My Time Solo Dining

matt1119

Go to your roll calls.  We have solo cruisers on our December Horizon cruise and I've invited them to join my DH, DS and I at dining venues like Guy's BBQ and Jiji's and also some port activities, in which they are free to do their own thing,  but they do require taxi rides, which can be shared with us - or be very expensive for a single rider.  A lot of people are skittish as hell with strangers right now.  Find people like me who aren't skittish on your role calls and use them as a resource.  

Taking the time to have coffee, or dinner, with someone traveling solo shouldn't be considered an imposition,  it is CLEARLY an OPPORTUNITY.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jacble1214 said:

I am wondering this also.  I'm going solo and like the idea of MTD but don't want to sit alone every night.

I just sailed solo on the Miracle and had MTD. When I checked in on the HUB app, there was a spot to check if I wanted to be seated with others. I did this every time and enjoyed some great company! 

22 minutes ago, txyellowrose said:

I just sailed solo on the Miracle and had MTD. When I checked in on the HUB app, there was a spot to check if I wanted to be seated with others. I did this every time and enjoyed some great company! 

Good to know.  Thanks.

51 minutes ago, txyellowrose said:

I am currently on the Miracle and yes, there is a place on the HUB app to indicate that you want a shared table. At breakfast the first morning I preferred a table for one. When I got to the dining room I was told there would be a wait of 30-40 minutes for a private table.  Couples wanting a table for 2 were told the same thing. I finally agreed to a shared table. As I was being shown to my table I noticed several empty 2-tops and asked why they weren't seating people there. They said they weren't using those tables right now. I think shared tables are easier for them when it's busy. No problem at dinner getting a private table but I go pretty early. 

Edited by nwcruiselover

1 hour ago, matt1119 said:

Thanks everyone for the replies. It's much appreciated. I can go either way about eating solo or with a group, but it's good to know both are an option.

Your Time Dining on Carnival works well for me. Sometimes I bring a small book to read in between people watching and dining when I travel solo. 

In my experience, the two-person tables are so close together that you're in effect sharing a table anyway, so you can decide how much interaction you want with people sitting next to you, or bring a book or something. It can be awkward when someone at the next table is chatty, especially with the possibility of breakthrough infections and the higher viral load of Delta and the long dining times being reported on some ships now. I kind of wish Carnival would offer MDR room service, for shy solo passengers like me who don't feel comfortable or safe in a crowded dining room now--I used to do that on HAL all the time.