Century Suite (NS)

joelsmith101

We did not stay in those cabins but in a cabin right below.

There is nothing large about the Century Suites as they have a standard sized interior and a small balcony. But until her $55 million makeover happens in April, Century has precious few balconies which is why these Century Suites have a suite designation. Here is a photo of the balcony taken by Luckyroot: NS balcony photo

We did not stay in those cabins but in a cabin right below.

There is nothing large about the Century Suites as they have a standard sized interior and a small balcony. But until her $55 million makeover happens in April, Century has precious few balconies which is why these Century Suites have a suite designation. Here is a photo of the balcony taken by Luckyroot: NS balcony photo

Actually, these are just a skosh larger than the FO cabins in the same aft position on Galaxy and Mercury. 220 sq ft. A good bit larger than the normal "interior" of the other outside balcony cabins (172 sq ft). Closer to the size of a Sky Suite than any of the normal insides or outsides.

As your pic from Luckyroot notes, though, the balconies really are tiny. Would have thought they'd be larger, since on Galaxy and Mercury, there's a bit more deck space than that out back of the FO cabins. Another oddity of Century.

Actually, these are just a skosh larger than the FO cabins in the same aft position on Galaxy and Mercury. 220 sq ft. A good bit larger than the normal "interior" of the other outside balcony cabins (172 sq ft). Closer to the size of a Sky Suite than any of the normal insides or outsides.

The mini-suites interiors are smaller than an FO (somehow still designated as Cat 3 on the Century). A better approximation is that the interior of the mini-suite PLUS the its small balcony space is equal to the aft Cat 3 interior (210 sq ft). In other words some mini-suite interior space was sacrificed to make room for the balcony. This was pretty obvious to us when we were on the Century.

When Century first sailed in 1996, the Century Suite was actually classified as a plain old Cat 2 "deluxe outside" cabin with a balcony.

Yes! They are approximately 210 sq ft--versus the 175 sq ft for a standard cabin--and designed to sleep up to 5 people (1 double bed and a sitting area that has 2 non-fold out sofa beds and 1 bunk bed that folds out of the wall). Very similar to the Cat FO cabins on Galaxy/Mercury although Century Cat 3 is laid out a little differently and it has a very deeply bayed window (and the window is private).

The mini-suites interiors are smaller than an FO (somehow still designated as Cat 3 on the Century). A better approximation is that the interior of the mini-suite PLUS the its small balcony space is equal to the aft Cat 3 interior (210 sq ft). In other words some mini-suite interior space was sacrificed to make room for the balcony. This was pretty obvious to us when we were on the Century.
Funny, in response to your message, I've just noted that some sites (including one that sounds a bit like cruises incorporated, where some of be best deck plans can be found quickly) are showing 220 sq. ft., while Celebrity is showing 190 square feet (about the size of a Concierge Class on an M-Class ship).

On Galaxy and Mercury, there is a fair bit of deck space behind the FO cabins on both decks where they occur. Plenty of room for loungers facing aft and plenty of room to walk past them. Luckyroot's pic certainly shows that all of that space wasn't turned into balcony space for these NS cabins. So where did the rest of the space go? Did the forward section of these cabins start further back, or is this deck on the Century somehow truncated. The space must be there somewhere. Or perhaps not.

On Century's Penthouse deck, there are 9 side cabins aft of the aft elevator, and then the NS cabins across the back. On Galaxy and Mercury, there are about 10 cabins in the same space, plus one more. So you'd think that there would have been ample room for a proper balcony for these cabins unless a WHOLE lot of space is "missing" from the aft end of the Century.

We know that Century is the odd duck of the three -- I'm beginning to think that it's mostly aft where Century loses the 51 feet in length to Galaxy and Mercury. Would you buy that? Every time I try to draw a comparison between them, it seems like it's in the aft section where I'm getting bit, and it's becoming clear that one can't trust web sites -- even for simple things like interior dimensions.

I'm the Luckyroot with the picture. If you go to my cruise pictures (link below) you can also see some inside shots of the NS cabin. It was larger than a Standard cabin, but the balcony was indeed tiny. You could barely get the door open to step out there and get into the 2 chairs and tiny little table. But it had a lovely view of the wake, I was celebrating my 50th birthday and we were happy to be on a cruise.

I could find NOTHING on the NS suites after we booked so I vowed to have pictures available, and there are interior and exterior shots on my webshots site. This picture gives a pretty good idea of the interior of the cabin. http://community.webshots.com/photo/334930505/1334935040027121405goUsnk

Have only stayed in a standard outside and this mini-suite, so I don't have much to compare it too. Next year we'll be in a CC aft on Connie, and I'll be adding to my cruise repetoire <sp>

Archived