Boarding with stepdaughter..

Prismism

My wife and I are bringing her daughter on her first cruise. She is 13 years old and my wife has full custody of her. I read on carnival's website that we should bring a signed letter from her father. She has his last name, so I was worried that without the letter they may not let us board the ship. Has anyone had any experience with having to do this?

Furthermore, does she need an ID and birth certificate? Or do they just allow minors to board with no documents?

My daughter deals with this issue- She will need BC and photo ID and a note from other parent saying it is okay for her to go - they do that so they know the other parent knows your wife is taking her out of the country. They may ask for it and they may not, but better safe than  sorry

If she has sole custody she needs to bring custody decree too

Edited by MoTex

51 minutes ago, Prismism said:

My wife and I are bringing her daughter on her first cruise. She is 13 years old and my wife has full custody of her. I read on carnival's website that we should bring a signed letter from her father. She has his last name, so I was worried that without the letter they may not let us board the ship. Has anyone had any experience with having to do this?

Furthermore, does she need an ID and birth certificate? Or do they just allow minors to board with no documents?

Is there any possibility that the father will make problems?  Like reporting the child being taken out of the country without his permission?  Does the custody agreement allow unrestricted travel outside the US?   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Is there any possibility that the father will make problems?  Like reporting the child being taken out of the country without his permission?  Does the custody agreement allow unrestricted travel outside the US?   

We have a good relationship with her father and won't have any problem getting a signed letter. We just wanted to know how necessary it was. We are sailing next Saturday on the Breeze out of Galveston and just wanted to have all of our ducks in a row.

Edited by Prismism
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Prismism said:

We have a good relationship with her father and won't have any problem getting a signed letter. We just wanted to know how necessary it was.

Carnival says bring it they usually don't ask for it.  You don't want to be that one passenger they ask for it and you don't have it. 

Thats what my daughter said - they have taken several cruises and always had one just in case

NO didnt ask but in one of the ports in Fl they got real biotch and wanted a letter from dad, a copy of their marriage certificate etc etc