Help With Historical Sites In St. Thomas

elou

Hello elou,

You can access the 99 steps from the bottom or the top; there is a road on each end. Fort Christian is being rennovated so it is closed right now. You can find information on the historical sites in Charlotte Amalie with pictures at http://www.*****/stthomas/attractions_stt/attractions_town.php.

--Islander

http://www.*****

The steps are shallow, so it's an easy uphill climb. You can always stop and rest on your way up, and there's a guy at the top of the stairs waiting to sell you water and other beverages. Gorgeous view of the harbor from there, though access to the historic properties requires taking the tour.

There's another "museum" on Govt Hill down from 99 Steps - The Seven Arches museum. It's a restored tradesman's (I think) home with outdoor oven, etc. I think admission charge is $5.

The Lutheran Church and the Synagogue are usually open to the public, and are historic properties. So is the Camille Pissaro building on Main Street.

In Royal Dane mall, there's a self-guided walking "tour" which though it sounds like nothing, is really kind of interesting. Going through the alleys in Royal Dane Mall you'll see plaques embedded in the walls that give history of St Thomas. There's some kind of sundial there that did something years ago (obviously I've forgotten it's claim to fame!). The best time to do any of these historic tours is early in the morning, because it's hard to enjoy them when it's crowded.

Archived