Viking Star Has Arrived

Staffordshirecruiser

Hi All, after it’s detour to Iceland, Viking Star has arrived in Portsmouth ready to accept passengers on the next three weeks cruises.  Looking at the port cruise calendar it looks like they may have a couple more planned for us as well.  It’s delightful to have some Viking cruises which start and finish in UK for those of us not too keen on air travel so let’s enjoy it while we can!  Look forward to meeting some of you on the next two cruises as we are doing a back to back, especially if you’ve signed up to the book of faces welcome events.  Happy travelling.

Good to hear she has arrived.   Have a great trip.

If you have time let us know if you have any problems embarking and if we are to be allowed on shore alone!

If you pass us anywhere on the 14th cruise do say hello.  You can’t miss me as I walk with a rollator.

Angela and Peter

Hi Mancunians,

Having road tested the embarkation for you yesterday, just a couple of suggestions.

Parking -the embarkation parking was different yesterday.  When we parked on the Multi storey there was no one to lift your bag out of the car, or take it across to the terminal.  There are a couple of ways of solving this.  Firstly to drop the bags off first, or secondly to cancel the current arrangement and book valet parking, which I think is a few pounds more expensive, but probably worth it.  

Embarkation - the embarkation was through a Marquis type structure rather than the terminal itself. I wasn’t sure how someone with a rolator would manage, because of the travel distance and the floor material. It may well be fine, but might be worth asking Viking personnel if they can alter the route, or help you in other ways like carrying your handbag. The gangway should be fine as long as you don’t let yourself feel rushed, and let someone carry the rolator and your bags. 

Once on board, you will be able to get on with enjoying the cruise. 

Hope this helps, just let us know if anything else would help?

• Like 1

CPS parking is £77 for the week. Very efficient.

Also once through check in, you are taken by bus to the ship. To get onto the ship, there are stairs but plenty of people around to help. If the people at check in do not say anything, then it may be worth asking there about help with the stairs onto the boat if you feel you may need it.

Edited by downsmead

On 8/6/2021 at 4:21 PM, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Hi All, after it’s detour to Iceland, Viking Star has arrived in Portsmouth ready to accept passengers on the next three weeks cruises.  Looking at the port cruise calendar it looks like they may have a couple more planned for us as well.  It’s delightful to have some Viking cruises which start and finish in UK for those of us not too keen on air travel so let’s enjoy it while we can!  Look forward to meeting some of you on the next two cruises as we are doing a back to back, especially if you’ve signed up to the book of faces welcome events.  Happy travelling.

Thank you for your informative and helpful information.  Hope you have a fabulous couple of weeks and look forward to your postings.

If on board you glean any further information with regards to additional UK sailings, please share!  

Regards

Thanks Staffordshire for the info.  We will as you suggest drop the luggage (plus me) off first before Peter goes to park the car.  I am sure we will manage the rest.  Peter can carry my rollator folded with his good arm up the gangplank and I will manage with my stick.  But thank you so much for drawing our attention to the change in parking,   Getting really excited now.  If only we are allowed ashore alone it would be perfect.

Angela