Covid testing at the pier for kids.

madera cruiser

This may be a shot in the dark. Has anyone experienced the covid test at the pier for children?

I'm not sure if our 4yr old grandson will tolerate the swab in the nose test. If an oral swab test is used, we are golden.

Protocols may change between now and our January sailing, but it isn't too early to cancel if the nasal test is the only option.

Please.... no guessing about what tests are used. Just first hand knowledge.

Edited by madera cruiser

• madera cruiser changed the title to Covid testing at the pier for kids.

From recent information, there is a good chance that the vaccination will be approved for ages two and up in November-December of 2021.

Depending on the actual approval date, Carnival may wisely require vaccinations for all passengers ages two and up.

Of course, that probably will still not change the requirement for testing within a certain time period before boarding.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, BroadwayGirl said:

He’ll also have to do a pcr test as of right now at 72 hrs. Do they do oral pcr tests? Bc that may be a nasal swab as well and something to consider. 

My research so far shows that pcr tests can be nasal swab, oral swab or saliva. Maybe not getting correct info. I'll ask my physian tomorrow.

We are about to sail Royal Caribbean in less than 20 days. I have a 6 year old and a 9 year old. My very dramatic 6 year old has been covid tested 4 times. The antigen test with the little nose swab is easier than the PCR. She had the PCR "brain scraper" swab when she was 5 and she did say it hurt her nose a bit, but she was ok afterwards and the Dr gave her a popsicle. I know Royal requires the PCR at the pier to board and I am nervous about it, but I know she's had it done before and it was OK. Just yesterday, Royal said we can do the antigen tests 3 days before so I am going to go that route to avoid an extra PCR. Hope that helps, a lot can change between now and when you sail.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 10:38 AM, madera cruiser said:

This may be a shot in the dark. Has anyone experienced the covid test at the pier for children?

I'm not sure if our 4yr old grandson will tolerate the swab in the nose test. If an oral swab test is used, we are golden.

Protocols may change between now and our January sailing, but it isn't too early to cancel if the nasal test is the only option.

Please.... no guessing about what tests are used. Just first hand knowledge.

I know that Carnival is contracting these tests out, and you will likely get an e-mail about a week before requesting you to pre-register with the contracted company to expedite the process at the port. At the port of Long Beach on 9/4 they were using the Abbott BinaxNOW test. The test was administered nasally for my 3 and 6 year old children. The test was not very invasive and neither child complained or had any issues at all. Also, if other sites are using the same rapid test, the FDA Emergency Use Authorization for that test clearly states that it is approved for nasal use.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tm_aw_love said:

I know that Carnival is contracting these tests out, and you will likely get an e-mail about a week before requesting you to pre-register with the contracted company to expedite the process at the port. At the port of Long Beach on 9/4 they were using the Abbott BinaxNOW test. The test was administered nasally for my 3 and 6 year old children. The test was not very invasive and neither child complained or had any issues at all. Also, if other sites are using the same rapid test, the FDA Emergency Use Authorization for that test clearly states that it is approved for nasal use.  Hope this helps.

Thank you for the response. It is exactly what I was looking for.

DGS had to take a swab test last night, for an unrelated issue. My son said he had little problem with it.

If our state government doesn't shut California down again, we should be in good shape.

Thanks.

• Like 1