka, which by the way, I think is probably more like the Alaska everybody imagines.

Majesty fan: We are doing the same thing you are. We are booked with Captain Larry in Juneau then some of us are booked on a private tour at ISP with Glacier Wind. There are only 3 of us so far on that ISP boat, but I'm sure there will be 2-3 more people joining us (they only take 6 people out!)

I don't think you can ever get tired of seeing "too many" whales!!

Have a great time.

We are on the Vision in June and was wondering if 2 whale watch tours was too much. We planned on doing one with Capt Larry In Juneau and the other in Icy Straight. Is that too much? Not much offered for IS.

Lexi

In my opinion there is never too much whale watching. One never knows what will happen on the next trip or even in the next minute. Every trip is different and offers it's own special excitement or insight to the adventure. I operate every trip I possibly can as I am afraid I might miss something special. My vacations are focused on places to go whale watching (OK I am obsessed). Caution: Whale watching can be habit forming. Proceed with caution.

We also have booked with Capt. Larry on June 24th. But was also thinking too of a trip in Sitka but did not know who to go with. Some of the ones we read about had a Very small boat. Can't do that! What was the size of the ones any of you took in Sitka? And who with? Thanks Muggs

Majesty Fan - we booked with Glacier Winds. They were recommended on these boards. I don't have that info with me right now, but if you Google Glacier Winds in Icy Strait Point, you should be able to find it. If not, just respond back here and I will get that info for you.

Went on Captian Larry and the Sea Otter Quest in Sitka last year. We enjoyed both trips. Saw whales on both. Saw more whales and closer whales with Captain Larry, but got to see one breech on the Sea Otter Quest. What other marine life you see is different on both also. On Captain Larry's we saw sea lions and porpoises. On the ses Otter Quest we got to see obviously sea otters, but we were fortunate enough to have calm waters and were able to go and see the puffins. I would do both again.

Lexi,

You have to decide how important whalewatching is in the grand plan. Depending on what else is offered, you have to make the decision.

On our last tour we had same question, and waited til we got on ship to make the decision for ISP. We wanted to do whalewatching and to see bears. We got to see bear closeup on smokey day in denali, and we went whale watching with Cap Larry in Juneau. However, on this tour, we were doomed from the beginning, with the Summit being delayed twice in getting to Juneau. Capt Larry was great, rebooked tours and took all the Summit people on a 3:30 or 4 pm tour. Staff were great. BUT, we had rain the whole time and majority of people stayed inside whole time. We saw whales but had to really motor way out to see them, and it was so gray out, photos looked drab.

Since we had gone to Katmai for a bear viewing tour from Homer and spent at least five hours close up, we dicided to try whalewatching again in ISP. This time we had sunny day, and saw at least 60-75 whales. JUst the luck of the draw.

If whalewatching is priority, do them both. You could also do private tour with charter boat in ISP and maybe see both.

I went with Larry 4 times last year. :) Plus Icy Striat and Kenai Fjords with a repeating breeching humpback. Not counting at least 6 Gloucester trips plus 3 night research trip. So it depends on your priorities!!!

Never enough for me. :)

Archived