Brief review of aft facing family balcony on Meraviglia

bundtkate

We are in 11273 right now and since I had some trouble finding info on these cabins, I thought I'd take a moment out of my sea day to share some thoughts. Note that it's just me and my husband in this room so if you actually have a family of 3-4, some of my gripes may not apply. 

The Good

The balcony is huge. No, really, it's almost unreasonable how big it is. I have had balcony rooms smaller than this balcony.

The room itself is a fair bit larger than other balcony rooms I've managed to peek into while they are being cleaned. There is room for two people to walk at the foot of the bed if you're average weight. Lots of room for activities by the desk.

Extra storage and outlets. There are bunk beds in a little nook that we aren't using. There's good and bad that comes with this, but this is the good section so we'll focua on the 2 extra drawers, 2 extra cabinets, and 2 extra USBs.

Balcony is very private. One side is completely closed off from the neighboring balcony. Balcony is fully covered (maybe not so great for those who enjoy sun on their balcony) so no one can see from above or below.

The Not-so-good

No couch. You get bunk beds instead. No, you can't sit on them. I'm 5'4" and would bonk my head.

TV is placed so bunk beds can watch on the same wall as the head of the normal bed. Doesn't swivel so can't be seen from the bed so you're left with just the desk chair/stool to sit on. Great for kids, probs. Not great if you don't have em.

Only 2 chairs and one foot stool on your balcony. They look awkward on such a large balcony and barely take up 25% of it. You could easily fit 2 loungers. We were able to get a second footstool which is enough for us, but it feels like the default should be some extra furniture. 

Overall, I still really like the room. The cost was 💯 as I barely paid more than a standard balcony and the balcony itself makes up for any cons. But, there were some unexpected downsides so I hope this helps others make some better informed choices.

I won't promise anything approaching live as I've still got a ton of exploring to do, but if y'all have any questions (about the cabin or otherwise) ask away and I'll try to give answers when I'm able. 

• Thanks 1

Glad you started this thread.  We booked the Family Suite on the Meraviglia and found out today that we have been assigned 14213 and 14215.  These are both Aft cabins.  I have never stayed in an Aft cabin.  I have mixed feelings.  Is it loud?  14213 is the last cabin in the row.  The balcony looks smaller than others.  I am thinking that these are just 2 sided by side cabins.  Do you know if this is the case.  I am a little worried that by being so high and under buffet overhang that I will not get any sun.  Your thoughts....

Forgive the lack of quotes here. Mobile CC isn't the best.

Chrisfromco: It might be a tight fit. I can stretch out (5'4") and hubby (6'0") can only just fit. Neither of us can comfortably sit up to get out of the things. I would favor a cabin with a sofa bed, personally.

Hummer2407: The balcony is loud, but it's the waves from the wake in my case. It doesn't bother me, but I do miss the calmer waves from a normal balcony. I can't comment on the noise from the buffet. Not a thing on 11, but I wouldn't think it would be.

I can say the balconies on 14 aren't as deep. 10 and 11 look deepest to me with 12 not being much less. By the time you get to 14, tho, it looks almost normal balcony depth. Family balcony will still be wider. If you look on the deck plan, the family ones will have an interior between two balconies. If you don't have one of those then yea, might not be as wide. Defs not so much with the sun on my deck. 14 is the highest up one so might get more? I'll see if I can get a better look at them next I'm off the ship. I like the cover (it's been so hot on our cruise), but I can see how some may not.

• 11 months later...