Cruise insurance that covers COVID - return home

jk928

We are going on the Carnival Mardi Gras in 2 weeks. Could you recommend an insurance that will pay to get you back home if you get kicked off the ship at a port of call due to a positive COVID test? We are vaccinated, but concerned if we get COVID while traveling. Also, would consider annual insurance as we travel at least twice per year.

we purchased Carnival insurance, but I have heard it doesn’t cover you getting back home from one of the islands.

2 hours ago, jk928 said:

We are going on the Carnival Mardi Gras in 2 weeks. Could you recommend an insurance that will pay to get you back home if you get kicked off the ship at a port of call due to a positive COVID test? We are vaccinated, but concerned if we get COVID while traveling. Also, would consider annual insurance as we travel at least twice per year.

we purchased Carnival insurance, but I have heard it doesn’t cover you getting back home from one of the islands.

I think you are mistaken about the Carnival insurance. If your trip is cut short for any reason, you are covered by trip interruption which will reimburse you for unused days of your trip and expenses to get home.

I have not heard of anyone being disembarked because they tested positive. I have heard of people being quarantined on board in specially equipped cabins.

I don’t think it is likely that you would be disembarked during the trip; but if you flew to the port, you might be quarantined in a local hotel until you could test negative and fly home. Once again this is covered under the trip interruption clause of your insurance. It just might not be enough to cover all your expenses because it does have a dollar limit, usually 150% of the cost of your trip. Check your policy to see.

As for annual plans, be aware that not all of them cover cancellation if that is important to you. They are primarily medical and evacuation plans. If you are still interested, look into Allianz or GeoBlue. Not all plans are offered in every state so you’ll need to do some research.

There is no need to buy anything else now since you already have the Carnival insurance. It should be entirely adequate for your trip.

Now that I think about it, you may have confused insurance with the Covid assistance plans offered by other cruise lines. Those plans are part of port agreements and offer services in addition to travel insurance. Royal Caribbean has flown people who tested positive in chartered jets, but no insurance you can buy will charter a jet just because you test positive.

Carnival has no assistance plan to offer financial aid beyond FCC. Maybe that is why you thought you’d be stranded. Carnival cruise line  is separate from the insurance you buy under their name. It is underwritten by a major insurer and will pay claims according to the terms of the policy. As I said in the first post, if your trip is interrupted, you are covered up to the defined limits, but Klfrodo added a very important piece of information. Be prepared to pay and file for reimbursement later. 

• Thanks 1