HAL Koningsdam 10/10/2021 Coastal California Trip Report LIVE(ish)

nimi17

3 hours ago, zgscl said:

Thank you so much, I’m so glad you enjoyed it! It is so great following along with your trip and it is answering many of the questions I have before boarding Koningsdam next month. 

I really love having all the live from threads. It has been fun seeing everyone’s perspectives, and I must echo @Florida_gal_50that it is important to share both the good and the bad. No sailing is ever perfect and it really helps shape expectations and make informed decisions. For me the MDR menus continue to be the biggest disappointment, but I will mostly do specialty dining this cruise and see how that goes. The lido has also been a great option post pandemic (not that it wasn’t good before) 

I’m happy that you found my thread useful even to such a veteran cruiser as yourself! We hope to do an Alaskan cruise one day and I know I’ll have to refer back to your trip for some port ideas 🥂

I’ve really been disappointed by the MDR menus so far but have been greatly surprised by the Lido! I can’t get enough of the pastries. They’re the perfect size and so deliciously flaky 🤤

Edited by nimi17
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bonstersd said:

There is a place in Pacific Beach, about 10-15 minutes from downtown San Diego (Escondido is 45 minutes north of downtown) that does Rapid Testing.  With insurance, it is $25.  You can make an appt. online.  I did it for my cruise last month and it was easy breezy.  They also take walkins but people with appts. get in faster.  https://app.samedayhealth.com/booking/california--san-diego--pacific-beach?wmode=opaque

There is also a drive through place downtown but it is over $100 and you have to submit it to your insurance for reimbursement. 

Thank you for the information 🛳

99B4BB62-A064-4589-AAF1-EE2040050F54.thumb.jpeg.730d8c748b57569593a504ea9b151d3b.jpegNice photos of San Francisco, nimi17! When working out on the roof of our sports club yesterday (across from the port), the Koningsdam was in prime view. I was so excited to see the trend towards normalcy. Earlier in the week, the Majestic Princess was docked here, representing the first cruise ship in San Francisco since the pandemic started.

We’ve been on the Koningsdam twice, once on the Baltic itinerary. Great memories.

Safe and pleasant travels to you.

Edited by OceanPatter
  • Like 7

Thanks for all the information, photos, dailies, etc.  It has been fun to read and informative.  I think for most of us we all wonder what getting back on board is going to be like after a long hiatus.  Sorry there have been a few missteps along the way, but hopefully it is just the crew getting back into the swing of things and not a trend going forward.  We will see on our 10/31 cruise.  

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

The second day was a port day.  Generally the second day will be the so called “gala” if it isn’t a port day but there can be variations on that too if it’s an early port day.

Thanks, that makes sense if day 2 is a port day. I don't think I've ever been on a cruise that has a port day on the 2nd day, but obviously it can happen depending on the cruise itinerary.🤔

13 minutes ago, PSR said:

Thanks, that makes sense if day 2 is a port day. I don't think I've ever been on a cruise that has a port day on the 2nd day, but obviously it can happen depending on the cruise itinerary.🤔

I find it’s rare to have a port day on the second day but maybe it’s the cruises we do 😀

4 hours ago, nimi17 said:

I’m happy that you found my thread useful even to such a veteran cruiser as yourself! We hope to do an Alaskan cruise one day and I know I’ll have to refer back to your trip for some port ideas 🥂

I’ve really been disappointed by the MDR menus so far but have been greatly surprised by the Lido! I can’t get enough of the pastries. They’re the perfect size and so deliciously flaky 🤤

Yeah the mdr has been so so in my mind for a while.  The gala nights are anything but.  If I’m going to spend extra money getting something I’ll be going to the specialty restaurants where I feel it’s money well  spent.  Surprised about the lido.  I just have such a hate for it it’s hard to get past it.  It’s more about the crowds and people having to think what they want on their salad for 10 minutes that drives me nuts. Maybe with less peeps it won’t be so bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, CampbellsAK said:

Can you tell me if masks are required when actively exercising in the gym? Can you remove your mask once you get on an exercise bike?, for example? Thank you for the lovely food photos - I’ll be on this itinerary in a few short weeks and am already hungry!

