What's the food like on Grandeur

REGINA

First RCCL trip. Is there anywhere to have a peep at a sample menu for dinner.

On CArnival there is such a selection for lunch,,,,the New York Deli, Chinese, American, etc. What does RCCL offer.

R

Just off 2-11-06. Coffee hit and miss, first night entrees in Great Gatsby hit and miss. Poolside BBQ's, gala buffet good. Ate some breakfasts in Windjammer and Gatsby. All dinners were in Gatsby. Overall, I'd rate it a B- or C+. Individual tastes vary so what I chose may not appeal to you. You have a choice of 3 main entrees or 3 alternative entrees. There is usually 2 or 3 appetizers to chose from as well. Same for desserts, note**DO NOT ORDER THE APPLE PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!** This is the time to try dishes you wouldn't cook for yourself. I found out by cruising that I like Escargots! If you don't like something they'll bring you something else. My sister did that for lunch in Gatsby, she ordered the BBQ ribs and when the waiter saw she wasn't eating them, asked her why (too tough) and he brought her something else.

I was on Grandeur in August. We mostly ate in the Windjammer and my mom and I both really enjoyed the food. It was nice to be able to sample everything and get how much you want, when you want. The juices were delicious! I am not a coffee drinker, but mom enjoyed hers. Breakfast was very nice, with a good selection of danishes, donuts, cereals, oatmeal, pancakes, waffles, etc. There was also an omelette station where you could get fresh-made omelettes to order.

We ate dinner in the dining room twice and the food was very good both times. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food as well as the choices.

Food was good on the Grandeur. Not fantastic, everybodys tastes are so different though. My husband and I preferred the food in the Windjammer over the main dining room. In the main my husband who likes his steak meadium well, found them to always be very bloody, when he ordered them well done they were tough. Windjammer had a great variety, although it was the same most of the cruise. It was good. It all comes down to personal taste.

We were on the Grandeur Jan 28 with 2 friends. We have been on over 25 cruises and we all agreed this was some of the best food ever. Very good selection and alternate menu.A mother and daughter shared our table and they felt the same.We don't go to the Windjammer for dinner as we like to sit down and be waited on. Deserts were excellant, sugar free, the best as were the soups. The lobster tails were good sized, the only bad part was they were not served with real butter, it was some sort of orange colored substitute and tasted terrible, I sort of wiped it off and used plain lemon. That was the only complaint. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Food was good on the Grandeur. Not fantastic, everybodys tastes are so different though. My husband and I preferred the food in the Windjammer over the main dining room. In the main my husband who likes his steak meadium well, found them to always be very bloody, when he ordered them well done they were tough. Windjammer had a great variety, although it was the same most of the cruise. It was good. It all comes down to personal taste.

Diane,

It's so funny that you mention steak and it's doneness. Our first cruise was on X and I ordered the steak one night. I like mine VERY rare and when it came out it was closer to medium well, but it was tasty and I ate as much as I wanted. Our waiter asked me why I didn't eat more and I mentioned that it was a little overdone for my liking. Well, he proceeded to give me a good-humored lecture on not eating something that wasn't to my taste. The next night I ordered steak again (must not have liked the other choices I guess) and our waiter stood there waiting for me to cut into it and HE TOOK IT BACK because HE felt it was to done!!! That is one of my favorite memories of cruising!

Just interesting how everyone does have a different view on things, one man's undercooked steak is another woman's dream :D

Happy cruising!!

Here is what I can remember from last August.

We ate our dinner in the Great Gatsby every night. Only ate breakfast in there one morning; never ate lunch there. We liked eating in the Windjammer because we could get right back out onto the deck with our food and enjoy the music, sun, ocean view, breeze, etc., without having to take our bathing suits off. We covered up and put our sandals on and breezed right in.

Now...you asked for menus. I'll do my best here...

Breakfast: Fresh pineapple every morning, assorted juices (including papaya), assorted fruits, breakfast meats, eggs, cold cereals, muffins, danish, oatmeal (nuts and raisins and brown sugar on the side), breads

Lunch: An incredible multigrain bread loaded with sunflower seeds, beautiful caesar salad, other green salads, egg salad, all the normal salad bar garnishings, cheeses, fish, desserts like cheesecake (regular AND sugar-free), pies, mousse, jello, cookies, tortes, cream puffs, cheeses

Dinner: Every night, salmon and steak are offered as is salad and a baked potato. One night, crab cakes were the appetizer. There are always different sorts of soups, some of which are cold, like a cold fruit soup. Escargot. Shrimp cocktail. Lobster tails (as many as you want). Same desserts as in the Windjammer with the exception of Cherries Jubilee and Bananas Foster. There are also breads that your server will offer you. One that I remember was called Savory Bites. They were little triangle scones and were great. I can't remember the exact menus but everything was good, and you can order as much as you want. I was low carbing for most of the cruise and so, I'm not very helpful to you as far as the starch dishes go. If you ever see the flourless chocolate cake, go for it!

Archived