Booking flights

TMW67

How far out do you all book your flights to Tahiti & Bora Bora to snag the best prices?✈️ Any websites better than others to check/ book prices on? We're planning a trip in September 2022 and never been before. 

Thanks!

The interisland flight to Bora Bora would have a set price that is very unlikely to change.  The Air Tahiti schedule does change a couple of times each year but for flights to Bora Bora (this is their most common route) any changes should be very minor (an hour either way, not a date change).  If you are comfortable in putting up the $$ in this COVID era  (with the hope we are back to a new normal next September) I would personally purchase the tickets to Bora Bora in the January-February time frame.

The flights from the US to PPT do have some significant price changes throughout the year.  You probably know that your options are Air France (a few times per week) and Air Tahiti Nui (daily) from LAX as well as United and French Bee (each a few times per week) from SFO.  Also Hawaiian from HNL to PPT (once or twice a week).  During COVID the only reliable flights have been on Air Tahiti Nui.

So...........Presuming you are willing to put up the $$ and hope COVID is not an issue I would start to look at prices beginning 11 months in advance.  If you are flying economy and can get a price that is less than $1,000 RT that is decent.  If you see a price in the $800 range grab it.  Less than that is a real bargain that has occurred but not frequently.  I would not chose French Bee (personally) at any price.  Also look at when the flights arrive and depart.  Arriving in PPT in the early morning lets you connect to another island within a few hours.  Arriving in the evening requires you to spend the night on Tahiti.  In a similar fashion an early morning departure requires that you spend the prior night on Tahiti.  to maximize your time on other islands try to arrive in the early morning and depart late in the evening.

11 hours ago, Petoonya said:

@LikeToCruise2015

I thought I know my stuff about flights to Tahiti but wow, you covered everything and much, much more!

Thanks so much.

The only thing I wanted to add is that Air Tahiti Nui is going to begin flights SFO-PPT. I pulled up dates for next summer from SFO and goodness, there was ATN.

Direct?  Or via LAX?

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to purchase LAX to PPT as the prices are decent for next August. But if the flight was cancelled due to COVID restrictions I fear my air credit would only be good for one year meaning today 2023. I doubt I could arrange another cruise in so little time. I guess I do as LikeToCruise suggests and wait until next winter to purchase. When you see a decent price it's hard not to jump!

Well, got a happy answer from Air Tahiti Nui. If flights get cancelled due to shut down of FP due to COVID they will offer a full refund or credit till the end of 2023. Not too shabby. Unfortunately my fare went up about $300 over night so I'll have to keep an eye out now.