Carnival Valor Live*/Solo/B2B 11/6-11/11/21 & 11/11-11/15/2021

JRL81

31 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

I pretty much "invented" that method of packing on my own, except I use a large plastic garbage bag, and tape it all up into a rectangle. Everything always arrives in perfect condition, and no wrinkles...

I'm glad to know that it came from some one I follow!! It has done nothing but help me for sure! 

• Like 2

Jay,

I happened across your thread, Valor caught my attention. I will also be on the Valor but not until December so I'm really anxious to see what your comments are.

I was starting to think you and I were brother and sister from different mothers. I was reading along and thought WOW our personalities are exact on...until you said you like the inside cabins. Dude, sorry but there is nothing better than sitting on your balcony when you get up in the mornings with a cup of coffee and before retiring for the night with a drink beside you. Just saying.

I am glad to find someone who cruises solo and who enjoys a lot of the same things I do.  My husband passed away in April so this will be my first cruise by myself. I had mixed emotions but after reading this thread I'm feeling better about it to the point of excited. I know he wouldn't want me sitting at home feeling sad for myself.

So thank you for your crazy, wonderful and anticipated thoughts about cruising and life in general and i will keep watch to see if you do take that March cruise, maybe out of Long Beach on the Miracle?!?!

On second thought...that may not be a good idea. My crystal ball shows trouble aboard the Valor 😂

Terry

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Ma-n-Pa said:

Jay,

I happened across your thread, Valor caught my attention. I will also be on the Valor but not until December so I'm really anxious to see what your comments are.

I was starting to think you and I were brother and sister from different mothers. I was reading along and thought WOW our personalities are exact on...until you said you like the inside cabins. Dude, sorry but there is nothing better than sitting on your balcony when you get up in the mornings with a cup of coffee and before retiring for the night with a drink beside you. Just saying.

I am glad to find someone who cruises solo and who enjoys a lot of the same things I do.  My husband passed away in April so this will be my first cruise by myself. I had mixed emotions but after reading this thread I'm feeling better about it to the point of excited. I know he wouldn't want me sitting at home feeling sad for myself.

So thank you for your crazy, wonderful and anticipated thoughts about cruising and life in general and i will keep watch to see if you do take that March cruise, maybe out of Long Beach on the Miracle?!?!

On second thought...that may not be a good idea. My crystal ball shows trouble aboard the Valor 😂

Terry

Ms Terry- 

first I am very sorry for your loss and my thoughts go with you on that first cruise solo! I like the insides due mainly to cost. Sailing inside frees up funds to cruise more often lol and by booking lido I can still get that early morning or late late evening alone time (most of the time). As for March I’m actually intrigued by the panorama itinerary and the horizon out of Miami.. just haven’t made up my mind yet!!!

~Jay~ 

20 minutes ago, CruisinMama2003 said:

Wow thats pretty cool! Ive got the packing cubes too, and I do like them, but this method has me intrigued! I need to try this next month on my cruise. I also like that theres minimal wrinkling of the clothes this way 👍

It works wonders that’s for sure!!! I also still use my packing cubes in my back pack to allow a day or twos worth of knock around clothes before boarding!

~Jay~

• Like 2

On 10/23/2021 at 9:37 AM, desiree741 said:

Sorry not real familiar with how these forums work , is there a way I can follow op? Im really curious about valor as we will be on her thanksgiving. Thanks for all your effort! 

I will be on the Valor for Thanksgiving as well. Did you join the roll call group?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ma-n-Pa said:

Terry

@Ma-n-Pa......don't be so hard on yourself.  Cruising solo has its advantages, I did it myself for many years.  Lots of people to chat with on board the ship so I was never lonely or alone!  Eat when and where you want, do what you want, get up when you want, snooze when you want.  Give yourself time!

Most cruises also have singles mingles, just to get to meet other singles if you so choose.

As much as I love a balcony like you said, if it meant being able to cruise more often I would not hesitate an inside cabin for sure.....great for sleeping!

