Cruising with Unvaxed Kids - Time to Decide...

15 minutes ago, sambao21 said:

Do you have a link to where that's stated for the first part? I couldn't find anything on rc website explicitly explaining that, and didn't want to take chance on my own personal interpretation.

I did found link for the excursion part though.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/are-there-any-experiences-that-are-closed

Here is something I found looking as well. It says right on the top of the page:

image.png.2570460d22db5c49a6284906690b5042.png

I have yet to find anything that says if you're traveling with unvaccinated you're also considered unvaccinated. 

Just wanted to edit that this is per ship/per cruise port. My cruise is going to Coco Cay and Nassau, my kid will be allowed in Coco Cay but only my wife and I will be allowed in Nassau UNLESS we book an excursion through Royal. 

Edited by DonJuan77
  • Thanks 2

Thanks. I've seen those anecdotes as well. Was looking for something official from RCI, if it exists. I definitely hope that's the actual policy but will do my due diligence and call a couple of times to stay on top of any actual policy changes so not as to end up like them Seattle cruisers that was "misinformed".

7 hours ago, DonJuan77 said:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/are-there-any-experiences-that-are-closed

Here is something I found looking as well. It says right on the top of the page:

image.png.2570460d22db5c49a6284906690b5042.png

I have yet to find anything that says if you're traveling with unvaccinated you're also considered unvaccinated. 

Just wanted to edit that this is per ship/per cruise port. My cruise is going to Coco Cay and Nassau, my kid will be allowed in Coco Cay but only my wife and I will be allowed in Nassau UNLESS we book an excursion through Royal. 

Thank you. It's a little clearer and indicates to stick with "Everyone" category. The clarification Im going to ask RCI to make is if that's all the time or when only in physical presence of the unvaccinated kid. Like if kid was asleep with grandparents, could mom and dad go to the vaccinated areas without masks. I totally get when the child is with us, we are restricted, which is unfortunate but I can live with. Every anecdote I've read indicates that mom and dad could if kid isn't with them , but no official policy documented.

I find it absolutely shocking that parents with unvaccinated children could be treated in this way, being excluded as if a second class citizen, it’s utter madness. 

We board the Anthem next week and everyone can go where they like and eat when they want. We hope to board the Harmony next month too and it has none of these type of restrictions.

Being vaccinated doesn’t stop you catching COVID and passing it on, it stops severe disease and reduces the chances of death. So these rules on the Freedom make absolutely no sense at all (Bonkers) 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Rangers1982 said:

I find it absolutely shocking that parents with unvaccinated children could be treated in this way, being excluded as if a second class citizen, it’s utter madness. 

the parents are only treated that way if they are accompanied by their unvaxxed kids. If the parents are vaxxed and are going to a vaxxed only venue alone, without the kids in tow, they are not treated any differently than any other vaxxed passenger.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, sambao21 said:

Thank you. It's a little clearer and indicates to stick with "Everyone" category. The clarification Im going to ask RCI to make is if that's all the time or when only in physical presence of the unvaccinated kid. Like if kid was asleep with grandparents, could mom and dad go to the vaccinated areas without masks. I totally get when the child is with us, we are restricted, which is unfortunate but I can live with. Every anecdote I've read indicates that mom and dad could if kid isn't with them , but no official policy documented.

If you look at this sentence it makes it very clear:

image.png.79bf1c89802d355605bc1780870ea931.png 

• Like 1

We have been on Allure this week. Our youngest daughter, son in law, two grandaughters ages 1 and 3 are also here. Adults can go anywhere since they are vaccinated. Just restricted when kids are with them. They have left kids with us, utilized Adventure Ocean, and Royal babysitting to get off the ship and/or attend adult shows. We all eat together at dinner. Has been fun.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Sianli said:

We have been on Allure this week. Our youngest daughter, son in law, two grandaughters ages 1 and 3 are also here. Adults can go anywhere since they are vaccinated. Just restricted when kids are with them. They have left kids with us, utilized Adventure Ocean, and Royal babysitting to get off the ship and/or attend adult shows. We all eat together at dinner. Has been fun.

