Panama Canal Cruise Ports

lowbudgetmama

We are on Princess Emerald Panama Canal Cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale for 10 days from November 6, 2021 to Novemeber 16, 2021.  I need a wheelchasir.  I am interested to know if anyone can tell me what ports require a transit boat (which I cannot go on) and which ports let me "roll" off and visit.  Also (if possible) how FAR it is from the ship to the port.  I remember on an Alaskan cruise there was one port that was a looonnng way from the ship, whereas there were some ports that were immediately at the bottom of the ramp.  Trying to plan my visits and/or excursions.  Thanks!!  ☺️ 

• 1 month later...

Hi lowbudgetmama, it might be an idea to give folks a bit more info. Is the cruise a full transit from ocean to ocean or is it partial transit into Lake Gatun and back out the same side? Also it might be a good idea to list the ports you visit.

For what it’s worth I have done two full transit both from Pacific to Atlantic. From my recollections the ships tendered at Cabo San Lucas and San Juan Del Sur.  They docked at Puntarenas and Cartagena. We’re due to do it again in 22 and in addition to the above ports we also visit Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, Puerto Quetzal and Fuerta Amador and all of those are marked as ports where we dock.  Our cruise doesn’t go to Colon or any Caribbean islands.

Hopefully you’ll get some folks with stronger knowledge come on here to correct any errors or add other useful info. Have a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2021 at 7:23 AM, caneable said:

Hi lowbudgetmama, it might be an idea to give folks a bit more info. Is the cruise a full transit from ocean to ocean or is it partial transit into Lake Gatun and back out the same side? Also it might be a good idea to list the ports you visit.

For what it’s worth I have done two full transit both from Pacific to Atlantic. From my recollections the ships tendered at Cabo San Lucas and San Juan Del Sur.  They docked at Puntarenas and Cartagena. We’re due to do it again in 22 and in addition to the above ports we also visit Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, Puerto Quetzal and Fuerta Amador and all of those are marked as ports where we dock.  Our cruise doesn’t go to Colon or any Caribbean islands.

Hopefully you’ll get some folks with stronger knowledge come on here to correct any errors or add other useful info. Have a great cruise.

Hello, Our cruise is a partial transit I think into Lake Gatun any recommendations for excursions? We have never been in this area before

1 hour ago, 2dot2dot said:

Hello, Our cruise is a partial transit I think into Lake Gatun any recommendations for excursions? We have never been in this area before

Normally the cruise line offer an excursion which is a partial transit of the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut.  This will give you a chance to see a lot more of the Canal as well as experiencing the difference in going through the locks on a large ship and a smaller vessel.  Gaillard Cut and the Pacific side IMO are the more scenic portions of the Canal.  The ride to the Pacific side and back to your ship in Colon will also give you a chance to see some of the countryside.

• Like 1