Viking 1st timer thoughts

boxman52

47 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Wishing you good voyages on Seabourn and your other "luxury" lines.

If you wind up not trying out Viking, that will just mean one more open cabin that we can all book - as they are getting difficult to find in the future!

Seriously though - we've always felt Viking's included drinks were just fine for us - but everyone has their own opinion.  Drinks weren't the thing that made us love Viking.

No kids, no photographers, fewer people, great staff, interesting itineraries, no charges for specialty restaurants (even if they don't have many), a buffet that is more like a restaurant, all balcony rooms, focus on lectures, learning, history and more. . .

But there are so many posts out there that discuss all this!

Here, here!! and no stuffy, phony "Formal" nights.😁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Hey, those pix you posted of you and Judi on P&O all dressed up looked good.🍺

Jim - I used to really enjoy the formal nights, especially when working, as every evening was formal attire, unless on-watch.

Even as a pax, we enjoyed dressing up. Unfortunately, standards have ebbed significantly and formal nights no longer have the same aura. I am probably spoiled, but have fond memories of everyone dressed up, the formal receiving line at the cocktail parties, freely being handed drinks by an abundance of waiters, with an amazing dinner menu and exceptional "Silver Service". After dinner, the evening finished with an amazing show.

Our last Princess Cruise was the 2015 WC and formal attire was considered anything more than shorts, tank top and flip flops, the cocktail parties were reduced to 1, so all pax attended and waiters were scarce. The lucky ones received 1 watered down drink. The menu was at best average and the preparation and quality of the ingredients terrible. 

It was disappointing to see other pax turn up with shorts and flip flops, but that wasn't our primary reason to give up on formal nights. The standards of dress is minor compared to the mainstream lines decimation of formal night standards. Just no ambiance left, at least for us.

We consider formal nights a bygone era and having moved on, now enjoy the more relaxed atmosphere with Viking, but with meals comparible to what I experienced when I worked cruise ships. Might not be "Silver Service", but the service was also excellent.

• Like 4

We feel the same.  We used to enjoy formal nights on QE2 as all but the first and last nights were very formal.  Virtually everyone complied and the codes were enforced.  Now Cunard has "Formal Night" I believe once a week with not too many in real formal wear.  No sense packing all that stuff for one fake night a week.  Like y'all we love the atmosphere on Viking.  Will settle for no ball caps in the restaurants..🍸

• Like 4