Debarkation Day Question (I know, I hate saying that dirty word too)

IMKTDQT810

I know each port is different along with each ship.....but I am starting to look at airfare for our June 2022 Magic cruise from Norfolk. (1st cruise back in over 5 years) The carnival site states "Option 1 - Express Debark: In order to be cleared off the ship shortly after arrival in the homeport, guests have the option of participating in our Express Debark Program if they elect to carry off their own luggage. The guest should first consider the size of the luggage and whether it can safely be maneuvered through stairs, hallways and escalators. Express Debark is a great option for anyone with an early flight back home." and "Prior to the day before debarkation, those guests with early flights home need to register with Guest Services in order to ensure they are assigned the proper Zone number."

So what does Carnival consider "early flight home" and how EARLY have folks been able to walk off the ship and then get through customs? There is a 11:04 am flight but I admit I'm a nervous nillie knowing we would need to get off the ship, through customs, get an uber/Taxi, get to the airport (approx 10 miles/ 15 mins as per maps.google), get our luggage checked in and get to the gate. TIA!

We were on Magic a few weeks ago out of Port Canaveral.  They've changed the self-debarkation process somewhat, don't know if it'll be a permanent change or not.  You simply find a comfortable place to relax on the ship while you enjoy some coffee and they call you based on your muster station.  This seemed to go fairly smoothly, but the last group of self debark passengers weren't called until after 9:30 as I recall...... and then you still had to make your way through the line going into the terminal and get through customs. 

In my opinion an 11 o'clock flight would be pushing it.

• Like 2

@groundloop Thank you very much for this information. Knowing that Port Canaveral currently has the last self debark at 9:30 is helpful since Norfolk will only start back up the month prior to our sailing so about 4-5 weeks and might still have kinks to work out that could delay us. So yes, I agree that 11 am flight would be cutting it too close for comfort. Thank you for taking the time to respond, I greatly appreciate it!

• Like 2