Princess medallion - how do the cabin lights get/stay turned on now without a room card to put in the switch?

TheBigIsland BC

On 10/11/2021 at 1:55 PM, greenie082756 said:

Wouldn't it be cool if the door unlocked and the lights came on via the Medallion? 

If they can get the door to unlock you would think that entry lights should come on as well.

Sure...that way you will be awakened rather abruptly when your kids come in at their curfew time...or later.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, jennmaybe said:

Hi CC peeps!  I know this is an old thread, but I was hoping to check and see if we need a card for the lights on Enchanted?  (I didn’t want to start a new one)

They still activate with a card, any card will do. They have on already in place.

Yes, the room lights are activated by a card in a slot.  There is a dummy card in the slot.

Recently on the Sky, our cabin steward asked us if we would mind participating in an saving program.  For the evening turndown service, my cabin steward left the switches on for the bedside lamps, but left the card in the slot at an angle, which kept the lamps off.  When we retuned to our cabin for the night, we inserted the card fully, which turned on the bedside lamps.  Worked for us and I suppose it was saving the ship some energy consumption, however little.  Only time I've experienced this on Princess.

• Like 1

We're currently on our first trip on the Discovery which AFAIK is the newest ship in the fleet. There is no indication of any motion activated floor lighting, there is no card needed to turn the lights on or off, though the card slot is there, and all lights are manually activated by the various switches around the cabin. If we leave a light on, it stays on until we return, though I don't know if somehow the lights in the cabin are "activated" by the presence of the Medallions in the room. I do know that yesterday when we left the cabin to hit San Francisco, we had turned all lights off. When we returned, we noticed that Stewart had accidentally left the bathroom light on when he had done our cabin that morning.  So there are many variations of cabin lighting in the Princess fleet

On 10/11/2021 at 1:55 PM, greenie082756 said:

Wouldn't it be cool if the door unlocked and the lights came on via the Medallion? 

If they can get the door to unlock you would think that entry lights should come on as well.

I’m no electrician, but wouldn’t you have to rewire every cabin to accomplish this?  Maybe in any ship under construction or on the drawing board.

I always have a spare card to slip into the slots in European hotel rooms.

Edited by BamaVol