The pre-travel "CYA" COVID-19 testing... what some of our roll call group are doing

Shellbelle28

There has been a lot of conversation on the roll call for the 10/24/21 sailing of the Bliss about testing (that meets NCL's standards of time and identity verification) done before traveling to the port to go through NCL's pre-boarding testing. Those in larger urban areas are fortunate to have good options, but rural and smaller suburb dwellers have limited options. In my town, most testing locations are only doing tests for people with symptoms or who've had exposure. The only places that will do testing for travel are Walgreens and Rite Aid and they don't promise how fast results will be or that there will be appointments available when you need them for your travel timeline.

A couple of our roll call members have purchased Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag At-Home Test Kit from Emed.com. This kit lets you do documented tests with verified identity and supervision by a certified tester online from your home by video call. The results are available in Abbot's app called Navica and you also get a PDF result document by email. (I'm hoping it has a QR code that I can scan into my Common Pass app so I'll have the test and my vaccine documentation in a single app!)

This has relieved a ton of concern I've had about the timing and availability of a test 72 hours (or potentially 48 hours) prior to the testing by NCL at the port. We've got cruise insurance, but who wants to fly somewhere and then find out you can't go on the cruise.

This YouTube channel also had a great video of the entire test process. 

Edited by Shellbelle28
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Even though I'm in a suburban area with lots of pharmacies (and I've used my county clinic for COVID PCR tests in the past) you're right.  Getting an appointment could be a hassle.

Only issue is that eMed site seems to sell 6 packs of the tests for $150.  I only need one 🙂

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

Even though I'm in a suburban area with lots of pharmacies (and I've used my county clinic for COVID PCR tests in the past) you're right.  Getting an appointment could be a hassle.

Only issue is that eMed site seems to sell 6 packs of the tests for $150.  I only need one 🙂

They let you register up to three users for the six tests. They want each person to have two, so in case of a positive result a retest can be done. There is another vendor, Optum, that sells then in a two unit pack. It's the same test provider, just different prescribing entity for the kit. 

Edited by Shellbelle28
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

There has been a lot of conversation on the roll call for the 10/24/21 sailing of the Bliss about testing (that meets NCL's standards of time and identity verification) done before traveling to the port to go through NCL's pre-boarding testing. Those in larger urban areas are fortunate to have good options, but rural and smaller suburb dwellers have limited options. In my town, most testing locations are only doing tests for people with symptoms or who've had exposure. The only places that will do testing for travel are Walgreens and Rite Aid and they don't promise how fast results will be or that there will be appointments available when you need them for your travel timeline.

A couple of our roll call members have purchased Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag At-Home Test Kit from Emed.com. This kit lets you do documented tests with verified identity and supervision by a certified tester online from your home by video call. The results are available in Abbot's app called Navica and you also get a PDF result document by email. (I'm hoping it has a QR code that I can scan into my Common Pass app so I'll have the test and my vaccine documentation in a single app!)

This has relieved a ton of concern I've had about the timing and availability of a test 72 hours (or potentially 48 hours) prior to the testing by NCL at the port. We've got cruise insurance, but who wants to fly somewhere and then find out you can't go on the cruise.

I just received my 6-pack of test kits from EMed and I was alarmed by the 11/10/21 expiration date on the boxes, but learned that the FDA has granted an additional four months on the end dates (https://www.emed.com/hubfs/EUA-abbott-binaxNOW-Rev-2021-04-06.pdf?hsLang=en). So glad that Jay & Dee made that video, now I have have to find 4 more cruises to book that sail before March 10 😂 … or sell a couple unopened tests. Best of luck on your test results!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, SeaBrz said:

I just received my 6-pack of test kits from EMed and I was alarmed by the 11/10/21 expiration date on the boxes, but learned that the FDA has granted an additional four months on the end dates (https://www.emed.com/hubfs/EUA-abbott-binaxNOW-Rev-2021-04-06.pdf?hsLang=en). So glad that Jay & Dee made that video, now I have have to find 4 more cruises to book that sail before March 10 😂 … or sell a couple unopened tests. Best of luck on your test results!

I just downloaded the Navica app to my phone to get my account ready to go. Beware, if you are on Android, it has problems creating user accounts. The workaround is to set up your account on the My Navica website and once you have set your user name and password there, you can go to the app and log in with no problem. 

• Like 1

Here's another YouTube video of someone taking the BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag At-Home Test. This one shows a couple of things that can go wrong during the test which I thought was really helpful. There was a lot of "point your camera at this thing, now point it at that, now show your ID" so I could see it being difficult on a laptop with a built-in camera. Then, he DROPPED the test card on the floor while he was opening the swab and the tester made him throw the whole thing out and start with a new box. So that's one reason why you can't just buy one! He didn't have any wait time at all to get into a test session, so that's great to see too. 

• Like 2

On 9/9/2021 at 8:11 PM, phillygwm said:

If you go to Royal’s website and follow the link for the Healthy Sail Panel, there is a link for the tests. They have a supplier that has a 3 pk for $69 and 4 pk for $99.  It’s the same proctored test, BinaxNow.  It doesn’t seem to require that you are on a Royal sailing.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 6:07 PM, Shellbelle28 said:

Maybe I missed something here, but are these tests approved by NCL? And if so, are they approved by the Italy for a NCL Cruise out of Rome?