In fact my first three solo cruises on Carnival I did where Carnival matched me up with a room mate so there was no single supplement.  We had upper and lowers, in fact one of the cruises everyone gathered in my cabin to watch the infamous OJ chase on TV.

I never saw my roomate we had opposite dining times.  This was all before "anytime dining".

You are going to have a great time!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

I pretty much "invented" that method of packing on my own, except I use a large plastic garbage bag, and tape it all up into a rectangle. Everything always arrives in perfect condition, and no wrinkles...

Funny @sid_9169 I immediately thought of your packing method when I was watching the video!

• Like 3

UGH... why oh why does it seem that EVERYTIME the word vacation is thought, spoken, planned, or processed that the last week MUST become a $#!T show at work? I still have to make it until NEXT Wednesday before I clock out for the last time before travel day... Usually the "fun" at work hold off until the Monday of the week of the trip... Not this year 🤧

~Jay~ 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JRL81 said:

UGH... why oh why does it seem that EVERYTIME the word vacation is thought, spoken, planned, or processed that the last week MUST become a $#!T show at work? I still have to make it until NEXT Wednesday before I clock out for the last time before travel day... Usually the "fun" at work hold off until the Monday of the week of the trip... Not this year 🤧

~Jay~ 

Never fails, always happens to me too when Im about to go on vacation, or if I gotta leave work early!  

Just keep thinking "only 4 more work days, only 4 more work days" 😁 

• Like 1

One of the field agents in our office has had an interesting few weeks, which in turns makes my life interesting... 3 weeks ago he had continuing Ed classes for his licensing, he then missed a week being sick, last week he and his spouse were on vacation for their anniversary... Did I mention we are in the middle of one of our busier times of year? He was to do a Data dump for me to process before and after his CEU's (classes), he did the before haven't seen anything since. When he is in office he claims to be responding to "Hundreds" of emails he missed while out (he is watching movies on one scree, managing fantasy leagues on the other and playing games on his phone!!!). His data has to be processed and entered by ME... We are talking 1/3 of his part of the work for the season... not turned in... Yesterday he gave me a partials data dump in HARD COPY!!!!! So now, it has to be SCANNED as well has entered... 

image.png.6ec3baa5fa99a0e3d55b64da8f8dfd3d.png

I am now truly having one of those anxiety attacks and butthole puckering moments... I KNOW I can get this batch done, between yesterday and today this will all be entered and out of my hair.. BUT.... 

B

U

T

. My Issue comes in the fact that I know this person will also be gone Next week as well, which means he will work his @$$ off to DUMP what he can on me between today and Monday (they work weekends I don't). My guess is a stack at least 16-18 inches tall will be dumped on my desk soon.... I try to convince these guys not to wait to the last minute, every year we have this talk, but there is always one... I know one should never engage in a battle of wits when you opponent lacks the required weapons... but come on... 

~Jay~  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CruisinMama2003 said:

Never fails, always happens to me too when Im about to go on vacation, or if I gotta leave work early!  

Just keep thinking "only 4 more work days, only 4 more work days" 😁 

Most definitely!!! The count down clock is going and I am reviewing jigs and happy dances... trying to determine which I want to use on the way out the door Wednesday!!!! 😁

~Jay~ 

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, JRL81 said:

One of the field agents in our office has had an interesting few weeks, which in turns makes my life interesting... 3 weeks ago he had continuing Ed classes for his licensing, he then missed a week being sick, last week he and his spouse were on vacation for their anniversary... Did I mention we are in the middle of one of our busier times of year? He was to do a Data dump for me to process before and after his CEU's (classes), he did the before haven't seen anything since. When he is in office he claims to be responding to "Hundreds" of emails he missed while out (he is watching movies on one scree, managing fantasy leagues on the other and playing games on his phone!!!). His data has to be processed and entered by ME... We are talking 1/3 of his part of the work for the season... not turned in... Yesterday he gave me a partials data dump in HARD COPY!!!!! So now, it has to be SCANNED as well has entered... 

image.png.6ec3baa5fa99a0e3d55b64da8f8dfd3d.png

I am now truly having one of those anxiety attacks and butthole puckering moments... I KNOW I can get this batch done, between yesterday and today this will all be entered and out of my hair.. BUT.... 

