Your Deposit with coupon/future credit, may or not be "initial" payment, so may not cover Pre Existing Medical conditions

This is ridiculous!  I had to come back to share this because I know many would want pre existing medical conditions coverage.  There's a lot out there to choose from... went to Squaremouth where they have comparisons after nick picking several and "reading" carefuly every policy 🤪 I decided Trawick (by Nationwide) at $116 to cover "pre existing," Covid, medical evacuation etc etc a really all what I thought GOOD comprehensive policy, I thought! 

I called them because the only hang up, I thought I needed to understand was to explain Medical as "Secondary" and as they were running down the policy with me before I can ask THAT question, they brought up ANOTHER ISSUE.  To my surprise, being I thought "initial payment" meant my first "cash" payment which was on Sept 30th, 2021 but "when asked first payment" and casually brought up the "credit deposit of $250" back in Jan 4th, well nooooooooo folks, according to Trawick, Sept 30th wasn't the "initial" payment, it was JAN 4th.  So it's over their 90 day look back for "pre existing" conditions and won't be covered (I was thinking from Sept 30th payment, I'd be within whatever 10 days-14days (?) after that to pay the Insurance as to then be covered for the pre existing "waiver" but that now won't even matter either after looking back at your "initial" payment with "coupon/credit" and see it was over 90 days)...  BTW after the fact, I found out too the Medical as "Secondary" means you'd have to submit all claims FIRST to your "primary" Insurance and then whenever you got back the denial, you would then submit it to them as "secondary" to cover anything they didn't cover... 

OMG, now I have to start all over!  Hoping to find another coverage, fortunately, first one I pull up was CF Travel Insured International and they have specifically have written:

When was your initial payment?

"Eligibility for time sensitive benefits are based on the initial payment/deposit for the originally scheduled trip, for which cash was paid, and not the date the Future Travel Credit (FTC) was applied towards the trip, if such a travel credit was used."

So folks, just came here to share, if you got Insurance coverage stating it covers "pre existing medical coverage" and that's important to you?  Any claim related to that during your trip will "not" be covered if it was made "over" 90 days back that includes those NCL "deposits of $250 coupon" and if you're thinking like me, "that" shouldn't be considered as initial payment because it wasn't "cash" payment, apparently not every Insurance sees it that way...     

This of course, is first Insurance that I notice specified in "writing" that FTC is not considered as initial payment and not too happy with the cost Plans Protector Edge for $158 and Worldwide Trip Protector for $200 but probably what I'll end up paying just because I'm burnt out of reading the fine print of so many policies... Hope this helps anybody out here too, if overlooking this...  This policy also covers Medical Evacuation, which is important to me after watching all those Cruise Ships stuck in the ocean because nobody wanted them to dock when Covid began, though don't think I'd mind it if "not" sick 😎 but if I were, I'd want to be evacuated back home right away and afraid of getting sick from the others... 🤗   Oh, now I don't know if COVID or pandemics need to be specified as well, if it will be covered under "sickness"?    

If you all are using any good Travel Insurances, please share, like to hear about it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like you need to speak with a 'Live' Travel Insurance Agent, one who specializes in TI.

What you are pointing out about Tarwick is similar for a few TI companies.

Understand your concern.

bon voyage

On 10/6/2021 at 4:08 PM, nildib said:

This is ridiculous!  I had to come back to share this because I know many would want pre existing medical conditions coverage.  There's a lot out there to choose from... went to Squaremouth where they have comparisons after nick picking several and "reading" carefuly every policy 🤪 I decided Trawick (by Nationwide) at $116 to cover "pre existing," Covid, medical evacuation etc etc a really all what I thought GOOD comprehensive policy, I thought! 

I called them because the only hang up, I thought I needed to understand was to explain Medical as "Secondary" and as they were running down the policy with me before I can ask THAT question, they brought up ANOTHER ISSUE.  To my surprise, being I thought "initial payment" meant my first "cash" payment which was on Sept 30th, 2021 but "when asked first payment" and casually brought up the "credit deposit of $250" back in Jan 4th, well nooooooooo folks, according to Trawick, Sept 30th wasn't the "initial" payment, it was JAN 4th.  So it's over their 90 day look back for "pre existing" conditions and won't be covered (I was thinking from Sept 30th payment, I'd be within whatever 10 days-14days (?) after that to pay the Insurance as to then be covered for the pre existing "waiver" but that now won't even matter either after looking back at your "initial" payment with "coupon/credit" and see it was over 90 days)...  BTW after the fact, I found out too the Medical as "Secondary" means you'd have to submit all claims FIRST to your "primary" Insurance and then whenever you got back the denial, you would then submit it to them as "secondary" to cover anything they didn't cover... 

OMG, now I have to start all over!  Hoping to find another coverage, fortunately, first one I pull up was CF Travel Insured International and they have specifically have written:

When was your initial payment?

"Eligibility for time sensitive benefits are based on the initial payment/deposit for the originally scheduled trip, for which cash was paid, and not the date the Future Travel Credit (FTC) was applied towards the trip, if such a travel credit was used."