This is great to hear!! We are traveling on the OASIS with a 6yr old who is obviously not vaccinated. Everyone else in our group is fully vaccinated (parents, myself, my wife, our teenager). The places I believe excluded for unvaxxed are areas where our 6 yr old wouldn't really go anyway. We are going to Port Canveral (and likely not getting off at all, since "Florida", though they appear to MAYBE be peaking, and in 40 days things MIGHT be a lot better), Coco Cay (which everyone can enjoy - we have the Thrill Park for myself and our teenager), and Nassau (where we may stay on the ship - we have never been on an Oasis class ship so more ship time to enjoy!!). 

Adventure Ocean is open without restrictions as far as you know? Feeling better everyday..especially now that ALL passengers must be vaccinated over 12 (I am confident this was going to be the rule on the OASIS from NJ, but now very happy). 

Edited by JMKreno

On 8/19/2021 at 12:15 PM, mauraoel said:

If you look at this sentence it makes it very clear:

image.png.79bf1c89802d355605bc1780870ea931.png 

Yeah I get that when together. I'm seeking more explicit definition when not together. Yeah, I'm pedantic like that 🙂

50 minutes ago, sambao21 said:

Yeah I get that when together. I'm seeking more explicit definition when not together. Yeah, I'm pedantic like that 🙂

Anytime your unvaccinated child is NOT with you then you are free to visit anywhere even the areas marked as vaccinated only.  

The rules are pretty clear about that…..

• Like 2

On our AOS sailing we have about 100 minors with a 610ish total number of passengers. Kids club is open, although with restrictions: you need to select a 3 hour time slot and they don’t mix children. The 3 hours is filled with arts/crafts, science and a movie.

Edited by exm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

Anytime your unvaccinated child is NOT with you then you are free to visit anywhere even the areas marked as vaccinated only.  

The rules are pretty clear about that…..

I didn't see explicit rules documented anywhere yet of what you said. I mean what you said was so concise and clear enough to me that RC should take your words verbatim (minus the all caps) and put it in their FAQs and that would be perfectly clear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, sambao21 said:

What's not to understand when your kids are otherwise engaged (i.e. kids club or maybe with other family)  you can access vaccinated only locations.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mauraoel said:

What's not to understand when your kids are otherwise engaged (i.e. kids club or maybe with other family)  you can access vaccinated only locations.

I understand what you are saying. I was wanting to see explicit documented info from RC in an official capacity.

• 2 months later...
On 8/19/2021 at 5:37 AM, Rangers1982 said:

We board the Anthem next week and everyone can go where they like and eat when they want. We hope to board the Harmony next month too and it has none of these type of restrictions.

Being vaccinated doesn’t stop you catching COVID and passing it on, it stops severe disease and reduces the chances of death. So these rules on the Freedom make absolutely no sense at all (Bonkers) 

2 months later

Your child got Covid on a cruise, and thankfully,  because of strict shocking protocols, the risk to others was reduced. Hope you’re all doing well.  

Edited by Chauncey Picklepants

On 8/8/2021 at 3:14 PM, Tjterrill said:

MY QUESTION: Has anyone sailed since the re-start in this mixed status group, with parents vaxed and kids not?

And if so, what was your experience? I can certainly see it being limiting, but also not too big of a deal. 

Please keep any political, judgmental, or comments unrelated to the specific question out of this. I'm genuinely just looking to hear from those who might have sailed under these conditions for advice. 

Thanks in advance! 

Here I am not actually answering your questions.  But I wanted to tell you that I COMPLETELY understand the dilemma.  

We had a multi-generational cruise planned for December 2021, but our final payment to the big box TA was before we would have any clue if the littles could get vaccinated or if the older (and/or immunocompromised) could get a booster.  It was a REALLY tough decision to make, but we rescheduled to June 2022.

Now that it's November, I really wish we were still cruising in slightly over a month, but we just didn't know what to do.  The unknowns are a huge challenge, when trying to coordinate everything (and everyone).

Good luck to you in whatever you decide.  No judgements here.