Wi-Fi quality splendor

Nilel

1 hour ago, JMARINER said:

Why I don't use a vpn on the ship for banking/finaicials.

First. Since all internet traffic form the ship is under the control of Regent and their Satellite data provider, this is not really a public network that just anyone could hack into and steal your data. They keep a log on every person that is online on their system. (I have seen it.) So any hacker would have to be someone on the ship and their activity would be monitored.

Second. Any activity with a bank through an app is already going to have "end-to-end" encryption. So there is almost a zero chance of ant risk here.

Third. All VPN's will dramatically slow down your internet experience just by the nature of how a VPN works. All your traffic, both incoming and out going,  is diverted to a 3rd party site. At home a VPN will, by most estimates; the encryption process adds about 10-15% more data usage. That isn't in a problem when you 50-100 Mgb download speeds. But on a ship, a VPN can often exceed the networks individual users data speed capacity.

J

Your data can be captured without being logged into the ship's wifi.

I run a VPN and it doesn't hinder the performance (which is already so slow that an additional 5.6% loss as measure last time would have much of an impacts). 

I transmit client data that I am under contract with to always use a VPN - so I do and it still works....at 3AM.

1 minute ago, wcsdkqh said:

Somehow, I just can't envision bunch of 70 and 80 year old hackers on board a Regent ship. Of course, I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

There are many people on the ship and many more within reach of the ship when it is docked. Why take a chance when the solution is both easy and cheap?

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I use Bit Defender as well, on all our family's PC's and really like their product, but I've never added their Android product.  Thanks.

Their VPN offers fast service. Well worth the couple bucks/month. 

33 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Good advice in this thread - thanks all!

Learned the hard way as we had a hack of our bank accounts (bank would not release funds….phew!) while on Lake Como. Use VPN 100% of our time now. 

• Like 1

Every time the discussion  topic goes to the Regent Dress Code and Formal Night apparel there are some that state:  "I had to wear a Suit & Tie to work for 50 Yrs, and I'm NOT going to wear one on Vacation!"   

Well, Now I can say, "I have to be on a computer for 60 Hours a week, and I'm NOT going to be in front of one while on Vacation!" 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JMariner 

You are incorrect when you say:

"All VPN's will dramatically slow down your internet experience just by the nature of how a VPN works. "

All internet connections are made up of many individual connections in serries and it is slowest of these that determines the overall speed. Your concept of applying %s to each section is wrong.

I can acheive up and down speeds of well over 50Mb/s using NordVPN. Inserting such into an on-board connection of say 1Mb/s up and 200Kb/s down makes no difference to speed at all.

It does however increase latency, perhaps that is what you are thinking about but even then %s are inappropriate, just straight additions apply.