Was Belieze port doing random testing of cruise passengers?

AtSeaWithChris

2 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

I'm not disagreeing, but laws just don't support doing more than that. Carnival can only enforce quarantine while at sea. Once you are in port, they cannot control where you quarantine. Even local regulations only dictate what you can and cannot do while in their jurisdiction, they can't keep you from leaving it.

Actually, governments at all levels do have enforcement power. I looked it up since we last spoke because I was curious. It just does not make sense to say someone requires quarantine and then just shrug it off if they choose not to comply.

We have not seen the federal government enforce quarantine since the Spanish flu. States and local governments can also enforce quarantine for some diseases, but it is rarely necessary. Maybe we have come to think they can’t only because they have  not except in rare instances.

I expect that they would at least instruct and follow up. “Being free to do as you please” does not sound like a plan to control spread of a disease from a known carrier.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bdever said:

And they were only in quarantine 1 night because they chose not to report symptoms or test until day 6 when symptoms appeared on day 4 while the ship was in Roatan. 

The sad truth is it is probably not so uncommon for a symptomatic person to wait days to report/test (if at all) to avoid getting taken off the ship in a foreign port. In the meantime, other passengers are at risk.

It's also not so uncommon for a symptomatic person to test negative in the first hours of having symptoms, therefore giving them a false sense of "I'm okay, I tested negative". Did she wait too long to be tested? Maybe. They did self-quarantine for 24 hours before she was tested. Only she knows how she felt and if she did the right thing or not.

2 minutes ago, Babr said:

Actually, governments at all levels do have enforcement power. I looked it up since we last spoke because I was curious. It just does not make sense to say someone requires quarantine and then just shrug it off if they choose not to comply.

We have not seen the federal government enforce quarantine since the Spanish flu. States and local governments can also enforce quarantine for some diseases, but it is rarely necessary. Maybe we have come to think they can’t only because they have  not except in rare instances.

I expect that they would at least instruct and follow up. “Being free to do as you please” does not sound like a plan to control spread of a disease from a known carrier.

Governments can have enforcement power but many areas don't have laws allowing it. I know that Florida and Texas both cannot enforce mandatory quarantine without changing their existing laws.

In both states there can be significant fines associated with violating quarantine, but forcible confinement isn't an option in either.

4 minutes ago, Babr said:

I'm guessing Carnival had knowledge of the plans of the passengers.

And CVS, who administered my positive covid test, did not "follow up" to make sure I was quarantining. The instructions amounted to: see a doctor if you feel like you need to - quarantine for 10 days or until you're symptom free for 48 hours. No "follow up" from my county health department, the state health department or the CDC. 

4 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

It's also not so uncommon for a symptomatic person to test negative in the first hours of having symptoms, therefore giving them a false sense of "I'm okay, I tested negative". Did she wait too long to be tested? Maybe. They did self-quarantine for 24 hours before she was tested. Only she knows how she felt and if she did the right thing or not.

Oh, you mean the 24 hour self imposed quarantine when she went outside to get some fresh air and he went out to get them breakfast burritos? Okay 👌 

6 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

I don't care as much what they want... and I have a balcony 😉

First rule of getting quarantined, don't talk about getting quarantined. 

Also, they will probably move you to a different room in a wing where the ventilation has been modified to use outside air instead of recirculated air and/or uses better filtering.  They will likely offer to split you up from any travel companions who tested negative.  This is probably going to be on deck 1 or 2.

Edited by arkaine23

5 minutes ago, Babr said:

Well, we don't have people falling over dead in the streets or blood washing through the ditches or little Johnny isn't seeing people laying dead in the street on the way to school so there really isn't a need for enforced public quarantine. If you need to convince people to be scared then maybe it isn't all what some people say. DON'T get me wrong, I am not saying there isn't a pandemic but there is a lot of convincing still needed for some people.

1 minute ago, bdever said:

Oh, you mean the 24 hour self imposed quarantine when she went outside to get some fresh air and he went out to get them breakfast burritos? Okay 👌 

No, I meant the day that they ordered room service all day long and filmed it. He went out on disembark day for the burritos. And I didn't say that I agreed with it or not - they have to decide that for themselves.

5 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

Well, we don't have people falling over dead in the streets or blood washing through the ditches or little Johnny isn't seeing people laying dead in the street on the way to school so there really isn't a need for enforced public quarantine. If you need to convince people to be scared then maybe it isn't all what some people say. DON'T get me wrong, I am not saying there isn't a pandemic but there is a lot of convincing still needed for some people.

There is definitely a wide gap between Covid-19 and cult classic zombie apocalypse virus or Captain Tripps.

Edited by arkaine23
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, arkaine23 said:

First rule of getting quarantined, is they will probably move you to a different room in a wing where the room's ventilation has been modified to use outside air instead of recirculated air and/or uses better filtering.  They will likely offer to split you up from any travel companions who tested negative.  This is probably going to be on deck 1 or 2.

Exactly what happened on Mardi Gras - except they let them stay together since it was only for 1 night and they were on deck 5.

3 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

Governments can have enforcement power but many areas don't have laws allowing it. I know that Florida and Texas both cannot enforce mandatory quarantine without changing their existing laws.

In both states there can be significant fines associated with violating quarantine, but forcible confinement isn't an option in either.

Let's hope it does not come to that. How about just some coordination of effort between the cruise lines, the port city’s health department, and the home city’s health department just so people know what is expected of them and then follow up. That should be enough. 

However, we have seen the result of depending on personal responsibility so highly touted by Texas and Florida

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

I'm guessing Carnival had knowledge of the plans of the passengers.

And CVS, who administered my positive covid test, did not "follow up" to make sure I was quarantining. The instructions amounted to: see a doctor if you feel like you need to - quarantine for 10 days or until you're symptom free for 48 hours. No "follow up" from my county health department, the state health department or the CDC. 

They probably just reported it to the county or state health department only and also to the federal government for payment..

@Brew12 to answer your question because it is valid, you most likely would not get reimbursed for Cheers if in quarantine with an alcoholic beverage block and Carnival’s reasoning would be that you would still be able to use it for unlimited non-alcoholic beverages. However, if they are feeling generous and sorry for you they might agree to prorate your Cheers package the number of days you were in quarantine. 

4 minutes ago, bdever said:

you most likely would not get reimbursed for Cheers if in quarantine with an alcoholic beverage block and Carnival’s reasoning would be that you would still be able to use it for unlimited non-alcoholic beverages

Not if quarantined or just with room service. Cheers is not able to be used with Room service 

1 hour ago, Babr said:

There were reports of 26 positive crew and 1 passenger. I never heard what became of the passenger. I’m thinking the story you are referring to would make the evening news if it were true. 

This is a small number of cases.

2 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

Not if quarantined or just with room service. Cheers is not able to be used with Room service 

Yikes 😬 so there is your answer @Brew12 beg Carnival to prorate your Cheers package if quarantined but they have no obligation to do so and I really would be surprised if they did being that in writing they only agree to proration of the cruise ticket price for days in quarantine.