12 minutes ago, anyman said:

Maybe I missed something here, but are these tests approved by NCL? And if so, are they approved by the Italy for a NCL Cruise out of Rome?

NCL doesn't provide any recommendations of which test to use, they just say "Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with applicable expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by a guest's travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours prior to their sail date. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of sail date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible." This is the purpose I'm using this test for. 

Many airlines are partnering with Emed.com for international travel testing, but you should do your own research to be sure. 

Edited by Shellbelle28

3 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

NCL doesn't provide any recommendations of which test to use, they just say "Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with applicable expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by a guest's travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours prior to their sail date. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of sail date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible." This is the purpose I'm using this test for. 

Many airlines are partnering with Emed.com for international travel testing, but you should do your own research to be sure. 

So is the home test kits an antigen test, or PCR test?

Which destinations are you guys using this test for?  If the test is an antigen test - then it's not acceptable for Bermuda, right?  On Bermuda's site it says "The test result must state the words “PCR” i.e. RT-PCR, Rapid PCR. Any isothermal amplification method will NOT be accepted."

I live in a rural area and am having a hard time finding a place that does the PCR test, guarantees 24 hr results so that I can upload to Bermuda's sight for a TA in time for approval.  Anyone else in this situation?

1 hour ago, Katekins13 said:

Which destinations are you guys using this test for?  If the test is an antigen test - then it's not acceptable for Bermuda, right?  On Bermuda's site it says "The test result must state the words “PCR” i.e. RT-PCR, Rapid PCR. Any isothermal amplification method will NOT be accepted."

I live in a rural area and am having a hard time finding a place that does the PCR test, guarantees 24 hr results so that I can upload to Bermuda's sight for a TA in time for approval.  Anyone else in this situation?

Our cruise is to Mexico, so all we need it for is to meet NCL's policy (below) for assistance should we test positive at boarding. 

"Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with applicable expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by a guest's travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours prior to their sail date. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of sail date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible."

3 hours ago, Katekins13 said:

There is supposed to be an at home test PCR available from the Bermuda Government (and I think Costco)  that Bermuda will accept for the travel authorization.  I read about on another thread, but haven't heard of anyone using it.

• September 10, 2007
  • Bermuda

I did some further digging in our Bermuda Government Travel Authorization ... and came across THIS ...

COVID-19 Testing (azova.com)

I sure hope this will help you ....

Please let me know.

This link came from this page: Travel Testing Frequently Asked Questions | Government of Bermuda (www.gov.bm)

Here's the post from I believe member bluesea777

22 hours ago, Katekins13 said:

I live in a small town - our nearest CVS is 50 miles away.  They allow us to schedule a PCR test for travel purposes but can not guarantee a 48 result.  We are considering a rapid but they do not offer rapid testing.  I am going to call our local clinic and see what they can offer but I just don't see us receiving PCR results before our flight to Miami.  

On 9/11/2021 at 8:01 PM, Shellbelle28 said:

We are just starting to consider a Nov 24 Getaway Cruise, we are considering flying into Athens on the 22nd or 23rd. When they say 72hrs prior to sail, I think the ship has a sail time of 6pm so ami understanding correctly the earliest we can have our CoVid test is 6pm the 21st? I think our flight will depart Florida prior to 6pm, so I wonder if we should do one test in Florida, before departure to ensure we are negative, then either do another test where we have a layover or as soon as we get to Athens?

29 minutes ago, Longsx3 said:

We are just starting to consider a Nov 24 Getaway Cruise, we are considering flying into Athens on the 22nd or 23rd. When they say 72hrs prior to sail, I think the ship has a sail time of 6pm so ami understanding correctly the earliest we can have our CoVid test is 6pm the 21st? I think our flight will depart Florida prior to 6pm, so I wonder if we should do one test in Florida, before departure to ensure we are negative, then either do another test where we have a layover or as soon as we get to Athens?

It does not say 72 hours before you embark, it says 72 hours before your sail date.

Edited by goodmanl1975
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Longsx3 said:

My information is only about cruises with US departures as far as when and what and why.

For European cruises, you should have more detailed information from NCL, or barring that, from the destination port countries. DO NOT rely on this post! 

On 9/13/2021 at 8:00 AM, TSUmom said:

I live in a small town - our nearest CVS is 50 miles away.  They allow us to schedule a PCR test for travel purposes but can not guarantee a 48 result.  We are considering a rapid but they do not offer rapid testing.  I am going to call our local clinic and see what they can offer but I just don't see us receiving PCR results before our flight to Miami.  

You're correct.  The standard PCR tests that CVS and others offer -- and I've had close to 10 of them since this began -- may or may not get results back to you in time.  Mine have ranged from 36 hours to 3 weeks, so it's a coin flip.  I stopped using CVS and go to my county testing site because it's better run and results are faster.  But neither use Rapid PCR.

I'd suggest googling Rapid PCR and your ZIP code.  It may come back with some urgent care places etc. that offer the faster test.