Sharing wifi

Bgwest

I'm almost certain this has been discussed but darned if I can find it. Apologies for treading old ground.

Wife and I have a long cruise booked and are researching onboard wifi options. If we buy the "one device" plan, will we be able to share the plan by one of us of logging off and letting the other log on and switching back and forth a few times a day?

If it matters, we will be on the Musica. 

Edited by Bgwest

A company can use several methods for limiting access to its wifi, but I believe prior posters have said that MSC uses the device's MAC address (which is unique to each device).  So, the first device that is registered is the only device the wifi router will recognize/allow.

I suppose one could try to "spoof" the MAC address on the second device to match the first, but I would not recommend it.  Also, one might be able to try creating a personal wifi "hotspot" with one device and then let the second one go through the first one, but the devices would need to be close enough to get reliable service (and maybe anyone else's device that is roaming will also try to connect if it is not secure) which will bog it down.

If you can not share the one device and both of you need access during the trip, I would suggest you just bite the bullet and pay for 2 devices... LOL

Some other cruise lines do it by IP reservation and allow you to log off one device (release your reservation) and login to another. So it is one device at a time. However, MSC locks it to one device. Jay (ShipLife on YouTube) talked about this in a Meraviglia review post this week. 

A workaround could be possible  but I don’t know what it would be. iOS devices don’t expose a real MAC address, so I don’t think it could be tied to that. 

This is interesting because I just posted a similar question. Someone on Youtube just recently complained because the only way they could use two devices with one plan was to go to the connection center and have them switch every time he wanted to go from his phone to pc and back. MSC allowed this but it's not something I would want to do every time I switched. 

I would say two people, two devices, two plans. If only switching on occasion you may be able to ask services but seems like a pain to me.

8 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

Two people, one 2 device plan is cheaper, if you do not need your own MSC app.

Doesn't work if you have 2 different names in the app

This sounds like it may be very helpful and useful information. Would you please elaborate? Guess I'm just a bit dense because I don't understand exactly what you are saying. 

I did notice on their website different purchase options. Is this what you are referring to?

By that I mean, looking at the images copied below from the internet portion of their website, I appears that the first option would cost me $400 for two devices but the second option "only" $319.50 for the same two devices. 

In both of the options, I can select a purchase for each individual passenger. If I select the second option and choose ONLY me, then does that mean I have two logons available to me and that my wife can use the second one for her iphone?

Sorry to be so dense about all of this but I'm far from "techie qualified"!

Thanks!!!

INTERNET

B1POSBU.jpg sBrowse - 1 Device
  • Browse - 1 Device
  • Price:$ 199.75 Per person

B2POSBU.jpg  
  • Browse - 2 Devices
  • Price:$ 319.50 Per person

56 minutes ago, MarkusToe said:

Sorry for beiing unclear. 

If you choose the one person 2 device option, you have the same login twice. 

As example 2 login for maxmuster, not one for max and one for mex

This is what is included in the Labor Day sale as well as the All In:

Wi-Fi Package: Browse Cruise Internet pkg: Unlimited 24-hour access, up to 2 devices. 

So is that for 2 people?

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

I’m collectively hearing that it is simply not possible to buy and share a 1 device plan between my wife’s iPhone and mine. 

I've not seen any reports of success doing so. Someone mentioned making the iPhone the one device and then enabling it as a personal hotspot to service the other. But a hotspot uses cellular data on the phone to create a wi-fi hotspot, and as far as I know, cannot use wi-fi to provide wi-fi.

I don't know how MSC is locking to one device. I don't think it can be browser cookies and I don't think it can be MAC address.

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

I’m collectively hearing that it is simply not possible to buy and share a 1 device plan between my wife’s iPhone and mine. 

Is this correct?

Just got off Seashore you are correct the 1 device plan is locked to the first device you log on and register.  You cannot use it for any other device.  On other cruise lines it is possible to use 2 different devices as long as not logged on at same time.  This is not possible on MSC. 

• Like 1

Just to clarify a few points according to my personal experience last week aboard the MSC Seaside.

1) The 2 devices plan is based on a common account/name. 
2) When a device is successfully connected, it is for ever. You cannot delete some devices to connect new ones. That means that if you connect your iPhone and iPad with the 2 devices plan, it is not possible to connect any new unknown device. (For experts: the hotspot only allows 2 MAC address in total, which cannot be changed then). 
3) If you have an android device (important: it is not possible on iPhone), you can share the internet connection to more devices, without needing to buy a “bigger” plan. You can do that easily in the settings of the android phone. 
4) By using a VPN, you will be able to watch videos/streaming without any restriction, even with the “Browse” package. 
5) For experts: On Seaside, my average download speed was 1.5Mbps, and never more than 2Mbps. 

