Teen program on Oosterdam

cruzrmomma

We live in San Diego, so Mexico is an easy cruise for us. We've done the Pride and Sapphire princess, and Princess had a great teen program. Has anyone taken teens on the Oosterdam? They don't seem to have a dedicted teen area, whereas Princess does. Also-how does the 'room service' work if you want a snack late night, but you are not in your stateroom? My kids like to 'graze' and with the Lido closing at 6p.m-don't know what the deal is for late night food. I'd really like to do a different ship, but am unsure about HAL for families. thanks for any replies.

Last April we were on the Oosterdam with a multitude of familes. Many with teens. Do know there were several activities for the teens to include dance nights. All of the teens we saw seem to be having a wonderful time and making lots of new friends. The teens were so refreshing to see their total grasp of adventure. If you are traveling during a heavy family time the opportunities for your teens will be increased. Travelling off family times will limit the activities for your teen.

That teen is lucky to have a parent who cares about them having fun on this vacation.

We sailed the Oosterdam 1/21-1/28 - not a heavy week for travel with teens. I had contacted HAL about two weeks prior to departure to ask how many would be aboard in the 13-17 age group. I was told 12 in that age group. My son found 3 friends that he hung out with constantly - they were a great group of kids and had quite a bit in common.

As we boarded, my son was asked by an officer how old he was . He replied 14 and was immediately given a program of teen activities and invited to join the get togethers. Every evening a program for the next days teen activities was left for him so that he and his friends could plan what they were going to do.

The only drawback to my son meeting friends a little earlier in the trip was his own impatience. He had arrived at the teen center promptly at 9:30 the first night out to meet people and there was only staff there, so he left. He found out later that a couple kids had shown up before and after him and did the same thing so they never connected. The next day however, he headed to the basketball court and from that point on he had friends. They swam, went to shows, saw movies, even met up to eat together occasionally. He had a wonderful time and so did we!

I never heard him complain that access to food was a problem. One of the reasons we took the cruise is because he eats constantly. Even as he would pass through the room to change clothes for another event, he'd grab a piece of fruit...if anything's in sight he has the urge to eat it. HAL lost money on this kid over 7 days:D

Stations in the Lido are open to different hours. There was always pizza and ice cream available. I believe it was generally open until 8pm (except the night they closed a little early to prepare for the desert extravaganza). The Terrace Grill out on the Lido is open until 5pm so you have burgers, hot dogs, taco bar available if you didn't make it to lunch before 2pm, or you just want a mid afternoon snack. There was also the late night snack that started anywhere between 10:15 & 11:00 and ran until midnight.

We had only used room service for early morning coffee so I could enjoy it out on our verandah. You do need to be present in the room as for safety reasons they won't leave the tray in the hall. Don't know how it would work if you wanted an order delivered out to a table in the Lido for instance. Although, you could always order something to your room and when it arrived take your tray of food with you to wherever you want to be.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip. My son would go again in a minute.

Deb

I do believe that the Oosterdam has the Oasis, which is a dedicated Teen area. We were on the Zaandam last year right after their SOE upgrade and the Oasis was a great area for the kids. They have a waterfall, sun deck and an indoor lounge with lots of big pillows and comfy couches. There's a sign outside telling anyone other than "teens" to stay away as this is their area. Ofcourse, parents can tour the facilities.

We will be on the 4/15 sailing with our DS, age 16.

We will be on the Oosterdam with our teens 13 and 17, March 25th. I see where you said your son "watched movies" I couldn't find the movie theater on the Oosterdam. Do they have an area like other HAL ships or did he watch them in the room? My teens love to go to the theater. Thanks

Archived