Yes, masks are required in the gym. You are also asked to wipe off your equipment after you use it. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nimi17 said:

Can anyone spy 👀 the difference in our sushi rolls? My husband and I ordered the same thing 😅 E02D7A72-AAB2-4D51-8AE8-487C668C5785.thumb.jpeg.cf1ae108be9a0a9e27a1c7ff00a1b604.jpeg

Delicious crab cake 272034B6-0450-4FA2-A6BA-18D39E0D54E8.thumb.jpeg.384f06e2015ac3ccaab8216b4256d02e.jpeg

His halibut 493E82B4-966B-4207-B660-C8F86A59FED2.thumb.jpeg.de090e2d8ea0a7ce133b3897e069940a.jpeg

my prime rib (arrived more medium than medium rare but I really enjoyed the spicy sauce that accompanied it) 41270EF8-54DF-4F80-B2F6-81BD73A1F360.thumb.jpeg.b351cb9e2068806076137fa580899bf9.jpeg

His sundae (that arrived deconstructed in milkshake form) C7C6A205-A038-48D4-A73C-3828A3542594.thumb.jpeg.3ada60aa07b8be00d5e26fb501eea80e.jpeg

and another home run in the No Sugar added category my hazelnut mousse cake! 76761264-2897-4CD7-A7B7-24A18FAB3CD9.thumb.jpeg.2820b16017a2b7d46866efacd6d30d77.jpeg

Did I miss something? Which dining room had sushi AND prime rib?

• Haha 1

I’m ready to add my 2 cents worth. There have been good and bad points to this cruise. First the good:  1- we’re in a Neptune Suite which is lovely, and our stewards are also Bagus and Agus. They are so eager to do a good job and always asking if there’s anything else they can do. They’re very quick and have our cabin done within minutes of our leaving for breakfast or dinner. 2- food quality has been excellent in the MDR, Club Orange and Lido Marketplace. Really delicious and nice and hot. We haven’t been to any of the shows because of one of the negative sides. 
here are the downsides which our group of 7 has decided get down to lack of management. 1- absolutely unacceptable waits in the MDR. So far every night we have n seated promptly but then wait at least 30 minutes before being acknowledged aside from being asked to order cocktails. They eventually come out in a haphazard order. Last night DH and I got our wine but nobody else got there until the appetizers arrived 20 minutes later. After a half hour of being ignored we tackled someone and begged for some bread and water. Since not all of our party has access to Club Orange we’ve been eating in the MDR mostly but one night we decided to try our luck in Orange. Our party off for was seated immediately right next to the hostess. After 30 minutes we asked her if there was a server assigned to that table. It is absolutely ridiculous. Because of these long waits we haven’t been able to make it to the shows because it’s too late when we finish. They have gone away from the waiter and assistant waiter format, plus there aren’t Head Waiters walking around to notice a table without bread and water. We’re not asking for a lot. The waiters seem to be running around like mad but good usually comes out in spurts. That was improved last night, but the  first night one of our group ordered Soup for her entrée. After everyone else got their food the waiter told her that the soup got cold so he had to get another bowl. The rest of us were finished before she got her meal. 2- it’s true that quality of food is great, but the variety is downright dismal. The same things keep showing up. I and one other woman in our group have to eat gluten free and after 3 days of salmon and flan we rebelled. The next night they made a wonderful flourless chocolate cake. Last night there were no gluten free desserts at all. No GF buns at the Dive In and no GF pastries or bagels in the buffet for breakfast. They do have bread and packaged blueberry muffins. I have always appreciated HAL’s GF options, but again, this cruise is totally unacceptable in that area. They aren’t having us order ahead of time like they used to. Management lacking in that area.

3- lots of glitches like getting in the shower and noticing that there’s no shower head- just a pipe sticking out of the wall, no bathrobes until we asked for them, and we have to check our statement daily because of so many errors. The front desk is very apologetic but it’s getting old. 
sorry this is so long. Let me wrap it up by saying I’m a 4 star Mariner and have always really liked HAL. For one couple of our group it’s the first time on HAL, and I’ve been wondering what they must be thinking. I’m willing to give HAL another chance and am hoping that they get back to their pre-pandemic level. 
Michele

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Tony’s Pizza Napoletana: 11 years later and it’s EVEN BETTER THAN WE REMEMBERED! 

My apologies in advance if I lose data. I most likely will not be able to respond until Sunday when we disembark in San Diego. 

