Starbucks with Premium Plus - yes or no?

deek72

Sorry, I know there had been discussion on it but I still can't find a definitive answer:

Is Starbucks included with Premium Plus?

We are considering upgrading, largely because we assumed that 'speciality coffee' would include Starbucks. I've read threads on here where Starbucks is mentioned as a benefit of upgrading. I have just asked on live chat and was told categorically that Starbucks isn't included in any package.

We were on Jade a couple of weeks ago and we upgraded, and although the coffee bar in The Atrium is branded 'Lavazza' the coffee came in Starbucks branded cups and we weren't charged for any of them. 

We're on Getaway in 2 weeks which I believe has a full-blown Starbucks but if it's not included in the upgrade then it's really not worth it to us. We drink a lot of coffee so it would go a long way towards justifying the upgrade were it included.

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, hallux said:

There is mention of it in this thread, including a link to an NCL page/document.  There is an interpretation that Starbucks is included in the "specialty coffee"...

Yes but unfortunately it still doesn't help. The link in that thread merely states 'speciality coffees'.

I think the way forward is to wait until we're onboard then ask at the actual Starbucks and take it from there. 

what else would the term "specialty coffee" refer to?

where else on the ship do they serve "specialty coffee?"

i'm not being argumentative, i would simply like to know.

if you get a shot of bailey's in your coffee at a regular bar, that's included in the regular drinks package as a standard alcoholic drink. so what else could "specialty coffee" possibly refer to?

i think the documentation doesn't specifically state "starbucks" because branding still varies across the ships for premium priced "specialty coffee."  i sure do wish it did specifically state starbucks (or other brands that are included). i agree that would be clearer.  i  do appreciate the concern and the quest for a definitive answer, but we already have lots of reports of people ordering starbucks and having it included. so we may be overthinking this.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, UKstages said:

if you get a shot of bailey's in your coffee at a regular bar, that's included in the regular drinks package as a standard alcoholic drink. so what else could "specialty coffee" possibly refer to?

i think the documentation doesn't specifically state "starbucks" because branding still varies across the ships for premium priced "specialty coffee."  i sure do wish it did specifically state starbucks (or other brands that are included). i agree that would be clearer.  i  do appreciate the concern and the quest for a definitive answer, but we already have lots of reports of people ordering starbucks and having it included. so we may be overthinking this.

Turn that logic around and try it the other way.

Regular coffee is free and included with your cruise...no drink package of any type is necessary.

Does that mean you can simply walk into Starbucks and get a black coffee at no charge?

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

Well the term 'speciality coffee' could refer to Lavazza coffee which, as I mentioned, we had on Jade a couple of weeks ago and weren't charged for. 

The Bailey's in coffee you mention is a speciality coffee as we all recognise, like Irish coffee or Calypso coffee, and could be what they are referring to. That would simply be a shot of whiskey and some cream in a regular coffee. Although having said that, that should be available to anyone on the non-plus package anyway. 

I agree with you in thatI don't see why they are so vague about it if it is included. They could simply say that 'all/any coffees and tea that are available' are included.

Yes, I've also seen posts where people say they are included but the lady I spoke to on live chat was pretty adamant that they Starbucks isn't included in any drinks package. 

• Like 1

I think it is pretty clear term wise that Starbucks is included the Premium Plus package. These are terms of Premium package:

"The Premium Beverage Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, speciality coffee beverages, speciality Starbucks locations, Coco's, energy drinks, vending machines, wine stations or spirits, cocktails, draft or bottled beer and glasses of wine over $15 USD. Two (2) beverages per person per transaction."

For the Premium Plus exclusions are:

"For non-select bottles of wine (champagne and sparkling included), “Wine and Spirit Experiences”, tastings, and flights, guest will receive a 40% discount when purchased on board.

Does not include: Room service, mini bar purchases, vending machines, or pre-cruise wine bottle purchases."

So when checking the differences in terms Starbucks and Coco's are included in the Premium Plus package. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JezzaC said:

I think it is pretty clear term wise that Starbucks is included the Premium Plus package. These are terms of Premium package:

"The Premium Beverage Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, speciality coffee beverages, speciality Starbucks locations, Coco's, energy drinks, vending machines, wine stations or spirits, cocktails, draft or bottled beer and glasses of wine over $15 USD. Two (2) beverages per person per transaction."

For the Premium Plus exclusions are:

"For non-select bottles of wine (champagne and sparkling included), “Wine and Spirit Experiences”, tastings, and flights, guest will receive a 40% discount when purchased on board.

Does not include: Room service, mini bar purchases, vending machines, or pre-cruise wine bottle purchases."

So when checking the differences in terms Starbucks and Coco's are included in the Premium Plus package. 

Thanks. Yes, when you look at it like that then it does look like it's included, although your example also excludes mini bar purchases which aren't included in the Plus package so it's not quite cut and dried.

Edit: Ah, I don't think I read it properly and can see that the Plus exclusions do mention mini bar purchases so I think you're most probably correct. 

Since I last posted I've had an assurance from an NCL personal cruise consultant that Starbucks is included though. 

Thanks for your input everyone. 

Edited by deek72
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, deek72 said:

Well the term 'speciality coffee' could refer to Lavazza coffee which, as I mentioned, we had on Jade a couple of weeks ago and weren't charged for. 

The Bailey's in coffee you mention is a speciality coffee as we all recognise, like Irish coffee or Calypso coffee, and could be what they are referring to. That would simply be a shot of whiskey and some cream in a regular coffee. Although having said that, that should be available to anyone on the non-plus package anyway. 

I agree with you in thatI don't see why they are so vague about it if it is included. They could simply say that 'all/any coffees and tea that are available' are included.

Yes, I've also seen posts where people say they are included but the lady I spoke to on live chat was pretty adamant that they Starbucks isn't included in any drinks package. 

Adding Bailey's to free coffee is not specialty. It is like ordering a soft drink with bourbon. It is alcohol and a paid beverage UNLESS  you have the beverage package.  I THINK you can get espresso, etc at some bars which would be considered a specialty coffee.

I  am curious if Starbucks is included in the upgraded pkg (don't recall the official name) and if you can use Starbucks points in the onboard Starbucks. 

6 hours ago, UKstages said:

You are able to order cappuccino, etc. in dining rooms that is not Starbucks coffee. Those are considered Specialty Coffees, I believe a cappuccino was $3.95 on our Encore cruise earlier this month. 

Edited by LNielsen
L Nielsen