Transfer to Florence from Livorno?

rockinjo

Does anyone have any ideas how to get 4 people from the ship in Livorno to Florence and back by 6pm without spending a fortune? Do the trains run regularly. . .can we get back to the ship easily? Would rather hire a car if someone knows a reliable one.

Hi there;

there are many local trains every day...so i would not be concerned.

hope this website assists you

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

i travel throughout italy quite often... it amazes me that when we were in rome last summer on a cruise the ship transfer to rome was unbelievable.

when the ship offered a free transfer to downtown civatevecchia and then a train to downtown rome was a mere 5 eur....

now i am not cheap,,,but my logic is that the money i just saved justified me going to armani and buying something that is tangible....instead of spending usd 50.00 for a tranfer to rome...

i liike the way u travel....u are very smart.

I have done this twice - first time very successful doing the train - you would need to take taxi from ship to the train station - on the way back we even stopped in Pisa.

Last July 2005 - HOWEVER - decided to do the same thing - got off the ship and found that the trains were on STRIKE - ship tours full - forced to hire a taxi driver to take us and bring us back - I think we paid around $300 for the day (US) however we needed to pay him in Euros so did stop at bank in Florence - very nice man and he did stop in Pisa. I had checked on hiring a driver for the day and it was around $500 so it was better but definitely changed my plans. There had been no announcement on board to the fact that the trains were on strike but luckily there were still some taxis left!

Good luck - Cruiser Nonna

• 1 month later...

I recommend Alessandro Cammilli [alecamma@hotmail.com]. He picked us up in Livorno and took us to Florence. In Florence he can personally take you around the city (he is not a licensed guide but is quite knowledgeable of the city) or you can go on your own. If you go on your own, he will give you a map which lays out a walking tour of the city with all the major sites marked. He tells you the best and cheapest places to eat. He will make reservations in advance if you want to go to any museums. He even provides a cell phone to call him if you need to or when you are ready to leave.

When we were done in Florence, he then took us to Pisa for a visit there. All in all it was a great day. At the end of our tour, he presented me with a bottle of Tuscany wine which he knew I wanted to purchase but didn't have time for a stop at a winery.

His car can accomodate 2 couples and his rates are very good. He is very reliable.

Have a wonderful time in Florence - we did!

are all the questions on florence as it said aboutbthe train to civetevechia. iam doing cruise to rome i april arriving there on 1st may i found it cheaper to go by train from port to rome do all ships do tranfers or how much is a taxi to the train stn. as i'm goinbg again to rome on10th may and gerytting back on 13thn i nreed tom sort out the cheapest way of getting from the port to rome

dave

First of all. . .thank you dsawyer, toscoma and cruiser nonna. . . you are all terrific and very helpful. I am going to e-mail both of your suggestions and see what their prices are. Your note about the train strike made me remember a sailing out of Genoa years ago where everything was on strike and we had to drag our luggage up the gangplank. . those were the days before wheels on suitcases! Thanks for the heads up. . .I'll have to rethink the train idea. I am very unhappy that we get to Florence on a Monday and everything I was excited about showing my daughter and her kids will be closed. . .there goes the David, the Uffizzi, etc. etc.. .

so I don't think we need a guide while we are in Florence. . but it would be fun to stop at Pisa on the way back to the ship. I'll let you know how I make out. . .and thanks again for the help.

would you be so kind as to check Alessandro's e-mail address. I just tried writing and it wouldn't go through. . .I am really anxious to try to contact him.

I recommend Alessandro Cammilli [alecamma@hotmail.com]. He picked us up in Livorno and took us to Florence. In Florence he can personally take you around the city (he is not a licensed guide but is quite knowledgeable of the city) or you can go on your own. If you go on your own, he will give you a map which lays out a walking tour of the city with all the major sites marked. He tells you the best and cheapest places to eat. He will make reservations in advance if you want to go to any museums. He even provides a cell phone to call him if you need to or when you are ready to leave.

When we were done in Florence, he then took us to Pisa for a visit there. All in all it was a great day. At the end of our tour, he presented me with a bottle of Tuscany wine which he knew I wanted to purchase but didn't have time for a stop at a winery.

His car can accomodate 2 couples and his rates are very good. He is very reliable.

Have a wonderful time in Florence - we did!

Any reccomendations on what tour to take if your stop in Florence is on the Monday. I wanted to do the Tuscan Landmarks but if I can't into the museums is is worth it? I may try and then convince my mother to go to Florence after the cruise instead of staying in Rome. I know she is keen on seeing the Pope on the Wednesday could you do both?

are all the questions on florence as it said aboutbthe train to civetevechia. iam doing cruise to rome i april arriving there on 1st may i found it cheaper to go by train from port to rome do all ships do tranfers or how much is a taxi to the train stn. as i'm goinbg again to rome on10th may and gerytting back on 13thn i nreed tom sort out the cheapest way of getting from the port to rome

dave

The cheapest way is to find people to share a ride with a private driver. I don't recall what a taxi is, but it's probably close to $100 USD.

Taking the train is cheap ... about 9.50 Euro. But it's a good distance from the Civitavecchia train station to the ship. We've walked it ... but without luggage. It would be very cumbersome to schlep your luggage all that way.

Unfortunately, the driver that was recommended by dsawyer, allessandro camalilli, is booked. Anyone else have a driver that they can recommend for 4 people from the ship in Livorno to Florence and back at the end of the day. We don't need a guide in Florence. Just transfers.

Archived