Britannia photo review by a P&O newbie

TheGinBoy

11 hours ago, TheGinBoy said:

You have to join the virtual queue via the MyHoliday app/web page. 

You can do this from anywhere on the ship using your phone. If you want to choose the buffet for breakfast (though I’d recommend the MDR) you’d go onto the app, dining choices, and press join queue. I’d recommend doing this as you get ready to head out - they’ll hold your table for 15 mins after you’ve been called. 

Good advice. We have had 2 staycation cruises on Britannia. Did you and Craig both use the app?. During the first one we found that the 'App' worked fine on the wife's iPhone, but not on my android. Second cruise we used her phone. That meant that to show up on the account, she had to pay for everything🤣.

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Good advice. We have had 2 staycation cruises on Britannia. Did you and Craig both use the app?. During the first one we found that the 'App' worked fine on the wife's iPhone, but not on my android. Second cruise we used her phone. That meant that to show up on the account, she had to pay for everything🤣.

We both used the "app" on our iPhones. The weird thing was that sometimes Craig could see and book restaurants, but when I looked none showed up as available - and at other times vice versa. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason. Logging out and in *sometimes* helped.

• Thanks 1

Fab review, Tom, and amazing photos. So pleased you both got to enjoy the Epicurean (and the snowcrab starter!) and the Glasshouse (ah yes, those scallops!): without proper foodie venues it is just like an indifferent pub chain for food.

And I love your comment about avoiding over-the-top patriotism and flag waving: on our previous cruise a few years ago we had the “yikes it really is Pontins at sea” thought. But mercifully it was a tiny part of the cruise and so many other wonderful elements of the experience 

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheGinBoy said:

We both used the "app" on our iPhones. The weird thing was that sometimes Craig could see and book restaurants, but when I looked none showed up as available - and at other times vice versa. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason. Logging out and in *sometimes* helped.

Thanks. We are on Iona in a couple of weeks, so third time lucky. We have always enjoyed Epicurean and did last time, but not preparing the Crepes at your table took something away from the experience. Again we will give it another try next time. Nice review, by the way.🤣

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Camberley said:

Fab review, Tom, and amazing photos. So pleased you both got to enjoy the Epicurean (and the snowcrab starter!) and the Glasshouse (ah yes, those scallops!): without proper foodie venues it is just like an indifferent pub chain for food.

And I love your comment about avoiding over-the-top patriotism and flag waving: on our previous cruise a few years ago we had the “yikes it really is Pontins at sea” thought. Just dreadful! But mercifully it was a tiny part of the cruise - and how refreshing (for us, at least) not to have that since cruises returned. 

Singing rule Britannia on a ship called Britannia doesn't seem too inappropriate.🤣

You had to use the app to go the buffet on Brittania? That's news to me - I just turned up, got my plates etc and just asked for whatever food I wanted from the selection available. Drinks (tea/coffee etc) was even self service - no-one serving there. I certianly wasn't turned back at any time from the buffet. Only restriction I faced was on disembarkation day when I was directed to the opposite side I usually go to.

Of course MDRs & SDs were completely different, you had to book beforehand.

Excellent review, thank you, your observations and opinions would very much match ours. (HMS Brexit - that is priceless!!) We are a gay couple in our 50's and although P&O is not our favourite line we have had many lovely cruises with them and have another one booked. Like you we just avoid the flag waving!!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, PJL1973 said:

You had to use the app to go the buffet on Brittania? That's news to me - I just turned up, got my plates etc and just asked for whatever food I wanted from the selection available. Drinks (tea/coffee etc) was even self service - no-one serving there. I certianly wasn't turned back at any time from the buffet. Only restriction I faced was on disembarkation day when I was directed to the opposite side I usually go to.

Of course MDRs & SDs were completely different, you had to book beforehand.

On our last Britannia cruise a couple of weeks ago, you helped yourself to drinks in the buffet.