7C332922-4060-4564-A203-8F99E036AF81.jpeg

D78CFED3-51CF-4F9B-9C11-7CC3C8BAA95D.jpeg

0F92B2BE-803D-49AA-91DD-BA69A8F7A53C.jpeg

BF0F1074-78EB-4A06-BD92-F2BB28F1C3A8.jpeg

89ADC188-3E40-4AED-9E4F-DEE28D064B7F.jpeg

B7DD84C7-F215-4F0F-AA88-F29026C32DA3.jpeg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I find they are pretty "tight" with MDR reservations and they are limited on times.  Of course this was pre pandemic so it may differ now.  I'm excited to hear about San Francisco from you and also Ensenada.  Ensenada is a hole in my opinion but I'm sure I'll be told otherwise before too long by other posters 😉

I’ve been to Ensenada several times and my favorite excursion was an ATV one I did a long while ago. I’m inclined to stay on the ship this time around and to soak the day away in a hot tub with a nice 🍹😉

• Like 3

West Coast Sue, shopping seemed pretty normal except the 4 star Mariner discount on Logo merchandise isn't available because they have a new supplier and haven't negotiated the discount (?).

After my previous rant I'm happy to report that the MDR service improved on day 5. We actually had appetizers at 30 minutes instead of begging for bread and water! I hope that the first 4 days were just the staff getting back into their jobs.

We disembarked this morning.  They are not giving final statements any more.  We had the "Have It All" package and kept track of our account because lots of inappropriate charges kept showing up.  Our friends didn't check, and she just called to say she checked her credit card  and found HAL had charged $813, almost none of which are legit since they also had the Have It All benefits. So, if you're cruising soon, be sure and stay on top of your account.

Overall you'll enjoy your time on the Koningsdam. We're happy that we went! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 10/14/2021 at 11:36 AM, Florida_gal_50 said:

Sweat suit combo.  Love it.  But those people probably had their luggage lost 😉.  The classic excuse.  I tend to be more dressy than not but I've dumbed it down over the years.  Still more dressed up than most I run across.

Yeah…I carried all my luggage onboard myself but somehow I still managed to lose it…🤷🏻‍♀️😂

On the second gala night, everyone we came across was dressed up, and it was really nice to see as it made the occasion feel more special.

I can’t speak for the first gala night however as we didn’t go, but it feels like almost everyone was in Smart Casual attire all the other nights in the MDR.

• Like 2

Thank you for all the menus.  I just wish hal would get rid of gala night, including the dress up.  I used to dress and and will to a point, but when others are dressed in less than smart casual it's hard to make the effort.  Just speaking for myself.

Thank you for the wonderful thread and all your effort.  I really appreciate it!

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 1

Dive In burger: The High-Dive burger came with a whole wheat bun. Not too sure if they ran out of brioche buns and thus the substitute but the burger was dry.
3E1D1938-3D91-496F-A091-BB76ADFE0098.thumb.jpeg.a9a35d7354a7b921177447f86253fd01.jpeg

New York Deli & Pizza: New Jersey Club Decker was missing lettuce and came buttered and toasted, making it heavier than usual. The flavor was good though. 4A7523F7-0382-4DB6-98A1-CD4655884C82.thumb.jpeg.783dcdd8cf79374cd86d835ad4fa022a.jpeg

• Like 2

2nd Gala night’s menu was meh so we started our night with champagne at the Crow’s Nest and finished it at the Lido Market

B28083B7-0534-45DC-9AE2-F17ED571875A.thumb.jpeg.aa1b961e9c5bd685d23c0e7cad7b8325.jpegDE0823D8-1D4D-4294-810B-4B47A0B9C01B.thumb.jpeg.0336639affa00a01bb5bdf03fb856057.jpeg

be sure to keep an eye out for Leigh Frenchman,  chef de partie at the Lido. He was so much fun and took care of everyone who stopped by his station. He promised the bread pudding would be “life-changing” and it was 😉

644A5782-638C-4B47-B689-2C9FB8D9481B.thumb.jpeg.fc00a07decb1aa0e0de0dc13d8ddc505.jpeg

Final night we stopped by the Lido again for some amazing roti and chicken tikka masala 🤤580B1B5B-A6B5-46FA-87CC-E5771DDE01DC.thumb.jpeg.56dc6353aa93c54efefec624cc0deec8.jpeg

Some menus from Lido0F79EA2F-27AC-4F29-94BE-F0AF0D414CA0.thumb.png.7a4de02b49f6c6c56bb0105a4d9a857f.pngB3683D02-A207-4C91-9944-51DB6F3CE105.thumb.png.dae07efa8e9fbb0133baf9d859ed3233.pngAA0935ED-DE9C-4E36-9634-5F9DD09E7B44.thumb.png.0bc00336ce900cfb7edb7e0e2f180f61.png

• Like 2