B

U

T

. My Issue comes in the fact that I know this person will also be gone Next week as well, which means he will work his @$$ off to DUMP what he can on me between today and Monday (they work weekends I don't). My guess is a stack at least 16-18 inches tall will be dumped on my desk soon.... I try to convince these guys not to wait to the last minute, every year we have this talk, but there is always one... I know one should never engage in a battle of wits when you opponent lacks the required weapons... but come on... 

~Jay~  

Im annoyed just reading about this guy haha! I couldnt deal with that, i would have to get ugly 😁

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, CruisinMama2003 said:

Im annoyed just reading about this guy haha! I couldnt deal with that, i would have to get ugly 😁

I personally followed the Ron White method mostly followed with the Larry the Cable Guy respones...

"I pray for patience, for if I prayed for strength... I might kill someone..." -Ron White

"Lord.. I apologize... and bless the pygmies in New Guinea... Amen" - Larry the Cable Guy

🤣😂🤣

~Jay~

• Like 3

I have started pulling out and putting together all my paperwork, travel documents (boarding pass, luggage tags, etc.), printed off my info required for my excursions… Getting everything somewhat organized to begin the packing process this weekend. I will take my time make sure I have it all and that I don’t leave anything important behind. Mainly, my gut tells me I will be too busy this next week at work, which in turn will have me bone tired when I get home, to try and speed pack on Wednesday. The only thing paperwork wise I do not have yet is the email from the BarHop for our second leg. That paperwork should arrive via email some time next weekend or the following week… They say no more than 7-10 before your trip. So, I will have it in my email and not a printed copy until I can get to a work station on board to print.

I still need to make copies of my Passport, ID, and Insurance cards. I generally have 2 copies of these documents. Let me explain, as a solo traveler and someone with some medical difficulties it is more for the peace of mind of my family than anything else. One copy of these documents go with me in my backpack and are what I take off the ship with me at most places along with S&S card. The second set along with a copy of my cruise insurance, my will, POA, and other documents are left with my mother, in the event they are needed she can get them directly to my sister as required. I cannot stress enough the importance of having some form of ID other than your driver licenses or S&S card with you in the event of an emergency while a shore or simply due to missing the ship… I also print off the information for my hotel stay pre-embarkation.

~Jay

• Like 4

I love getting surprise packages from Amazon… I usually have everything delivered to my place, but I guess I was in a hurry and it shipped here to work… not complaining as I had totally forgot I had even ordered these!!! Noise canceling, wireless/Bluetooth, but also able to be plugged in… $22.99+tax on Amazon.

image.png.76319aa298ae2879873df431cf57f324.png

I think I have one or two more things suppose to be here BEFORE I leave but, they are not for this trip the rest is coming in after. I am shopping for Christmas already lol.

~Jay~

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JRL81 said:

I personally followed the Ron White method mostly followed with the Larry the Cable Guy respones...

"I pray for patience, for if I prayed for strength... I might kill someone..." -Ron White

"Lord.. I apologize... and bless the pygmies in New Guinea... Amen" - Larry the Cable Guy

🤣😂🤣

~Jay~

🤣🤣🤣 love those guys!

