Extension cords

Quartetlead

I have a multi adapter I got for my European trips as well. Amazon no longer carries it  but it has 3 outlets and 4 USB. I have taken it on every cruise with no problems. I may or may not have to work when I vacation so I always have my laptop, my phone and sometimes my Kindle. 

1 hour ago, ampurp85 said:

I have a multi adapter I got for my European trips as well. Amazon no longer carries it  but it has 3 outlets and 4 USB. I have taken it on every cruise with no problems. I may or may not have to work when I vacation so I always have my laptop, my phone and sometimes my Kindle. 

Please check this very carefully.  Most hubs that have both power outlets and USB ports are surge protected.  While useful for land use in Europe, it is a fire hazard on ships.  If it has a "protected" LED, or has a "VPN" in the specifications on the back, then it is surge protected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

This states it is a surge protector, so it is not compatible with shipboard systems, and is a fire hazard.

It is only 2 prong plug.

The one US outlet is 3 prong, but the Euro plug is not grounded.

I can't see where it says it is surge protected.

Not arguing, just trying to figure things out.

17 minutes ago, SRF said:

It is only 2 prong plug.

The one US outlet is 3 prong, but the Euro plug is not grounded.

I can't see where it says it is surge protected.

Not arguing, just trying to figure things out.

Well, there you go.  A two prong plug is not capable of being surge protected, but the 5th picture on the Amazon webpage shows surge protection as one of the 5 levels of protection.  Typical.

19 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I will say I have an extension cord in my Cpap bag (non surge protected), that is there for hotel stays prior to cruise, if needed. I have contacted special needs prior and have received a cord from them, but have never had the one in my Cpap bag taken.

My non-surge protected extension cord was removed from my CPAP bag at check-in on my last RCCL cruise.  Fortunately one was provided in the room through special needs.

On 9/23/2021 at 10:54 AM, chengkp75 said:

This states it is a surge protector, so it is not compatible with shipboard systems, and is a fire hazard.

That is bizarre.

They claim overvoltage protection also.  NO way will that device do that.

7 minutes ago, SRF said:

That is bizarre.

They claim overvoltage protection also.  NO way will that device do that.

Overvoltage protection is what most of these USB hubs actually have, but claim it's surge protection.  Overvoltage protection simply turns off the output voltage if the input voltage gets too high.  But something like a lightning strike or transformer failure (on land) will quickly burn through the open barrier between high and low voltage and send it to your electronics.

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Overvoltage protection is what most of these USB hubs actually have, but claim it's surge protection.  Overvoltage protection simply turns off the output voltage if the input voltage gets too high.  But something like a lightning strike or transformer failure (on land) will quickly burn through the open barrier between high and low voltage and send it to your electronics.

Hmm, just wondering how they would do that at the price point.

Yes, the USB ports are voltage protected.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Hmm, just wondering how they would do that at the price point.

Yes, the USB ports are voltage protected.

Surge protection is stupid cheap to produce, which is why most of the early combined (power and USB) power strips were surge protected.