Advantages/disadvantages to aft verandahs

poinsettiaplate

On 9/4/2021 at 8:34 AM, poinsettiaplate said:

What are the advantages and disadvantages to aft verandahs in general?

My experience has been in an aft Neptune suite on the Westerdam.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:52 AM, grest said:

it is a long walk to get anywhere.

On 9/4/2021 at 3:45 PM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I liked the views....didn't like the distance from the showroom and other places

The above two posts mirror my view.  My wanting to make better use of the Neptune Lounge was impeded because of the distance involved.  

On 9/4/2021 at 9:20 AM, VMax1700 said:

We found the shimmy unsettling

It was an "odd" feeling.

On 9/4/2021 at 8:58 AM, Hlitner said:

we have often experienced an uncomfortable "shimmy" at the aft of the ship that is likely caused by the movement of the props and cavitation

I was told that these reasons were responsible as well as the direction of the waves hitting the side/stern on the ship.  I did not notice the shimmy all the time.  Southbound in the Caribbean, didn't notice it at all.  Returning to Port Everglades?  Noticed it frequently.  

On 9/4/2021 at 8:58 AM, Hlitner said:

As to the ash issue, we have also experienced that with aft cabins although that has not been a deal breaker for us.  

I had significant soot issues on my veranda.  My cabin steward daily wiped down the railings and all of the furniture on the veranda.  A short time later, one could take a towel and wipe it along the hard services and the white towel would become black.  I decided what chairs and lounge that I would use.  Then, I would take the cushions into the living area of the Suite in order to keep them clean.  Then, when I wanted to use them, I would re-install them and repeat the process.

Is the soot potential a deal breaker for me?  Yes, it is.  I won't spend money on a aft veranda of any category again.  

3 hours ago, Live4cruises said:

Put me down in the "love aft cabins" column.  

I appreciate the fact that I'm on a ship in the ocean, and am happy to be reminded of that by the motion and the rhythmic creaking as the ship moves through the water, and I love being rocked to sleep.  I find the sight and sound of the prop wash soothing and maybe a little hypnotic.  If I'm being more practical and less romantic, I also like being out of the wind.

My countdown says 192 days until I get to reaffirm all of this!

That about sums it up for us... our countdown is 173 days, we have a little less waiting.. 😎

DSCF2389.JPG

• Like 1