So folks, just came here to share, if you got Insurance coverage stating it covers "pre existing medical coverage" and that's important to you?  Any claim related to that during your trip will "not" be covered if it was made "over" 90 days back that includes those NCL "deposits of $250 coupon" and if you're thinking like me, "that" shouldn't be considered as initial payment because it wasn't "cash" payment, apparently not every Insurance sees it that way...     

This of course, is first Insurance that I notice specified in "writing" that FTC is not considered as initial payment and not too happy with the cost Plans Protector Edge for $158 and Worldwide Trip Protector for $200 but probably what I'll end up paying just because I'm burnt out of reading the fine print of so many policies... Hope this helps anybody out here too, if overlooking this...  This policy also covers Medical Evacuation, which is important to me after watching all those Cruise Ships stuck in the ocean because nobody wanted them to dock when Covid began, though don't think I'd mind it if "not" sick 😎 but if I were, I'd want to be evacuated back home right away and afraid of getting sick from the others... 🤗   Oh, now I don't know if COVID or pandemics need to be specified as well, if it will be covered under "sickness"?    

If you all are using any good Travel Insurances, please share, like to hear about it...

[editing added]

[See very first post of this subforum, above.]

Are you aware that you are posting this in the sub-forum that gets specific help from the person who started this sub-forum:

---------------------------

Hi,

I'm Steve Dasseos and I started and own https://TripInsuranceStore.com. I also have a Wall Street Journal recommended Travel Insurance Blog at https://www.TripInsuranceStore.com/blog. I have over 520 pages between these two websites.

If you live in the USA and have any questions about how travel insurance works, ask here. I also did a Q & A here on Cruise Critic for June 2020 at

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2484-qa-cruise-insurance-w-steve-dasseos-of-the-tripinsurancestorecom-june-2020/

If you want specific information that requires personally identifiable or private information, neither CruiseCric nor myself want you to post that information on a public forum. instead, you may email me at steve@tripinsurancestore.com or fill out this form: https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-email-contact-form/

I'm looking forward to helping you, Steve Dasseos

---------------------------

That's why all of the above is here, "to help CC members get help..."

And many of us here have indeed gotten terrific help from Steve and his associates.  TripInsuranceStore is a travel insurance broker, and work with several insurers, each of which has a few different types of policies.  (Fees are paid by the insurer; no extra cost to travelers.)

We've purchased many policies from him, and we've also had several claims, including a few large ones.

The policies we've had through TIS have been with Travel Insured.

Steve helped us get policies that worked for our specific travel needs, and he's guided us about things like timing of deposits, etc.

ALL claims have been paid without any nonsense, and that's what matters, in our minds.

Our *only* association with TIS is that we are very satisfied clients;  we have no other association with them.

GC

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 7:05 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Are you aware that you are posting this in the sub-forum that gets specific help from the person who started this sub-forum:

No, I wasn't aware... I thought I was just making a new post...  but I really appreciate the information and definitely will look into it... Thanks for sharing it!  CC has always been a great source of help and guide, it's why I come here but also like to share whether good or bad as to help others that are also trying to figure things out...  thanks again 😃  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, nildib said:

No, I wasn't aware... I thought I was just making a new post...  but I really appreciate the information and definitely will look into it... Thanks for sharing it!  CC has always been a great source of help and guide, it's why I come here but also like to share whether good or bad as to help others that are also trying to figure things out...  thanks again 😃  

We learned about TripInsuranceStore (and Steve) here on CC back in 2013.

We've purchased quite a few policies, and had several claims, including a few large ones, all paid promptly.

CALL him; don't just rely upon online summaries.  The fine print can really matter here.

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

CALL him; don't just rely upon online summaries.  The fine print can really matter here.

Yes, after reading his blogs, I can see how he may be VERY helpful to navigate through all this...  We take for granted whose sailing our cruise ships, I just trust we'll get back and from A to Z and everything in between but it's not the same with choosing a Travel Insurance Policy!  I really need someone who can help me through this, I already got a policy but reading all this is leaving me still uncertain...  So THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this... 

5 hours ago, nildib said:

Yes, after reading his blogs, I can see how he may be VERY helpful to navigate through all this...  We take for granted whose sailing our cruise ships, I just trust we'll get back and from A to Z and everything in between but it's not the same with choosing a Travel Insurance Policy!  I really need someone who can help me through this, I already got a policy but reading all this is leaving me still uncertain...  So THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this... 

Don't hesitate to ask them questions.  We learned *so* much early on (after learning about travel insurance and TIS here on CC initially), by asking lots of questions.  "What happens if...?"  "But what about if ...?"  They are very patient.  And that no doubt helps them get the right types of coverage for their clients, so it works for us and for them, etc.

And despite all of those "what if's", here we are several years later with yet more questions that are coming up about situations we hadn't thought about before.  Sometimes, each trip seems to have something "new" about it, insurance wise.

But it's been worthwhile, because none of our claims have been denied, so obviously TIS helped us get policies that worked for our needs, and that's what counts.

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1