Kind regards 

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, LeCommandant said:

Just to clarify a few points according to my personal experience last week aboard the MSC Seaside.

….

4) By using a VPN, you will be able to watch videos/streaming without any restriction, even with the “Browse” package. 

Excellent advice! I’m particularly interested in this VPN possibility. I’m sailing MSC next week with my iPhone and iPad. The iPad is WiFi-only, but I use both behind the same VPN account (Nord, if that matters). I only purchased the one-device Premium package thinking I could hot-spot, but you answered that 😊. Now I’m intrigued with how MSC, stingy about more than one MAC id, handles a VPN wall … have they just not got around to figuring out how to block it? Apologies, OP, for jumping in here, but thanks for starting a very helpful conversation.

14 hours ago, SeaBrz said:

Excellent advice! I’m particularly interested in this VPN possibility. I’m sailing MSC next week with my iPhone and iPad. The iPad is WiFi-only, but I use both behind the same VPN account (Nord, if that matters). I only purchased the one-device Premium package thinking I could hot-spot, but you answered that 😊. Now I’m intrigued with how MSC, stingy about more than one MAC id, handles a VPN wall … have they just not got around to figuring out how to block it? Apologies, OP, for jumping in here, but thanks for starting a very helpful conversation.

You’re welcome 🙂 

A VPN will never hide the MAC address to the local hotspot of the ship. In your case, if you don’t have an android device, you won’t be able to connect more than one specific device. 

Most of people I have encountered did not about the VPN trick, so I think MSC does not take a big risk. MSC seems to allow VPN because of people requesting it for “home office” onboard MSC ships (MSC even did a marketing campaign about “home office” onboard their ships!). 

22 hours ago, LeCommandant said:

(For experts: the hotspot only allows 2 MAC address in total, which cannot be changed then). 

Upthread, I had speculated that it couldn't be tracking MAC addresses since iOS 14 devices don't expose the true MAC address. If MAC address is indeed how they do it, then it must prohibit connections from devices with this Private Address enabled, or you need to make sure you don't reset network settings during the cruise lest you generate a new address for that wi-fi network.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, publicpersona said:

iOS 14 devices don't expose the true MAC address

Interesting comment here. According to my personal experience, I have seen that every iDevice has an original MAC address AND a 2nd address that can be changed randomly for each hotspot by enabling “private MAC address”. That means that if you activate “private MAC address” in WiFi settings, you will always have the same random MAC address for that specific hotspot.

Sounds like we have some real experts here. For that I am thankful. 

As I’ve resigned myself to the requirement of purchasing a plan for my wife’s’ iPhone and another plan for my iPhone, I’m looking for a recommendation on which plan to buy for an upcoming cruise on Musica. 

One for each of us on the 1 Device Plan (below) or one for each of us on the 2 Device Plan (also below)? 

The 2 Device Plan clearly seems to be the less expensive option but????? What am I missing?

INTERNET

B1POSBU.jpgsBrowse - 1 Device
  • Browse - 1 Device
  • Price:$ 199.75 Per person

B2POSBU.jpg 
  • Browse - 2 Devices
  • Price:$ 319.50 Per person
Edited by Bgwest

1 hour ago, LeCommandant said:

Interesting comment here. According to my personal experience, I have seen that every iDevice has an original MAC address AND a 2nd address that can be changed randomly for each hotspot by enabling “private MAC address”. That means that if you activate “private MAC address” in WiFi settings, you will always have the same random MAC address for that specific hotspot.

Of course the device still has its true MAC address as well. What I said was that it didn't expose that to wi-fi. The Private Address is on by default so one need not "activate" it for it to become a factor. It is correct that it persists the same private address per SSID. That's why I cautioned to avoid resetting network settings during the cruise.

11 hours ago, LeCommandant said:

You’re welcome 🙂 …..  Most of people I have encountered did not about the VPN trick, so I think MSC does not take a big risk. MSC seems to allow VPN because of people requesting it for “home office” onboard MSC ships (MSC even did a marketing campaign about “home office” onboard their ships!). 

Thanks so much, LeCommandant! Will try it out when I sail next Sunday and report back with results.

Getting back to the "how to buy" part of this thread, I'm not sure I am getting what I thought I was getting. Our cruise of two pax purchased the ALL IN DRINKS & WIFI fare for each. This rate is described as including "ACCESS FOR 2 DEVICES DURING YOUR CRUISE WITH UNLIMITED 24-HOUR ACCESS." I've been assuming all along that this means 2 devices per pax.

However, on the cruise documentation, "INCL − B20213CP−Browse − 2 devices − 09/25/21" is only shown under my name, and not for the other pax. Every other line item appears under each name on the booking. Are they pulling a fast one and saying that it is 2 devices per cabin rather than 2 devices per All In fare paid?