• Like 1

Online Check-in, Setup, Questionnaires

Since I am but a lowly “GOLD” VIFP, I had to wait for my online check-in until the 23rd, midnight on Thursday worked just as well lol, and the 28th for the second leg. The process has changed some as many will note but the end game is the same as you just have a few extra questions to answer to get that all clear and all checked in. It was rather quick and painless in my opinion. I did notice for the first time, it has been a while since I cruised out of NOLA, that we were given the option to “speed up” the boarding and check-in process with facial recognition. Now, I am all about that if it makes life easier, it definitely sped up and improved the process in Miami so if it is just as officiant here I will give major kudo’s to the staff at the Port of New Orleans. I was somewhat surprised to not be asked to upload a picture of my passport… But, seeing as how opted into the facial recognition it might now be need. You are now asked to read not only your cruise contract but also the COVID disclaimers, another addition, and to decide how to set up your onboard account. As always I will be using the cash option, as I have a good bit of onboard credit and a few gift cards to apply so I am set. I will of course have cash to put on but I don’t see myself blowing through that much. All in all it took MAYBE 5-6 minutes each time I had to do this. It was literarily one of the easiest ones I have done even pre-Rona…

~Jay~

• Like 3

Hide & Seek? Or… Seek & Destroy…

image.jpeg.cd2e6c8fe732a342769c6d95fa1b6515.jpeg

I have become addicted to “The Duck Life”…

Hello…

My name is Jay and I am a cruising and cruising duck addict…

My addiction began on my last cruise, waaaaaay to long ago to even mention, when I stumbled across 5... count’em 5 ducks!!! SCORE!!! I found a Mardi Gras duck, a Santa duck, an Elf duck, a plain jane and one that could only be described as a Picasso…  The poor fella look melted lol… Now I know there are supposedly “support” groups for this addiction and I might be a member of one… or two… or ten. I was hooked after returning home and giving these little critters to my kiddos as well as one to my nephew. As way for them to have a piece of a faraway place!

For this trip I collected my little critters from several different places… Oriental trading, Amazon, and the devil store. I bought in bulk but, I have decided on a plan of even distribution of these dudes of both legs of this trip. We have a collection of Super Villian’s, Beach Bums, and some Original duckies making this trip with me all hoping for new homes!!! The plan will be to hide 15 on each leg of the cruise and hope that they are enjoyed as much as I enjoy sharing this little bit of fun with others. The bright smiles and sparkling eyes… The giggling and excitement when they are found is wonderful to watch… and that’s just the adults!!! When they are found by the children that is what is truly special and a memory that I will always cherish!

~Jay~

• Like 5

On 10/22/2021 at 2:29 PM, JRL81 said:

THE PREVENTATIVES

image.png.ffa9e8c84b23f91573a75866784a020f.png

Since I do quite a bit of over indulging while on vacation, I might do it in my home life as well, I always travel with preventatives and restoratives now. This all comes back to hating myself one too many mornings and instead of a big red and 5 asprin, needing to find something better. Many people have reviewed the party patch, Rebound, FlyBy, etc. @sid_9169 has done a wonderful job of “testing” and “reviewing” said products but, it comes down to what suits you best. I have found a combination of several things that works well for me and I am actually HUMAN after a bender now!!! So my routine is as follows:

Patch: applied before drinking obviously- Amazon $18.99+tax

image.png.662d3aecd4de8f10b7d06aa45b66ba25.png

Prevent. Capsules: taken as directed BEFORE the heavy drinking begins- Amazon $19.95+tax

image.png.9d4d47787184cf2b6d54a350ef4233be.png

Restorative Capsules: taken as directed in the morning with a full glass of water- Amazon $25.99+ tax

image.png.c67f3d50b23152b81f47bc36a1bdab0e.png

This regiment has proven to work for me. I have tried many different things and through trial and error, along with headaches and hangovers, this is what I have found works best for me. I have noticed that as I have gotten older that those small headaches in the mornings after a bender have turned into a hangover lasting 2-3 days after just a few drinks!!! That is not tolerable!!! Especially, going on this vacation, I want to be able to enjoy it without sleeping it away. No, if I want a nap, it will be by design or choice, not because I feel like warmed over dog mess.

~Jay~

So I bought both supplements and plan to test run them before my cruise. Googling Flyby says to take 3 before drinking and 3 before bed. Have you tried different doses?